USB serial interface driver problem, error message; can't find file

videobruce

Win 7 Pro, AMD based MB;

I have two devices; TV SLM (Signal Level Meter) & 2 Uniden radio Scanners that use a USB connection for programming & F/W updates etc. When I try to loads the drivers for either I get errors or the driver just doesn't load.

The current problem are these radio scanners where the Uniden driver is a small file that should be loaded thru DM. The error I get is that it found the software but couldn't find the file (typical M$ lamo error message). The interesting part is I can access the Micro SD interior data card on the scanner, but I can't 'see' the radios O/S itself for control or programming.

My assumption is I'm missing some related missing core O/S file of some unknown type. Now i have other devices that use to communicated functions (programming remote controls) that have no issue.

My question is; the scanners have a ';serial' type of communication (virtual serial port via USB), I'm not sure of the SLM, but I'm guessing it's the same or similar deal. The drivers are different for the two companies. What type of names of associated O/S files or even services (thou I doubt that) might be missing here?

Any more info please ask.

1023017149_DMErrormessage.png.6efab681efc2c31a13c25cead1ddb839.png

Edited by videobruce

• videobruce changed the title to USB serial interface driver problem, error message; can't find file

This message means that a file or path is specified in the INF that does not exist on the system. Either the driver package is incomplete, a pre-requisite is missing or Windows does not have access to a particular path. It should be as simple as looking for the files specified in teh INF and making sure they are actually present in the driver folder.

Also, you can get this type of issue (or other errors) by attempting to update USB devices from files that are on a USB device itself. Because some drivers will reset the USB controller (at least on the software level) so if the driver files are on a USB drive, they may temporarily be unavailable during the install process. To get around this, copy the drivers to HDD before trying to install them. This can also happen when trying to install some drivers from a network share, if the drivers use relative paths, it will look for files in a working dir instead of on the network share.

"a pre-requisite is missing or Windows does not have access to a particular path"

Seems to be the reason. I successfully loaded the same driver in my XP Pro laptop with no issue as I did for that meter (again, not the same driver). Another scanner owner (6 years back in a thread) had the identical problem, ironically his solution was to use his Laptop (but no details to the O/S or MB chipsets were given).

The driver is here;

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/UnidenMan4/BCD996P2/uniden_usbser.zip

uniden_usbser.zip

Edited by videobruce
added link

INFs for these types of devices tend to differ from the one you linked to in the following ways (at least the other two I've seen):

• FakeModemCopyFileSection=12 is added under [DestinationDirs]
  • CopyFiles is set to FakeModemCopyFileSection (so DriverCopyFiles.nt and DriverCopyFiles.NTamd64 sections are redundant)

Based on these observations, below is a trimmed version of uniden_usbser.inf:

;--------------------------------------------------------
;	Uniden
;
;	Communication Device Class
;	Virtual Serial Port
;
;	1/1/2014
;--------------------------------------------------------

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
Class=Ports
ClassGuid={4D36E978-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Provider=%MFGNAME%
DriverVer=01/01/2014,1.0.0.0
CatalogFile=%MFGFILENAME%.cat

[Manufacturer]
%MFGNAME%=DeviceList,ntamd64

[DeviceList]
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_1965&PID_0016
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_1965&PID_0017
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_1965&PID_0018
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_1965&PID_0019
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_1965&PID_001A

[DeviceList.ntamd64]
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_1965&PID_0016
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_1965&PID_0017
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_1965&PID_0018
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_1965&PID_0019
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_1965&PID_001A

[SourceDisksFiles]

[SourceDisksNames]

[DestinationDirs]
FakeModemCopyFileSection=12
DefaultDestDir=12

[DriverInstall]
include=mdmcpq.inf
CopyFiles=FakeModemCopyFileSection
AddReg=DriverInstall.AddReg

[DriverInstall.AddReg]
HKR,,DevLoader,,*ntkern
HKR,,NTMPDriver,,usbser.sys
HKR,,EnumPropPages32,,"MsPorts.dll,SerialPortPropPageProvider"

[DriverInstall.Services]
AddService=usbser, 0x00000002, DriverService

[DriverService]
DisplayName=%UsbSerial.DriverDesc%
ServiceType=1
StartType=3
ErrorControl=1
ServiceBinary=%12%\usbser.sys

[Strings]
MFGNAME="Uniden Corporation"
MFGFILENAME="Uniden_usbser"
INSTDISK="USB2UART"
DESCRIPTION="Uniden Serial Port"
UsbSerial.DriverDesc="Microsoft USB Serial Driver"

You'll have to turn on test mode to install it (or maybe not), afterwards, it should work with test mode disabled since only Microsoft's official signed driver file is loaded.

Edited by UCyborg
Cosmetic fixes

Well, I tried it as is, normal install, but the error was "A service installation section in this INF is invalid". And now DM shows COM7 instead of the original device name.

Edited by videobruce
typo

2 hours ago, videobruce said:

Test mode??

http://maxedtech.com/about-testmode/ - I'd go with Disable Driver Signature Enforcement method on this one.

2 hours ago, videobruce said:

Well, I tried it as is, normal install, but the error was "A service installation section in this INF is invalid". And now DM shows COM7 instead of the original device name.

Seems it wasn't copied right from the browser, the whole file is perfectly valid. :dubbio:

And here's the description of the issue you're experiencing: Why CDC Serial Device installation fails on Windows Vista and 7 ?

I re-copied the text and compared it to your post & the 1st copy and they are identical! I used 'Notepad2' instead of M$'s 'Notepad', would that matter?

What and who is Microchip and where does that fit into this?? Other than that other guy with the same problem, one else reports issues, I find it hard to believe whatever this 'bug' issue is it works ok in XP. But I will see if I can try some of the above. :unsure:

Edited by videobruce
comments

9 hours ago, videobruce said:

I used 'Notepad2' instead of M$'s 'Notepad', would that matter?

No.

9 hours ago, videobruce said:

What and who is Microchip and where does that fit into this??

Their devices communicate via USB using virtual COM port.

4 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Is it possible that a service already exists on the system with the same name as the one that this new INF is trying to create?

Many INFs wouldn't work then. It's not a critical error that would abort everything.

I haven't a clue what OP's issue is. Both INFs work for me, at least I could force install through Add legacy hardware wizard since I don't have an actual device to test.

I tried to replicate the bug with original INF by deleting usbser.sys from C:\Windows\System32\drivers and running sc delete usbser from Command Prompt, but still the driver service was installed and usbser.sys appeared in drivers folder, so who knows under what actual circumstances does this bug they speak of appear.

Edited by UCyborg

After additional research, I believe this has to do with missing modem files; either drivers and/or protocols. When I compiled my version of Win7 Pro, I removed the modem drivers (not needed) and to get rid of the bloat. Until a couple of years ago when another device had a communication problem using a similar communications protocol (USB serial port) now this, I put 2 & 2 together and come up with this modem assumption. I have read that there is a connection to modems somehow (still no idea why) that this may be the missing file.

I have no other explanation. My older XP Laptop (that has a actual modem), those drivers were not removed and that hasn't been a problem with this or the other device.

Maybe not the best example, but see here;

https://tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO-4.html

Edited by videobruce
added link

Ok, lets try this route;

actually replacing the missing "Standard Modem Driver" from the installed O/S. This is NOT vendor specific!

The "Modem" group of drivers was intentionally not added (who needs a modem anymore) when compiling a Win 7 Pro O/S thru RT7 Lite that up to this point (5 years later) was not missed. Without completely re-complying a new O/S (which is a huge project), there must be a way to selectively re-add this single item (drivers and/or protocols).

This without the actual DVD, just the ISO or the separate original files are available.

image.png.fa4d77c22f86f651f01fb43ba3572437.png

• 5 weeks later...