Bugchecks visiting websites fixed by updating USB driver?

Tripredacus

I wanted to post into here an experience I've had with my development machine, it is quite possibly "solved" but the things done to fix it do not line up. Hopefully either the problem is solved OR the problem returns but has a more definitive error to work from. And the reason why I wanted to post it as a thread is because I do not know if the issue is related to SSL.

For the backstory, this computer is SKYLYNXV2 which has Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 with minimal updates. It is a fairly recent installation as it did have Win7 32bit as of 2019 when the system had an "incident" that required a rebuild. The system has been decent since that time with no real issue. Possibly unrelated, but not certain, the only issue that has been seen in the past month or so:

- Ebay pages in Iron tabs would randomly crash immediately or after a few minutes of being open. Say open up 5 tabs, 1-2 of those would crash with the "Aw snap" message. Reload fixed.

This morning I was doing my browser work as usual when suddenly I get a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT bugcheck. Rebooted, checked the .dmp in windbg, nothing really sticking out other than the crash was caused by chrome.exe. Ran memtest for 2 hours, no errors. Boot back into Windows, check eventvwr, nothing special besides SChannel (which is SSL related but there isn't any way I can find that points to what app/process received the error on what file or location that prompted the log to be written) and WMIC error relating to the processor... and some other computer on the network rejecting the Master Browser request.

Open Iron, bugcheck 0xD1 pointing to USB. Restart, try Firefox, same error. Eventually determined that it was not the sole act of opening a browser that caused the bugcheck, rather going to a page that required SSL. What does that mean and why would going to an HTTPS site cause the USB driver to crash the OS? I only have keyboard and mouse. So i want to check for virus, run Malwarebytes but it complains that an update is missing. It tries to go online to get the update but again... 0xD1. The complete process that has (currently) resolved the issue of getting bugcheck when trying to visit HTTPS website is:

- install KB4474419 v3 (the update Malwarebytes wanted, name was stored in the log file in AppData for the installer)
- run malwarebytes (it only finds false-positives)
- clear cache/history/etc from Firefox and Iron
- update the driver for the USB Controller (was using the stock "2006" MS driver, updated to one from 2014 from Intel)

Now everything is back to normal.

So now the thing to point out here is that KB4774419 is a sha-2 code signing update which was the reason why I wanted to post this, considering there has been a lot of talk on the forum about it lately. And I really hope that the "windows crashes when visiting websites" isn't actually fixed by installing an SHA-2 code signing update and installing a 7 year old USB driver.

Did some deadline relating to certs come to pass from May 14th to 17th? Or is it just a coincidence? :ph34r:

Well ok, but did you have this same issue?

I also forgot to mention that I also uninstalled all of the USB devices as seen in NirSoft's USBDeview before updating the driver for the USB controller.

And as far as the method for troubleshooting, the typical, take one thing at a time, which was:
1. run windbg on the memory.dmp and it pointed to Chrome, so attempted to do an Update in Iron but it does not have an update option like Google Chrome does. So I ran memtest.
2. Then I wanted to run the virus scan, but it complained of the SHA2 update being missing
3. the next crashes produced memory.dmp that pointed to USB driver, so I did the USB driver stuff.

Then of course, the issue disappeared.

This is interesting, but there might not be many Windows 7 users who have avoided installing SHA-2 support as long as you did - particularly if they use security software. (I believe dencorso uses Microsoft Security Essentials on his Win7 systems, so he has needed SHA-2 support since 2019.) This Malwarebytes Support article has a legacy download link for users who prefer to avoid Windows updates. In Settings, one would need to deselect “Check for program updates when checking for database updates” (at least that’s how it reads in the much older Malwarebytes version I use on Vista).

I had similar issues with my Windows XP x86 system. It crashes when I open a lot of tabs, and if I connect an usb when MiniBrowser (chromium bassed browser) is opened, the browser is closed automatically. Don't understand why it happends.

16 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

This is interesting, but there might not be many Windows 7 users who have avoided installing SHA-2 support as long as you did - particularly if they use security software. (I believe dencorso uses Microsoft Security Essentials on his Win7 systems, so he has needed SHA-2 support since 2019.) This Malwarebytes Support article has a legacy download link for users who prefer to avoid Windows updates. In Settings, one would need to deselect “Check for program updates when checking for database updates” (at least that’s how it reads in the much older Malwarebytes version I use on Vista).

I had to install both kb4474419 and kb4490628 before I could install the Nvidia video driver.  As far as issues, I have not experienced the OP's issues, nor any other issues.

On 5/19/2021 at 3:20 AM, mshultz said:

I had to install both kb4474419 and kb4490628 before I could install the Nvidia video driver.

that's because the newest nVidia drivers (esp. new graphics drivers) require those SHA-2 updates as noted in this nVidia support document.
I did not see anything similar from AMD nor Intel for their recent drivers on their respective sites