Windows 10 - Intel GMA 3150 ?

yoltboy01

Hey guys, I am having a Netbook (Inspiron Mini 1012) with Windows 7 Starter preinstalled. I replaced the 1GB RAM Chip as well the 160GB HDD with 2GB RAM and 120GB SSD. Furthermore, the netbook has an Intel Atom N450, as well as a Intel GMA 3150 Graphics chip. 

I can install Windows 10 (1507) as well as 1511, however starting with the Anniversary Update (1607), the Graphics are very buggy and the system becomes unstable. I even used NTLite, to make a Lite version of 1607, however it still does not provide any speed improvements. Everything that comes after 1607 is a catastrophe. 

What can I do to improve speed and can I make the Graphics somehow compatible with 1607? 

6 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

Hey guys, I am having a Netbook (Inspiron Mini 1012) with Windows 7 Starter preinstalled. I replaced the 1GB RAM Chip as well the 160GB HDD with 2GB RAM and 120GB SSD. Furthermore, the netbook has an Intel Atom N450, as well as a Intel GMA 3150 Graphics chip. 

I can install Windows 10 (1507) as well as 1511, however starting with the Anniversary Update (1607), the Graphics are very buggy and the system becomes unstable. I even used NTLite, to make a Lite version of 1607, however it still does not provide any speed improvements. Everything that comes after 1607 is a catastrophe. 

What can I do to improve speed and can I make the Graphics somehow compatible with 1607? 

I can suggest using Windows 8.1 with classic shell. This little notebook needs every single performance help it can get. Using old not supported windows 10 is just a bad idea by me. Windows 8.1 is the fastest os for slow machine like this one and still gets security updates. It's on you but I suggest downgrading to win 8

1 hour ago, Jaguarek62 said:

I can suggest using Windows 8.1 with classic shell. This little notebook needs every single performance help it can get. Using old not supported windows 10 is just a bad idea by me. Windows 8.1 is the fastest os for slow machine like this one and still gets security updates. It's on you but I suggest downgrading to win 8

Thanks for your answer! I know, I installed Windows 8(.1) on this old machine and it is really the fastest after Windows XP. Windows 7 was praised for being super duper fast but is soo slow I cant.. Windows 10 1507/1511 are as „fast“ as Windows 7. They really need 40-70 seconds for booting up, while 8.0 only needed 9 seconds. However, I feel like it‘s such a shame that I wont be able to use Windows 8.1‘s full potential on that machine, since it only has a 1024x600 resolution, which isnt enough to run metro apps. 

19 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

Thanks for your answer! I know, I installed Windows 8(.1) on this old machine and it is really the fastest after Windows XP. Windows 7 was praised for being super duper fast but is soo slow I cant.. Windows 10 1507/1511 are as „fast“ as Windows 7. They really need 40-70 seconds for booting up, while 8.0 only needed 9 seconds. However, I feel like it‘s such a shame that I wont be able to use Windows 8.1‘s full potential on that machine, since it only has a 1024x600 resolution, which isnt enough to run metro apps. 

Honestly you don't need to use metro apps at all. Once you're at the desktop you don't have to think about metro anymore

I used to have an Asus netbook with very similar hardware.
I went from Windows 7 Starter to Windows 8.1 on it too, and also upgraded the memory (to 4GB) and put an SSD in.
It was still pretty slow, but usable.
It wouldn't run Windows 10 at all as there was no compatible graphics driver, there are only Windows 7 drivers for that graphics chip.
The Windows 7 driver I was using on Windows 8.1 just crashed all the time with Windows 10, and even with Windows 8.1 many Metro apps would crash so I couldn't use them.
It was a 1024x600 screen too, but I used a registry hack to allow the graphics to switch to 1024x768 mode so the metro apps that didn't crash would at least start. The quality wasn't great though as it wasn't using the native resolution of the screen, and the image was distorted.
Usable for things like e-mail, weather, and news though.
So I agree, use Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell (now Open Shell) and that's the best you can do I think.
The registry hack (Google for it) will enable you to use some, but not all, Metro apps.
:)