Share your Microsoft Windows Vista Experience!

Win10-Hater

1 minute ago, Dixel said:

Ok , I see you didn't use SP1 enough . Just try it with real hardware , you won't regret . There were some good camparsions , but they got deleted . This is just what left , as one can see SP1 is faster , in real life it is even faster https://technogog.com/information/vista-sp1-vs-sp2/

I would use SP1 and actually uninstall SP2 and all other updates that I have installed, it's just that I cannot give up on using extended kernel. I need it.

3 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

@Dixel Is Vista your main OS for stuff like document creation?

Vista is my main OS for everything , I  think I told before . I use SP1 for gaming on my 1st PC and SP2 for internet on the 2nd . I also have a 7 y.o. laptop which had W8 , but I deleted it and installed XP Pro , I have a Box Version .

9 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

No, you only said this:

"I use SP2 for internet PC and SP1 for gaming . Never installed any updates and still alive."

I'm sorry , I must had written someone else , but it was on this forum . Oh , and you can use the local redirection method . There's no need to replace system files , but I'm sure you know this already.

Edit : also tried  local redirection method with files from SP2 on SP1 , it worked.

Edited by Dixel

22 hours ago, Dixel said:

Ok , I see you didn't use SP1 enough . Just try it with real hardware , you won't regret . There were some good camparsions , but they got deleted . This is just what left , as one can see SP1 is faster , in real life it is even faster https://technogog.com/information/vista-sp1-vs-sp2/

Ok, so I used SP1 on my secondary Pentium D desktop and stuff is...... just a little bit faster than it was with SP2. I could sacrifice that little speed for all the updates till Jan. 2020 and extended kernel (I honestly don't know the local redirection method and if I try it, stuff might break, I have always been breaking stuff on the desktop, which made me reinstall Vista too often). No offence intended though.

20 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

Ok, so I used SP1 on my secondary Pentium D desktop and stuff is...... just a little bit faster than it was with SP2. I could sacrifice that little speed for all the updates till Jan. 2020 and extended kernel (I honestly don't know the local redirection method and if I try it, stuff might break, I have always been breaking stuff on the desktop, which made me reinstall Vista too often). No offence intended though.

On the contrary , the local redirection method is when you don't mess with your system files at all , you just copy them to the program installation folder (the one you want to launch, right where the main executable resides ) . Also, you need to apply redirection in the registry , reboot after it and create an empty file "yourgamename.exe.local"  , where "yourgamename" will be the name of your program , that's it. I think if you scroll several pages back  , win32 explained this already. This method is far more convenient, in my opinion. By the way , I don't actually use the extended files myself , all of my programs work without them . It's just out of curiosity , for testing and having fun.

Edited by Dixel

11 hours ago, Dixel said:

On the contrary , the local redirection method is when you don't mess with your system files at all , you just copy them to the program installation folder (the one you want to launch, right where the main executable resides ) . Also, you need to apply redirection in the registry , reboot after it and create an empty file "yourgamename.exe.local"  , where "yourgamename" will be the name of your program , that's it. I think if you scroll several pages back  , win32 explained this already. This method is far more convenient, in my opinion. By the way , I don't actually use the extended files myself , all of my programs work without them . It's just out of curiosity , for testing and having fun.

You mean you don't have to even copy over the extended kernel dll's into system32 via Windows Setup cmd? If yes, then that's great! I'll use local redirection and have fun with the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox etc. on Vista! 

12 hours ago, Dixel said:

Also, you need to apply redirection in the registry

Merging the DLLredirectionenabler.reg key into Windows Registry?

On 11/19/2020 at 5:53 AM, TECHGEEK said:

Wow, that's what I'd call a completely future-proofed machine (1200p glass panel!)! 

Your Vista is up to date? Using Chromium with extended kernel is what I recommend instead of browsing on Mypal. You have lots of advantages such as better content viewing on most sites and google meet also works with chromium on Vista. It does not work on mypal/ new moon or similar browsers.

Yes all offical updates. I have not tried extended kernel yet to vista

16 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

You mean you don't have to even copy over the extended kernel dll's into system32 via Windows Setup cmd? If yes, then that's great! I'll use local redirection and have fun with the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox etc. on Vista! 

Merging the DLLredirectionenabler.reg key into Windows Registry?

Yes , you don't have to copy over the extended kernel dll's into system32. You need to copy those files into the program's folder , merge the DLLredirectionenabler.reg , reboot after that (just one time for all) , create an empty file "yourgamename.exe.local"  , where "yourgamename" will be the name of your program's main executable , ".exe.local" extension is the important part , don't forget , place it in the program's directory and that's it. Oh , and check if you have KB4467700 , win32 says it is needed , but in my case it works with or without it. Chromium and many of the others will work . 

Edit: Some programs , like firefox , in addition to that , will require their header patching , it is simple , you can find all of the info on this website.

Edited by Dixel

6 hours ago, Dixel said:

Yes , you don't have to copy over the extended kernel dll's into system32. You need to copy those files into the program's folder , merge the DLLredirectionenabler.reg , reboot after that (just one time for all) , create an empty file "yourgamename.exe.local"  , where "yourgamename" will be the name of your program's main executable , ".exe.local" extension is the important part , don't forget , place it in the program's directory and that's it. Oh , and check if you have KB4467700 , win32 says it is needed , but in my case it works with or without it. Chromium and many of the others will work . 

Edit: Some programs , like firefox , in addition to that , will require their header patching , it is simple , you can find all of the info on this website.

Thanks for the help, will do this

10 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

If any Vista x86 users see this post, please tell me why you use 32 bit Vista. Just curious.

Why did I buy a 32-bit Vista System in the spring of 2008? I wanted a more powerful PC by the end of 2007 and was aware of the theoretical advantages of 64 bit - but as you probably know, Vista was a big flop. I was hearing many bad things about it, and was even advised to replace Vista with XP after buying a PC! That sounded like a waste of money, so I decided to wait until Microsoft released a service pack for Vista. While waiting, I learned that software makers were very reluctant to develop 64-bit products because a large majority of XP systems were 32 bit and Vista was a failure. In early 2008, the best selling point for Vista x64 seemed to be, “You can still run 32-bit software on it.” Well you could also run 32-bit software on a somewhat less expensive Vista x86 system, so that was my decision at the time. (It was not until Windows 7 became the success that Vista never was that x64 really came into its own.)