Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 


Ximonite

KernelXE R2 Public Beta

Recommended Posts

Just now, win32 said:

You should install WildBill's updates before installing kernelxe as it's based on those files.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/vdbwx67dx34jezj/Windows2000-KB2479629-v3-x86-ENU.exe

http://www.mediafire.com/download/kddw215c9u2h36f/Windows2000-KB2508429-v10-x86-ENU.exe

I'm so excited just to have full raw input support. :) Just waiting for school stuff to quiet down and I will have an SSE-only test box.

OK . Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ximonite said:

Is there a reason why you suggested v10 of this update instead of v17?

It was listed at the top of the post. :blushing: Forgot that v17 was also there farther down or that it existed. It's been a few months since I messed around with WB/XE files.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, win32 said:

It was listed at the top of the post. :blushing: Forgot that v17 was also there farther down or that it existed. It's been a few months since I messed around with WB/XE files.

I forgot most of the update numbers too since I made a WildBill update collection that includes everything.

I install SP5, Update Rollup 2, and the WildBill Update Collection on my test computer.

Have you been able to replicate the issues I have on my test PC and do you have any idea what could be causing these issues?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In both cases, with v10 or with v17 ,  BsoD appeared I think the reason is Windows2000-KB935839-v30eM-x86-ENU.wlu an extension installed with Windows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, windows2 said:

In both cases, with v10 or with v17 ,  BsoD appeared I think the reason is Windows2000-KB935839-v30eM-x86-ENU.wlu an extension installed with Windows

That's definitely bound to cause issues. Mixing BlackWingCat and WildBill files is not a good idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ximonite said:

That's definitely bound to cause issues. Mixing BlackWingCat and WildBill files is not a good idea.

SP5, Update Rollup 2, and the WildBill Update Collection is better than BWC update in terms of software and hardware compatibility?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, windows2 said:

SP5, Update Rollup 2, and the WildBill Update Collection is better than BWC update in terms of software and hardware compatibility?

No, but there are some exclusive things in WildBill's files that I don't know enough about to be able to move them to BlackWingCat's dlls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ximonite said:

No, but there are some exclusive things in WildBill's files that I don't know enough about to be able to move them to BlackWingCat's dlls.

OK . Thanks for all the informations you are a fighter, Professor, because you are putting effort into developing Windows 2000. I hope to become as proficient as you are in developing and using IDA :angel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ximonite said:

Have you been able to replicate the issues I have on my test PC and do you have any idea what could be causing these issues?

Yes. nvcpl.dll, uphclean.exe and Internet Explorer also don't load.

uphclean crashed after several calls to FlsAlloc/FlsGetValue/FlsSetValue/FlsFree then EncodePointer/DecodePointer.

Internet Explorer crashed after a CreateActCtxW call.

Perhaps see what happens after commenting each of those sets of calls (replace last character with "_"). Had some Windows 8 functions prevent Vista from properly booting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, win32 said:

Yes. nvcpl.dll, uphclean.exe and Internet Explorer also don't load.

uphclean crashed after several calls to FlsAlloc/FlsGetValue/FlsSetValue/FlsFree then EncodePointer/DecodePointer.

Internet Explorer crashed after a CreateActCtxW call.

Perhaps see what happens after commenting each of those sets of calls (replace last character with "_"). Had some Windows 8 functions prevent Vista from properly booting.

Replacing the W at the end of CreateActCtxW with "_" was enough for explorer.exe to load. I still get the "generated errors" message when trying to run Dependency Walker and CFF Explorer.

The functions you mention happen to be the functions I had the least confidence in, except for EncodePointer and DecodePointer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ximonite said:

The functions you mention happen to be the functions I had the least confidence in, except for EncodePointer and DecodePointer.

I just glossed over the Fls* series of functions. And it's not the most faithful implementation of some of those, when compared to the real Vista ones. I'm about to put those in XP's kernel32 for someone.

How are those SleepConditionVariable* functions that were problematic with KernelXE coming about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, win32 said:

I just glossed over the Fls* series of functions. And it's not the most faithful implementation of some of those, when compared to the real Vista ones. I'm about to put those in XP's kernel32 for someone.

How are those SleepConditionVariable* functions that were problematic with KernelXE coming about?

Windows Server 2003 also has the Fls functions, and those ones are probably easier to port to XP.

I haven't done anything with the SleepConditionVariable functions yet, but I plan to use code from XomPie for those functions.

I was originally going to use the Windows Server 2003 Fls functions in KernelXE R2 but ended up using One Core API's implementation since it's the closest implementation to the Windows Server 2003 function that doesn't use __SEH_prolog and __SEH_epilog.

Edited by Ximonite
Was talking about Vista functions instead of Server 2003 functions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ximonite said:

Windows Server 2003 also has the Fls functions, and those ones are probably easier to port to XP.

Point taken. I just checked and I see they are more similar to yours than the Vista versions. Thanks for that info anyway, it will save me from having to port the SRWLock stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ximonite said:

I forgot most of the update numbers too since I made a WildBill update collection that includes everything.

I install SP5, Update Rollup 2, and the WildBill Update Collection on my test computer.

Have you been able to replicate the issues I have on my test PC and do you have any idea what could be causing these issues?

Please update "shlwapi.dll"  with SHCreateThreadRef copying it from WildBill's shlwapi :), its missing in blackwingcat shlwapi :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...