updates for server 2008 r2

Winillya2k

Hello. I haven’t heard of a repository for Server 2008 R2 updates, but there shouldn’t be any real need for one: It should be possible to get Windows Update to work on that platform. What specific error code is it giving you?

Did your installation media include Service Pack 1? SP1 seems to be all that’s needed to get Windows Update working on Windows 7 these days despite Microsoft’s 2019 SHA-2 Code Signing Support requirement for Windows and WSUS, and I would be surprised if the situation is different for 2008 R2, which is also Windows 6.1.

@Winillya2k any progress with updates? If I was wrong to expect R2 to work like Windows 7, or if you already have R2 SP1 updated to July 2019 (the last of the dual-signed updates), then you may need to manually install updates that add support for SHA-2. In addition to the 2019 link provided above, this is discussed in Windows Update SHA-1 based endpoints discontinued for older Windows devices under How to update Windows devices to SHA-2. Of course updating beyond January 2020 should not be possible without a paid ESU license.

3 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

@Winillya2k any progress with updates? If I was wrong to expect R2 to work like Windows 7, or if you already have R2 SP1 updated to July 2019 (the last of the dual-signed updates), then you may need to manually install updates that add support for SHA-2. In addition to the 2019 link provided above, this is discussed in Windows Update SHA-1 based endpoints discontinued for older Windows devices under How to update Windows devices to SHA-2. Of course updating beyond January 2020 should not be possible without a paid ESU license.

I updated Windows Server 2008 R2 with all updates two or three weeks ago.

This was from SP1 base, mind you. This was at work on a production domain controller.

I had to use the same SHA-2 procedure for Windows 7 and then I was able to download ten years of updates.

Beware that the critical Zerologon patch for R2 is an ESU update, so you'll want to get that one as well, or your entire network is toast.

Edited by Dylan Cruz

22 hours ago, Dylan Cruz said:

This was from SP1 base, mind you. This was at work on a production domain controller.

I had to use the same SHA-2 procedure for Windows 7 and then I was able to download ten years of updates.

Beware that the critical Zerologon patch for R2 is an ESU update, so you'll want to get that one as well, or your entire network is toast.

@Dylan Cruz i tried to installed the sha-2 updates but only says that this does not apply to the system 

Edited by Winillya2k

22 hours ago, Dylan Cruz said:

1 hour ago, Winillya2k said:

@Dylan Cruz i tried to installed the sha-2 updates but only says that this does not apply to the system 

You probably need to manually install SP1 first. I provided a Catalog link for SP1 in my first reply above. After you install SP1, please try Windows Update to see if it works before installing the SHA-2 updates.

On 10/14/2020 at 2:32 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

You probably need to manually install SP1 first. I provided a Catalog link for SP1 in my first reply above. After you install SP1, please try Windows Update to see if it works before installing the SHA-2 updates.

Thanks it worked after 2 hours  i have all updates

3 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Sounds good! :) Was SP1 the only update you manually installed? Were you then automatically given the SHA-2 updates, for example KB4474419?

Well after i installed the SP1 i had to install the SHA-2 update before all the other updates