Cant get WinSetupFromUSB to work on Legacy system

Hi

I have read around all the available tutorials and have tried both E2B and WinsetupfromUSB. The latter appears straightforward so I use WinsetupfromUSB.

Anyway I have a rock solid modified WInXP image. In the old days I used nlite to make the iso onto USB using some softwhere I forget the name of, and this worked OK on all older systems I tested usually, but with advent of UEFI I had to change that..

Systems I currently have are motherboards (2013) and a laptop (2009).

The old nlite way worked with the laptop and was very versatile with other systems too provided motherboard had Compatibity IDE / AHCI choice in BIOS. I never bothered to inject drivers to installviaAHCI, because I felt that AHCI simply wasnt worth it in SSD system (benefits of AHCI are exlclusive to HDD drives). I realised some boards dont allow IDE/AHCI select but I felt it was worth risk. 
Anyway, 2013 mobo uses UEFI so I formatted the USB and made new installer with WinsetupfromUSB which works OK. But this change broke install on laptop; while "first part" of grub4dos setup works,  "second part" does not.

I was lead to believe WinSetupfromUSB team ironed out all the all compatibility problems but obviously not? I mean the tutorials make clear, it enables UEFI install while retaining Legacy support. It seem impossible to mess this up I dont know what I did wrong.

Below is the process on laptop using UEFI Bootable USB (with SATA mode set to compatibiliy IDE). Again the same disk works fine on 2013 UEFI system
Image00001.jpgImage00002.jpgImage00003.jpg
Image00004.jpgImage00001.jpgImage00004.jpg

Then Computer reboots, where I enter grub4dos and then the following screen shows where I choose "Second part of setup"):
Image00005.jpg
Very briefly this shows up Image00008.jpg

but then it returns to this screen and the cycle repeats Image00009.jpg

So does anyone know what I did wrong? I dont really want to have two setup from USB sticks. The whole point of WinSetupfromUSB is it can support both legacy MBR type and UEFI type BIOS... The picture with fuzzy writing is because the message appears VERY fast so I needed to time the camera shot perfectly. But atleas tI got the writing. I think it holds a clue.

Edited by shorterxp

The out of focus image seems to mean that only one disk was found (the USB one) and thus it is first disk and its MBR is chainloaded.

No idea why this may happen, when you are on the grub4dos menu, press "c" to get to command line, then issues commands:

geometry (hd0) [ENTER]

and

geometry (hd1) [ENTER]

and

map --status [ENTER]

and post results.

BTW the way the USB stick is shown in the Windows Setup is "strange".

As a side note, try changing in BIOS settings the boot order, settng USB as first disk (as opposed to choosing to boot from USB after having pressed F12 (or *whatever*) which seems like what you tried doing.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz
corrected round brackets around (hd1)

Image00001.jpg

Thanks

I tried both geometry (hd1) and geometry [hd1] just in case there was a typo in your message

I also made USB primary disk in BIOS as advised (and removed CD drive from laptop)

Image00001.jpg
Unknown Disk on this page is unique to laptop, it is unusual..

FYI I made another bootable USB same image but this time NTFS (before was FBinst fat32). This did not change outcome.

Edited by shorterxp

Yep, sorry :blushing:, it is normal, round brackets, correcting the typo,

As expected (even if it was really blurry) only one disk is seen in grub4dos (actually in BIOS), and from the size and partitioning it should be the USB stick, 7833720*512 should be a 4GB stick.

Anyway the partition is NTFS and ID 0x07, how (the heck) can the XP setup see it as FAT32? (not that it should matter)

Try after a cold boot, what this test confirmed is that the internal disk has not been detected at all.

jaclaz

When the picture of XP setup was taken, the bootable usb drive was flashed as FAT32. I subsequently made another copy with WinSetupFromUSB but NTFS
Cold boot with nothing in USB port "OS not found"

The socket is SATA2.

I tried geometry (hd0,0)1 aswell

Image00001.jpg

Edited by shorterxp

I found the problem. The disk drive was disabled with a TINY exclamation mark as the only indicator that it was such, in the BIOS.

To enable it user has to press Shift + i to enable /disable it. This was in the Boot order menu in BIOS.

Second stage seems to work now but I probably will return to forum to ask about getting DPMS to work because Ive tried in the distant past and again more recently without any luck. The Readme supplied inside WinSetupFromUSB\Files\DPMS, suggests user merely has to add devcon.exe (file sourced from Mircrosoft server) into DPMS.ISO , also located in WinSetupFromUSB\Files\DPMS, which I did with "MagicISO" software, which lets user easily add.remove files within ISO. I never had any luck getting DPMS to auto-detect chipset drivers on multiple systems.

Thanks for helping out

Edited by shorterxp

14 hours ago, shorterxp said:

I found the problem. The disk drive was disabled with a TINY exclamation mark as the only indicator that it was such, in the BIOS.

To enable it user has to press Shift + i to enable /disable it. This was in the Boot order menu in BIOS.

Good.

Second stage seems to work now but I probably will return to forum to ask about getting DPMS to work because Ive tried in the distant past and again more recently without any luck. The Readme supplied inside WinSetupFromUSB\Files\DPMS, suggests user merely has to add devcon.exe (file sourced from Mircrosoft server) into DPMS.ISO , also located in WinSetupFromUSB\Files\DPMS, which I did with "MagicISO" software, which lets user easily add.remove files within ISO. I never had any luck getting DPMS to auto-detect chipset drivers on multiple systems.

For a short period of time, devcon was released as open source, and a member here compiled it (just in case):

https://msfn.org/board/topic/173201-gavottes-ramdisk-automation-package/

https://msfn.org/board/topic/173201-gavottes-ramdisk-automation-package/?do=findComment&comment=1091396

As a general rule, using "MagicISO" or similar auto-magic software is not a good idea (when talking of bootable/OS installs .iso's), the point is that a .iso is NOT (by definition) editable, so what all these programs do is to re-create (transparently from the user point of view)  a NEW .iso and some settings related to the original .iso may (or may not) be changed, if you prefer this kind of programs tend to work perfectly (and conveniently) until they don't.

Thanks for helping out

You are welcome :),

jaclaz

So I am using the wrong "devcon.exe" you think?

How do you recommend I re-compile the DPMS.iso? (Its included in WinSetupFromUSB, located in the "files").

Edited by shorterxp

31 minutes ago, shorterxp said:

So I am using the wrong "devcon.exe" you think?

No, never thought that, all I say is that there are a few versions of devcon.exe from MS, not particularly easy to find, all AFAICR with builds earlier than when the source code was released, AND that the link in the readme :

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/1/f/11f7dd10-272d-4cd2-896f-9ce67f3e0240/devcon.exe

is 404, of course if you already have that particular version and/or you retrieve it via Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/1/f/11f7dd10-272d-4cd2-896f-9ce67f3e0240/devcon.exe

it will work nicely :).

33 minutes ago, shorterxp said:

How do you recommend I re-compile the DPMS.iso? (Its included in WinSetupFromUSB, located in the "files").

As well, I never said that there will be issues in using MagicIso to modify the DPMS.iso (which is not bootable), only that when people talk of editing .iso's there may be issues with this (or that) program.

jaclaz