Server 2008 updates on a Vista machine not fully updated till Apr. 2017?

Win10-Hater

Hello all, I have been installing and reinstalling Vista on my old Pentium D desktop because it always had some or the other issue. I had Vista Enterprise installed first but yesterday I changed it to Ultimate through another clean install. I heard that MS has discontinued the WU services due to SHA-1 security risks, so I might have missed out on some 200 pre-Vista EOL updates including optional ones. So my questions are:

1. Is there any method to install .cab updates from @greenhillmaniac's pre-EOL update repository other than slipstreaming?

2. Is it pointless to install Server 2008 updates from @greenhillmaniac's other repository without installing pre-EOL updates?

Looking forward to some positive response

6 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

1. Is there any method to install .cab updates from @greenhillmaniac's pre-EOL update repository other than slipstreaming?

Yes, I mention it in the thread.

6 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

2. Is it pointless to install Server 2008 updates from @greenhillmaniac's other repository without installing pre-EOL updates?

Not entirely, but it is recommended that you install previous updates first. Some of the newer ones might not install without pre-requisites.

50 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

Wouldn't it be easier to install the updates needed for SHA-2, then update Vista?

SHA2 updates disable Windows Update, since they bump the build number to 6003

4 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

Do you install the pre-EOL updates through pkgmgr in CMD? I am asking this as my knowledge of this is almost nil.

Yes, you open command prompt with admin rights, then run the commands. I recommend you put the updates in a path with no spaces, like "C:\Updates", just so it's easier to run the commands.

• 2 months later...
On 8/16/2020 at 2:39 PM, greenhillmaniac said:

SHA2 updates disable Windows Update, since they bump the build number to 6003

Yes, you open command prompt with admin rights, then run the commands. I recommend you put the updates in a path with no spaces, like "C:\Updates", just so it's easier to run the commands.

I observed that installation of updates through pkgmgr on cmd causes the computer to stop restarting properly (the Microsoft corporation loading bar does not stop displaying and it prevents me from logging on). I think this can be fixed by installing Windows Update Agent 7.6, then restarting, and then installing all the updates.