Minecraft on a Windows 98vm

SharkVader66

Hi Win98 users,

So I have been trying to get minecraft working on win98, I installed win 98 into virtualbox with scitech display driver, auto patcher, win98 plus, acpi support and network. I used the old minecraft launcher that required java so I installed java 6 update 22 using kernelex 4.5.2 and it installed with no problem. The launcher opened with no problems and I tried to launch an old version of the game but it gave an error saying opengl no such method (something like that). So I enabled gldirect in scitech display doctor and well the game opened but only with the box that said minecraft on top and then it crashed with a different error, gldirect overlay also came up meaning that I am using an opengl application. I tried different opengl options in scitech display doctor (beta version, best performance, most compatible) but all of them ended up with the same error. I have 2d and 3d acceleration enabled in virtualbox and I have set the vm to have 128mb vram (it worked on winxp with these settings).

I just want to know if it possible to actually do this on virtualbox, but I am now quite keen to try it on vmware so please let me know if that is a good option. I will attached the error log to this post as a txt file.

Thanks for any help!

New Text Document.txt

1 hour ago, Tripredacus said:

Do the icons exist in the path specified in the stack?

Ref: https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MCL-10659

also: https://github.com/coffeenotfound/ModloaderFix-b1.7.3/issues/2

Uh what do you mean, I believe the issue was an opengl issue I just want to know if it is possible to run minecraft on a win98 vm

Edited by SharkVader66

None of the virtual machine software do support 3d graphics acceleration for Win9X, alas. You have to use an OpenGL -- GDI software renderer like Mesa3D.

6.5 and unofficial 7.5.1 are guaranteed to work with Win95 and above.

Edited by IntMD

13 minutes ago, IntMD said:

None of the virtual machine software do support 3d graphics acceleration for Win9X, alas. You have to use an OpenGL -- GDI software renderer like Mesa3D.

6.5 and unofficial 7.5.1 are guaranteed to work with Win95 and above.

it looks quite promising can you help me install it please I'm kinda confused 

>it looks quite promising can you help me install it please I'm kinda confused 

Easy as can be, just copy the dll files to the program folder where the exe is located

7 minutes ago, IntMD said:

>it looks quite promising can you help me install it please I'm kinda confused 

Easy as can be, just copy the dll files to the program folder where the exe is located

The program I was trying to use was a java program that being minecraft so I think I need to copy it to system32 and is there only one file opengl32.dll?

Also I have scitech display doctor 7 installed will it work with it being installed and configured?

2 minutes ago, SharkVader66 said:

The program I was trying to use was a java program that being minecraft so I think I need to copy it to system32 and is there only one file opengl32.dll?

Also I have scitech display doctor 7 installed will it work with it being installed and configured?

Then there's two options:

* Copy where the minecraft.jar file is (i doubt it would be utilised but still worth a try)

* copy to the java runtime folder (where java.exe is)

2 minutes ago, IntMD said:

Then there's two options:

* Copy where the minecraft.jar file is (i doubt it would be utilised but still worth a try)

* copy to the java runtime folder (where java.exe is)

ok I will try when I get back home edit: should I still have gldirect enabled in scitech display doctor?

Edited by SharkVader66

32 minutes ago, SharkVader66 said:

ok I will try when I get back home edit: should I still have gldirect enabled in scitech display doctor?

best to disable

I'm not sure why you would bother with running MineCraft in Virtualbox in Windows 98 since if you are running it in a VM then your host likely can run it....

1. Virtualbox is horrible for 9x.

2. No 3D acceleration in a VM for 9x except for qemu or pcem. You may have better luck with qemu than pcem for OGL.

3. 3D software acceleration is slow. Mesa3D for OGL 2.1, Swiftshader for D3D

4. Minecraft 1.13 requires OpenGL 4.4 according to the Internets so make sure you are using an old version of Minecraft.

Edited by DosFreak
blah

1 hour ago, DosFreak said:

I'm not sure why you would bother with running MineCraft in Virtualbox in Windows 98 since if you are running it in a VM then your host likely can run it....

1. Virtualbox is horrible for 9x.

2. No 3D acceleration in a VM for 9x except for qemu or pcem. You may have better luck with qemu than pcem for OGL.

3. 3D software acceleration is slow. Mesa3D for OGL 2.1, Swiftshader for D3D

4. Minecraft 1.13 requires OpenGL 4.4 according to the Internets so make sure you are using an old version of Minecraft.

Ill try pcem it has full 3d acceleration support 

On 4/8/2020 at 12:05 PM, SharkVader66 said:

Uh what do you mean, I believe the issue was an opengl issue I just want to know if it is possible to run minecraft on a win98 vm

I was looking solely at the crash report you posted.

Hi SharkVader66. I don't have Minecraft experience but the quote below is from a YouTube video. The short video isn't overly useful but shows that most graphic options needed to be turned down or disabled. Video notes also indicate KernelEx and Java v1.6.0 was utilized.

Important note: if you want to test minecraft on windows 98, don't even try to do this on virtual machines. Virtualization programs emulate graphics card that is to weak for Minecraft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVkS--W4DBs