Latest Versions of ssleay32.dll and libeay32.dll for WinXP ?

Monroe

I'm getting ready to do a DVD backup with some fixes and updates for my three notebooks for the end of 2016. Last month I replaced both the ssleay32.dll and libeay32.dll in my System32 folder with newer versions ... the versions in the System32 folder were old and after searching around I found a newer version for both. I have been using them for several weeks and have noticed no problems. It's also possible that these two dlls were not in the System32 folder or possibly only one was there. They seem to be in individual folders for several software programs that I have on my computers.

These are the versions I am currently using ... ssleay32.dll v1.0.2.10 and libeay32.dll v1.0.2.10 ... does anyone have anything to say or add about these two dll versions? They were listed to work with WinXP. 

Libeay32.dll for Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP (32 Bit and 64 Bit)

Recommended system requirements:

Windows XP or later
128MB RAM
500MHz CPU
50MB hard drive space

August 29, 2016 - OpenSSL 1.1.0 is quite different from previous releases. Developers need to recompile their software to support 1.1.0. Users should install BOTH the 1.0.2 series (LTS) and the 1.1.0 series for maximum application compatibility. See the official OpenSSL release strategy document for more details.

32-bit and 64-bit Windows

To install OpenSSL in a 32-bit or 64-bit Windows, you need to copy the libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll dynamic library files to your file system.

Download the OpenSSL compressed library files and copy the libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll files to your system path.

32-bit Windows: You must copy the libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll 32-bit files to your Windows system folder (System32 folder).

Download page for files:

http://indy.fulgan.com/SSL/

I am not really sure with all the downloads dated 04 Jan 2016 ... I was last here in Dec 2016 but the last download ...

(openssl-1.0.2j-i386-win32)  2017-01-04 05:04 1.0M is still version 1.0.2.10 for both ... as I got in December. I would like some input on all this, it seems to be a bit confusing to me. I guess using these two version 1.0.2.10 updates for ssleay and libeay would be OK ?

monroe

Edited by monroe

"j" means "10", so "openssl-1.0.2j-i386-win32" is version 1.0.2.10.

1.10 hasn't been released yet on that page. When it is, it will be named something like "openssl-1.1.0-i386-win32" for v1.1.0.0 or "openssl-1.1.0a-i386-win32" for v1.1.0.1.

All 1.0.2 versions should be API compatible with each other, but not with any upcoming 1.1.x versions.

Thanks jumper ... so the letter j is really a numerical 10 ... 10th letter in the alphabet, if I counted my fingers correctly. That's good to know for the future.

Mathwiz ... I was at that web page in December ... the link you provided but I didn't save it to my Favorites ... so I couldn't find it again when I was searching earlier today.

I'm going to leave those ddl versions on my computers for the DVD backup. I like to get everything as close to 100% correct as possible ... but I'm happy with a backup that's very close. You guys said they were OK as Dibya said also.