Aero Glass for Win8.1+ 1.4.6

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8.1+ v1.4.6

* hardcoded symbol patterns for build 10586.589
* dirty region optimization fixes
* when DWM process crashes too often, Aero Glass will stop injecting
* fixed data sharing between more drawings in one pass

This version is designed for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 TH up to build 10586 only!

Use this topic to discuss v1.4.6 only! Discussion about RS build will be deleted to avoid off-topic and increase readability!

I'm running build 10586.589 64 bit and when I try to run the installer, "setup-w8_1-1_4_6.exe", I get the Error: This program does not support the version of Windows your computer is running.

I have tried running several combinations of compatibility modes, running as Administrator, etc. and always get that error.

According to the download page that installer should be for my setup.

23 minutes ago, fricku said:

I'm running build 10586.589 64 bit and when I try to run the installer, "setup-w8_1-1_4_6.exe", I get the Error: This program does not support the version of Windows your computer is running.

I had this same problem, what worked for me was downloading the files (http://glass8.eu/files/win81_x64_1.4.6.7z) and replacing them rather than using the installer.

15 minutes ago, Shining Escuridao said:

I had this same problem, what worked for me was downloading the files (http://glass8.eu/files/win81_x64_1.4.6.7z) and replacing them rather than using the installer.

That works if you already have Aeroglass installed.  This is a new install because I completely lost glass on this pc months ago when Microsoft automatically updated me from 8.1 to 10 without my permission, wiping out my installation and forever preventing me from returning to 8.1, but that's another story.

I downloaded the files as you did and installed them in a new folder and ran the old aeroglass schedule.bat to get it going, which worked to some extent.  At least aerohost is running.  Transparency is all wrong at the moment.

4 hours ago, fricku said:

That works if you already have Aeroglass installed.

I downloaded the files as you did and installed them in a new folder and ran the old aeroglass schedule.bat to get it going, which worked to some extent.  At least aerohost is running.  Transparency is all wrong at the moment.

As far as I know, what the installer does is technically the same thing schedule.bat does, create a task to hook the dwm and aerohost processes albeit rather simplistically in the case of the bat file (installer also allowing the option of protecting the task and adding modernframe.dll). As for transparency, that may have to do with the registry settings for AeroGlass as well as whatever theme atlas you had previously. That being said I am sorry for your loss and downgrade to windows 10, I myself just finished reinstalling the thing after it decided it wouldn't boot anymore.

Edited by Shining Escuridao

1 hour ago, Shining Escuridao said:

As far as I know, what the installer does is technically the same thing schedule.bat does, create a task to hook the dwm and aerohost processes albeit rather simplistically in the case of the bat file (installer also allowing the option of protecting the task and adding modernframe.dll)...

Good to know.  I'm sure BM just compiled the installer without a certain setting and will update it as soon as he sees this thread.  As far as Windows 10, I had forced the Anniversary update to NOT run about 3 weeks ago, but the latest security update last Tuesday apparently defeated the block I installed because just as soon as I installed Aero Glass for Win8.1+ v1.4.6 earlier today a new PopUp appeared to tell me 1607 (Anniversary Update) was going to be installed in the next few days whether I liked it or not.  I've reblocked it again...sigh :(

30 minutes ago, fricku said:

Good to know.  I'm sure BM just compiled the installer without a certain setting and will update it as soon as he sees this thread.  As far as Windows 10, I had forced the Anniversary update to NOT run about 3 weeks ago, but the latest security update last Tuesday apparently defeated the block I installed because just as soon as I installed Aero Glass for Win8.1+ v1.4.6 earlier today a new PopUp appeared to tell me 1607 (Anniversary Update) was going to be installed in the next few days whether I liked it or not.  I've reblocked it again...sigh :(

http://www.msfn.org/2016/09/20/microsoft-released-update-removes-windows-10-upgrade-offer/

17 hours ago, fricku said:

Thanks, Big Muscle.  I checked the Glass8 download page and see that you have updated the installation executable.  I tried it just now and it works.  :)

Version 1.4.6 is already fixed?

10 minutes ago, Prado said:

Version 1.4.6 is already fixed?

Yes, as per the original post in this thread Version 1.4.6 is a working release.  There was a small glitch with the installer program at first, but BM quickly fixed it yesterday.  I have used it on two PCs already and I am very pleased.

Thank you, Big Muscle.  It seems to work on my Win 8.1 test VM.  I'll be moving it to my main workstation soon.

The old Aero Glass GUI configuration tool still seems to work with it, so I guess you didn't change it to use the alternate registry values for color and translucency that you're using for version 1.5.

Edit:  After almost a full day of testing and hard use on a 3 monitor Win 8.1 x64 Pro/MCE system, I'm happy to report that 1.4.6 has been flawless.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Oops, yesterday I posted that 1.4.6 has been flawless, but in the evening I closed a window on my right monitor and a few hundred pixels of the left side of a VMware window on my center monitor disappeared (in their place I saw the background image).  Moving the cursor over the window caused it to reappear.

If it happens again I'll get a photo of the screen before correcting it.  I suspect if I do a screen grab it'll self-correct as well.

I never saw this behavior with 1.4.5 in a long time of use.  Nor does it happen reproducibly on 1.4.6.

Edit:  Managed a screen-grab.  Note the rectangle of "see through" pixels near the top of Internet Explorer.  That was flickering on and off when I moved the mouse over the IE window.

AG146Glitch1.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I don't know if anyone can be of any help, but I can't get 1.4.6 to work.  I'm using the anniversary edition of Windows 10, so it just might not be supported.  I can get 1.4.5 to work reasonably well.  But when I install 1.4.6, nothing happens.  It doesn't seem to acknowledge that it was installed. 

Also, when I'm running 1.4.5 on the anniversary edition, my donation key majorly messes up Windows.  Without the key, it can run the trial version just fine, but once I put my donation key in the directory, the screen keeps flashing & the system keeps logging off, then back in.  I even tried purchasing the donation key again, but the problem still persists