Remodeling Windows XP Kernel32

Dibya

10 hours ago, Dibya said:

@PROBLEMCHYLD

Best way is to trace aoi with any debugger you like(I prefer one included with Visual Studio 2005) and add those api in the other dll by using any hexeditor .

For Example GetthreadId api ordinal hex value is CC FF and it can be added in kernel32.dll in offset 0x0177C.

Which is basically what I would like to try to do now, but with Visual Studio 2010 instead, and using CFF explorer as well. I'm gonna try to add one function at a time, instead of simply linking them all together to the XP kernel, expecting the import method to modify the code, 'cause it doesn't. What I tried at the very first time, was to link the new functions to the XP kernel by importing them from win server 2012, expecting the import method to actually create new codes as well, but it failed. So, basically, the DLL I provided has the new functions calls, but doesn't know "what to do with them". 

I modified a few stuff and I got a new bluscreen.

So... it seems that the only way to add new things is to manually look for things using an hex reader and add lines in the XP kernel using an hex editor.

That said, I would like to make things compatible with the 4GB mod, specifying a \kernel=NTOSKRNL.exe \hal=HAL.dll

I've been pretty busy lately, but I'll keep trying to learn as much as I can.

I'm also chatting privately with Dibya, 'cause, ya know, two minds/brains are better than one and we will work it out, hopefully.

@PROBLEMCHYLD... since you were interested in this as well, you can join us, if you want to.

How about creating a Skype chat all together, guys? 

I can create an FTP and make files available for everyone, so we can share what we know, test stuff, make changes and so on.

Have your say.

schermata209.png

hex-editor.PNG

p.s a good starting point, as Dibya said, is alky for applications http://alkyforapplications.net/ which adds a new function to your Windows XP. Once you install it, you will be able to run programs meant for Vista in your Windows XP by right-clicking an executable file, and selecting "run Vista executable". Another interesting thing is Mono for Windows. Once you install it, it will create a new command line that you can use to run programs. Use "cd" to move across windows folders and then "mono executable.exe" to run your favorite program. That said, it doesn't always work, but that's a starting point, right? Last, but not least, for who missed it, DirectX 10 and 11 can run under Windows XP http://www.xpforums.com/directx-10-and-11-released-windows-xp-t932613.html. As to the C++ Redistributable, I'm gonna patch them all together and make a program to install them "all in once", since Windows XP supports all of them, starting with the 2005 ones, 'till the 2015 ones.

Edited by FranceBB

I have sent Dibya a PM with the update package.

It will take much more work to be a full backport.

For example, the dxgkrnl.sys, updated dxdiag, patched rpcrt4.dll, version.dll, cdd.dll, ntoskrnl/HAL files

It requires advanced knowledge of the kernel structure. Recommend analysing the manifest files in Windows6.0-KB971512-x86 to get a first idea of the files needed. Then try understanding how this update brings DX11 functionality to Vista and try to combine this with DX10 in XP kernel.

Remember: there is no way you can avoid changes in kernel, due to dxgkrnl.sys

Edited by harkaz

On 4/29/2016 at 2:39 PM, harkaz said:

I have sent Dibya a PM with the update package.

It will take much more work to be a full backport.

For example, the dxgkrnl.sys, updated dxdiag, patched rpcrt4.dll, version.dll, cdd.dll, ntoskrnl/HAL files

It requires advanced knowledge of the kernel structure. Recommend analysing the manifest files in Windows6.0-KB971512-x86 to get a first idea of the files needed. Then try understanding how this update brings DX11 functionality to Vista and try to combine this with DX10 in XP kernel.

Remember: there is no way you can avoid changes in kernel, due to dxgkrnl.sys

Harkaz Dxkrnl.Sys only needed for Watchdog not for anything other game.

My ones are compability Library (Not Actual file from MS) created by crosscompilation of WineD3D.

Modified kernel32.dll for making nt6.x game compatible.

Thanks for repacking harkaz. SXs patcch of yours is truelly fabulous .

Harkaz for me you are master of repacking.

Any one interested grab it from RyanVM's :: DirectX10/11 Compability Library for XPx86

It can play almost any simple Dx11 games.

Note:: Credit for Repacking and packaging update pakage goes to harkaz

Edited by Dibya

On 4/23/2016 at 4:13 PM, FranceBB said:

@PROBLEMCHYLD... since you were interested in this as well, you can join us, if you want to.

How about creating a Skype chat all together, guys? 

I can create an FTP and make files available for everyone, so we can share what we know, test stuff, make changes and so on.

Have your say.

That's a problem. I don't do social networking at all. And if I did, would you understand my English well? I don't speak Italian, so exchanging information could be a pain. 

To be fair, I've been living in the U.K for a while and I spent quite some time in the States as well, back in 2013. I work in an English-speaking office, I use to listen LBC (Leading Britain's Conversation) and the Jon Gaunt Show. I do understand English and I should probably get whatever you say, but I'm not a native English speaker, though.

P.s Dibya... Your install is for EN installs only.

6 hours ago, FranceBB said:

To be fair, I've been living in the U.K for a while and I spent quite some time in the States as well, back in 2013. I work in an English-speaking office, I use to listen LBC (Leading Britain's Conversation) and the Jon Gaunt Show. I do understand English and I should probably get whatever you say, but I'm not a native English speaker, though.

P.s Dibya... Your install is for EN installs only.

Yes DX patch is only for English version.

@Dibya... That's because you used localised files from the POS-Ready and other updates, right? By the way, I look forward to compare them with the old "NY" version I sent you last time. I'm pretty sure that, thanks to your release, everything will be faster and more reliable compared to the old ones. ;)