How do I use Remote Assistance/Desktop to work on my parent's computer?

E-66

On Saturday, April 02, 2016 at 8:33 PM, submix8c said:

Interestingly, TeamViewer goes though a "third party" (themselves). JFYI...

There's your lag. You're "bouncing" through several additional IP's, including their Server. Trust me on this as I've checked it out before. That's why I don't like it (much).

Nonetheless, if it works for you "Don't Worry, Be Happy".

On martedì 12 aprile 2016 at 11:52 PM, E-66 said:

I can see how that would be useful.

Good :) , but please (not to scare you in any way, mind you) consider however also how this (having an access to it from elsewhere, without local supervision) might be not the best security practice in the world.

True, but unless someone targets you directly, there's nothing to fear. I mean, I have my important stuff encrypted and secured by a password, but I use to leave my computer up and running with team Viewer since 2009. The point is that team Viewer itself uses encryption and, of course, there isn't a list of every device or account. So... they should figure out what's your account and then break TV security or steal the password from you in some way. It's relatively easy to do such a thing, and Jaclaz is right; it is a problem for your security, indeed, BUT it's very very unlikely that someone would take you and just you as a specific individual target. In other words, unless you are a sort of celebrity, or you post stupid thing in Internet about how much money you have, there's nothing to fear, as no one will ever target you.

Yep. though the "generic" issue is not about being "targeted" (if "they" are after you they WILL get you anyway :w00t::ph34r:) it is about being (of course accidentally/by chance) being caught in some wide net fishing.

I mean, something like a remote access, secured as it might be through whatever means is anyway as safe as the security mindset/behaviour  of the user, which in your specific case is likely to be fine :) but - with all due respect - might  not be so in the case of E-66's mom.

All in all when a remote access is actually needed it is only a minor issue to have her provide the login/password for the specific session, as it is unlikely (I believe) that that PC is on 24/7 and someone needs anyway to be there to switch it on, while having it "open to connections" all the time is a potential risk that provides not any real advantage in the intended use of (hopefully infrequent) remote assistance.

jaclaz

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Crap! I never thought this would have actually happened to one of the safest companies... :'(

Besides being (without any need) arrogant and offensive, by calling their customers "careless" or worse:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/06/teamviewer_sorry/

they (probably) are not the real culprits, still when you have a door (as opposed to a solid wall), no matter how good is the lock on it, it will be easier to open it than to break the wall.

jaclaz

• 1 month later...

Before I forget, for those with a recent Windows system (AND actually convinced that having something running in the background AND accessible from the outside is a good idea), there is a new kid on the block:

https://ulterius.xyz/

https://github.com/Ulterius

Still very, VERY experimental, but maybe worth to keep an eye on.

jaclaz