.bin/.cue and .ISO files

bushidou

Why is the .bin / .cue image format prefered over the .iso format??

I am wondering why, since .iso would at first glance seem to be simpler and just as compatible with all burners as the .bin/.cue format (without knowing any better).

Is there any reason / advantage in using the .bin / .cue format

Personally I use ISO, and dislike BIN. ISO's are smaller, for one. I think bin/cue is preferred over iso because it's more stable or something. I've also heard (but can't back up) that bin/cue is better for cracker groups to transfer releases with because it corrupts less often. Once again, I have no idea if that's even true.

Somebody that knows a lot about bin/cue/iso will surely post and fill you in :)

well afaik (because i backup my games to my hdd & dvd's) the bin/cue format works on cd copyright protections. there is a thing called sub-channel data and iso's cannot register that data (i don't know the reason but it can't)

so if u ever compare the size of an iso to a size of a bin file the bin will be larger since it contains the copy protection stuff.

i use alcohol and it creates mdf/mds format which is somewhat similar to bin/cue but works on securom protection as well. I don't really like mds/mdf because frankly i sometimes rename the image files. and mds files are encrypted unlike cue files. so i either prefer bin/cue or cdi image and cdi image is something that saves all the info to 1 file.

which u can make with Disk Juggler

Thanks for the replys. I think I will reley on the bin/cue format then, since I plan to backup my cd's on a harddrive or dvd. I will take a look at Alcohol also and perhaps use it for securom.

I guess I cannot use my UltraISO to first convert a bin/cue file to an .iso file (as I have done) and then back again to bin/cue as there willl be dataloss, so I make new ones. thanks

:)