How to Move Details Pane to Bottom without Memory Patching [Win10]

MDJ

On 2016-01-13 at 11:58 PM, shmuga9 said:

Wow thanks @MDJ! I look forward to it whenever you get the chance to fix the tutorial. I'm sure it'll help many others too.

Hey, thank you for your patience! It's been a long week of work but now it's finally a weekend so I finally sit at my PC and fixed the problem! Here's an updated tutorial:

How to Move Details Pane to Bottom on Windows 10 without Memory Patching and shell32.dll Modifying

This tutorial was made possible by MrGRiM's modified version of shellstyle.dll of his VS.

Caution! Before following up the steps note that OldNewExplorer must still be present. The tutorial here lets Details Pane on bottom function to be more stable as usually memory patching done by the program mentioned can be easily altered by the system.

• First of all, download modified UI files combined into one resource file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqH_Zsatex9liyfbByJe8g-jl0-x .
  • In File Explorer, open the folder where all of the visual styles are available by default on Windows: %windir%\Resources\Themes.
  • Navigate to the visual style's you want to modify parent folder (the only one by default is “aero”). Then navigate to: Shell >> NormalColor.
  • Open shellstyle.dll with Resource Hacker.
  • Open MUI section and delete resource you'll find there by Ctrl + D
  • Open SHELL32_UIFILE section and delete every resource from it by Ctrl + D (please, be careful and stop when the last resource from this section gets deleted and whole section disappears).
  • In the Menu Bar choose Action >> Add from a Resource file (<...>) and navigate to the .RES file you downloaded at the beginning. Choose it.
  • In the opened dialog mark Check/Uncheck checkbox and click Import button.
  • Save modified shellstyle.dll somewhere easily reached and then replace the unmodified version of it (before doing this, make sure to make a backup of the unmodified version). If you're modifying default Windows VS then you'll be required to take ownership of %windir%\Resources\Themes\aero\Shell\NormalColor\shellstyle.dll. In order to do so read the guide here. Modifying Aero Lite requires taking ownership too.
  • Change visual style to Windows default one (if this is the visual style you're modifying then switch to one of High Contrast themes) and then choose the VS you've just modified. Details Pane shall now be on bottom.

There's also an alternative version which doesn't enable styling of Status Bar by the visual styles (it keeps Status Bar white and keeps it without separators (black vertical lines between elements in the bar)). Please, note, that Status Bar and Details Pane are different parts of Windows Explorer.

Edited by MDJ

Wow thanks @MDJ! I look forward to it whenever you get the chance to fix the tutorial. I'm sure it'll help many others too.

Hey, thank you for your patience! It's been a long week of work but now it's finally a weekend so I finally sit at my PC and fixed the problem! Here's an updated tutorial:

Hi MDJ,THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

I have the same problem with details pane bottom in Windows 10

This has already perplexed me for a long time(maybe 4 or 5 months)

According to your steps, It's working and never being mistakes.

So thank you again, you've solved my big problem. :wub:

The OneDrive link doesn't work. "deleted, expired, or you might not have permission to view it"

It's working and always did here.

It works for you because of permissions.  Sharing needs to be set for everyone.

The OneDrive link doesn't work. "deleted, expired, or you might not have permission to view it"

It's working and always did here.

It works for you because of permissions.  Sharing needs to be set for everyone.

External link was somehow broken, I fixed it so you shall not face the same problem again.

Edited by MDJ

How to Move Details Pane to Bottom on Windows 10 without Memory Patching nor by shell32.dll Modifying

(This was made possible by Mr.Grim's modified version of shellstyle.dll of his VS.)

• First of all, download modified UI files combined into one resource file: http://1drv.ms/1JRyFKq.
  • In File Explorer, open the folder where all of the visual styles are available by default on Windows: %windir%\Resources\Themes.
  • Navigate to the visual style's you want to modify parent folder (the only one by default is “aero”). Then navigate to: Shell >> NormalColor.
  • Open shellstyle.dll with Resource Hacker.
  • Open MUI section and delete resource you'll find there by Ctrl + D
  • Open SHELL32_UIFILE section and delete every resource from it by Ctrl + D (please, be careful and stop when the last resource from this section gets deleted and whole section disappears).
  • In the Menu Bar choose Action >> Add from a Resource file (<...>) and navigate to the .RES file you downloaded at the beginning. Choose it.
  • In the opened dialog mark Check/Uncheck checkbox and click Import button.
  • Save modified shellstyle.dll somewhere easily reached and then replace the unmodified version of it (before doing this, make sure to make a backup of the unmodified version).
  • Change visual style to the default one and then choose the VS you've just modified. Details Pane shall now be on bottom.

:whistle:

I can't follow all your steps. I managed to download the resource file, located the Themes folder and the only folder inside is "aero", so I go further inside and Open shellstyle.dll with Resource Hacker.

I open the MUI section and delete the resource. MUI section disappears.

But then I can't find SHELL32_UIFILE section. There is a UIFILE section but not SHELL32_UIFILE

But I continue and add the downloaded resource as indicated and save the file.

Then I backup the shellstyle.dll but I cant replace it with the modified one when I try to. Windows asks me for permissions (I am an administrator, of course) and I can't replace, delete or rename the original shellstyle.dll.

I guess this is due it is being used but since I don't have any other visual style, I don't know how to unlock the file.

I can't follow all your steps. I managed to download the resource file, located the Themes folder and the only folder inside is "aero", so I go further inside and Open shellstyle.dll with Resource Hacker.

I open the MUI section and delete the resource. MUI section disappears.

But then I can't find SHELL32_UIFILE section. There is a UIFILE section but not SHELL32_UIFILE

But I continue and add the downloaded resource as indicated and save the file.

Then I backup the shellstyle.dll but I cant replace it with the modified one when I try to. Windows asks me for permissions (I am an administrator, of course) and I can't replace, delete or rename the original shellstyle.dll.

I guess this is due it is being used but since I don't have any other visual style, I don't know how to unlock the file.

SHELL32_UIFILE section usually doesn't exist unless the author of the visual style added it so you can ignore this step. Talking about not being able to rename original shellstyle.dll, the problem occurs because of Windows making system files secured (custom visual style files aren't secured). In this case, you've to take ownership of it (you can use this guide). After correctly taking ownership you shall be able to rename unmodified file and keep it as a backup. As you're only using the default VS after completing steps make sure to restart File Explorer. In case changes still aren't applied sign out and resign to your account.

Edited by MDJ

That's easy to fix.

Don't click link,just copy url to your browser.

The link does not work, and I am signed in to OneDrive.  Just fix it.  Don't say how it works for you.

The correct link is: http://1drv.ms/1JRyFKq

The problem is the link in the post is pointing to a URL that is different from the one in the text.

Still the same problem you need to fix it so others can access.  

That's easy to fix.

Don't click link,just copy url to your browser.

The link does not work, and I am signed in to OneDrive.  Just fix it.  Don't say how it works for you.

The correct link is: http://1drv.ms/1JRyFKq

The problem is the link in the post is pointing to a URL that is different from the one in the text.

Still the same problem you need to fix it so others can access.  

Try now http://1drv.ms/1JRyFKq