Installing Windows 2000 on a Thinkpad R60

Firefox installer reject to install when detected OS version NT5.0.

so set to run version XP mode with fcwin2k or other tool.

A little late, but thank you so much! Windows 2000 w/ the Kernel extension is fabulous! :)

Although oddly, the rollup updates allowed the latest version of Firefox, the Kernel32 extension is causing an error so Firefox won't work. Could be because of the fact I used the chrome tool and installed the rollups. But, the latest version of qupzilla works as a trade off.

For me firefox does install, but it just simply won't open due to an error. Your KDW tool tells me to input a password in 7-Zip, but I cannot find one on your site. Without a password, the files won't extract properly.

For me firefox does install, but it just simply won't open due to an error. Your KDW tool tells me to input a password in 7-Zip, but I cannot find one on your site. Without a password, the files won't extract properly.

what error did it show ?

Password has been written on download Page.  :sneaky:

• 3 years later...

To avoid the issue where the audio drivers refuse to install on a ThinkPad T60/R60 (and possibly similar models), slipstream KB888111 along with USP5 and/or other updates when installing Windows 2000.

Then it will PnP detect audio and modem devices on the HDA bus on first boot!

There is also a caveat of running win2k on battery and trying to play some more-graphically intensive games (like Space Cadet Pinball and above): gameplay is incredibly jerky.

I think disabling all power management options in the BIOS could solve that but I haven't tried yet.

On 5/11/2019 at 10:46 PM, win32 said:

To avoid the issue where the audio drivers refuse to install on a ThinkPad T60/R60 (and possibly similar models), slipstream KB888111 along with USP5 and/or other updates when installing Windows 2000.

Then it will PnP detect audio and modem devices on the HDA bus on first boot!

There is also a caveat of running win2k on battery and trying to play some more-graphically intensive games (like Space Cadet Pinball and above): gameplay is incredibly jerky.

I think disabling all power management options in the BIOS could solve that but I haven't tried yet.

Looking back at the whole thing, my problem was because I installed the unofficial Windows 2000 SP5. It apparently broke the ability for the wireless to work. I also had other stupid moments of mine where I didn't realize the wifi switch was turned off, resulting in no wifi despite having 2000 installed. I was an utter noob at system drivers when I first tried Windows XP back in 2014.

Now, I've upgraded an R60 quite a bit: gave it a T7200, 4gb of ram, and a 320gb hard drive. The thing works like a charm now. I did a ton of photo editing using paint.net with a Windows 7 installation. I had a Windows 10 installation at one point, but it broke by itself. Found myself experimenting with different operating systems for a long time. Never got ME working on this laptop model. Now the system currently functions as an XP-testing machine for software I post on my personal-ish blog to organize software a bit. I personally prefer this computer over any modern laptop with its comfortable keyboard :)

Thanks to MSFN, I learned quite a bit: the power of internet archive, FTP search engines, searching original file names, manually installing system drivers, driverpacks, system basics, and more. Even learned a bit of psychology ;)

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~