Please explain why I would want to use Windows 10

Kelsenellenelvian

Example screenshot of what I can do STRAIGHT OUT OF BOX on Windows 7 now please tell me why I would actually want to use Win10 (Or 8 for that matter)

I don't care about how it works with a dozen extra programs and another dozen extra tweaks. Explain why I would want to use it vanilla.

post-6960-0-13738700-1439266362_thumb.pn

In my example i'm playing a DVD, taking notes on wordpad. (Since this is a fresh install for if I need drivers or files.) Using paint and snipping tool for screenshots and have the calculator open to add how much money and time i'm saving with not needing a ton of extra crap just to make the OS usable aaaand of course browsing MSFN. Plus I can alt+tab all the time if needed.

I'm not aware of any reason.  I've asked the question myself - http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173379-windows-10/page-38#entry1103095 - and have addressed Noel's current thinking - http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/174228-the-weighing-of-the-positives-and-negatives/?p=1105071.

Unless there is:

... a "must have" Modern app, (they still remind me of "gadgets" that have come and gone over the years), or an advancement in DX11+ for game use that cannot be back-ported to a previous OS, ... or unless you prefer the newer Windows 10 look, ...

I just don't see any reason to change from Windows 7, nor recommend any later OS to other users.  But I would also love to hear from other users who feel differently.

Cheers and Regards

I assume you mean significantly better in measurable ways like performance, stability, compatibility, functionality, etc.  (And not just better by a percent or two.)  I assume you do not mean things like looks, a few seconds faster boot time, being "current", etc.  And while better game performance might eventually be a factor for some people, I assume you don't care about that unless it is very significantly better in a game you happen to play.  Any other conditions you want to mention or changes you want to make to what I mentioned here?

Not that having the latest OS, or having the absolutely fastest OS no matter how little the improvement, or having a look that you like are not valid reasons for using any particular OS.  But I assume those are not reasons that you are talking about.

Cheers and Regards

In my example i'm playing a DVD, taking notes on wordpad. (Since this is a fresh install for if I need drivers or files.) Using paint and snipping tool for screenshots and have the calculator open to add how much money and time i'm saving with not needing a ton of extra crap just to make the OS usable aaaand of course browsing MSFN. Plus I can alt+tab all the time if needed.

And you could even play Solitaire without paying for it or having crappy ads at each new game.... ;)

jaclaz

I don't care about how it works with a dozen extra programs and another dozen extra tweaks. Explain why I would want to use it vanilla.

Short answer:  You wouldn't.

And it's not just a dozen/dozen.  It's more like 20 extra programs and 100 tweaks.  Actually, I haven't consolidated all my notes yet, but I think it's a fair bit more than 100 now.

Once you have done all that you end up with a system that's current, supported, and maybe - if you squint and try real hard - gives a little bit more value than its predecessors.

Trouble is, the value proposition is going to change.  It's going to become harder and harder to use an older system because slowly, kicking and screaming, the world will be dragged into the future - and sadly there's very little we can do about it.  Much the same as the fact that very few of us could build our own car, most folks couldn't possibly build their own computer operating system.

-Noel

The only way I could think is that you wanted to play a game that absolutely requires DirectX 12 in order to operate... or the Windows App version of Minecraft. :P

For me anyways, I am perfectly fine sticking with Windows 7. I have no requirement to use a newer OS at this time.