Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

16 hours ago, vinifera said:

lol and what is Abandoned if not Ended support ...
no fixes = no official support = end = abandoned

Microsoft could argue that they're still maintaining the XP code for POS systems and (IIRC) for a few customers who are willing to pay big money for specialized support.

The fact that XP users can still get the MRT and Windows Defender updates may also be enough for MSFT to say that they haven't in fact "abandoned" XP. (I don't know, however, if users of pre-SP3 XP can still get these.)

Of course, that's little consolation for someone on XP, but from a legal perspective it probably holds water.

--JorgeA

This afternoon I found someone else complaining about something that's bothered me about Win10:

By BAD design, the back button in Windows Explorer is shrinking from a comfortable one in Win XP to a ridiculously unusable size in Win 10.

[...]

So, is there a trick to make a bigger back (and forward) button?  Or are we doomed to follow the bad design of who-knows-who?

Honestly, the guy(s) who made this decision should be fired.

I find it hard to believe that so few people have viewed this as a practical UX problem. Last time I checked, no one had even replied to the post.

--JorgeA

1 hour ago, JorgeA said:

I find it hard to believe that so few people have viewed this as a practical UX problem. Last time I checked, no one had even replied to the post.

--JorgeA

It's probably because it's just another irritating detail lost in the roar.

-Noel

2 hours ago, NoelC said:

It's probably because it's just another irritating detail lost in the roar.

-Noel

Good point -- merely one more drop in the ocean of defects and annoyances.   :thumbdown

--JorgeA

6 hours ago, JorgeA said:

This afternoon I found someone else complaining about something that's bothered me about Win10:

=== Quote that new board software removed ===

By BAD design, the back button in Windows Explorer is shrinking from a comfortable one in Win XP to a ridiculously unusable size in Win 10.

[...]

So, is there a trick to make a bigger back (and forward) button?  Or are we doomed to follow the bad design of who-knows-who?

Honestly, the guy(s) who made this decision should be fired.

=== end removed quote ===

--JorgeA

I continue to retain my belief that Explorer reached its peak of functionality in its Windows 98 - 2003 variation. Anything after, MS removed functionality (like the "Up" button, who's genius idea was it to remove that. Yes, the Back button is there, but the Back and Up buttons don't necessarily point to the same place, such as if you followed a shortcut.) in order to make it look more "sleek and modern" or added pointless features like "Libraries".

I also find it hilarious that nuMS keeps making the titlebars fatter while at the same time making the buttons on the toolbars smaller, or in some cases, nonexistent.

In Windows Vista and later, I can't put Explorer in this way (very useful especially when I deal with many items within a folder in a small screen)

Immagine.JPG

Edited by Agorima
adding words and deleting picture

Let me be the first to agree that things being more spaced out by Microsoft in the more recent releases is a bad thing.  I've gone to some lengths to see to it that I can put more things in Explorer's Details View. 

Who really needs big fonts and lots of empty space?  Isn't the actual information the important part?

Where does it lead?  All empty space and no information? 

getting-few-things-ready.png

Is laying in a recliner, hooked up with tubes and wires, and only ever twitching a little really the goal?

-Noel

thats why i liked later Longhorn installations
it was still just background, without "detailed info" - which is useless btw
but on the bottom it showed the 3 stages of setup, which is only thing... there is

1. dvd dumps needed files for setup
2. WIM gets unpacked
3. "OS" is getting configured for user (MS OOBE)

everytime i look at vista/7 setup makes me vomit

1. Copying windows files... - okay...
2. Expanding windows files... - WRONG !!!  you're extracting them from archive
3. Installing features... - WTF what f****** features ? this aint Feature Pack nor "Extras" !
4. Installing updates... - WTF ??? - if there are any they are INTEGRATED DOH !!! STEP 2 MORONS !!!
5. Completing installation... - no s***...

21 hours ago, rn10950 said:

I continue to retain my belief that Explorer reached its peak of functionality in its Windows 98 - 2003 variation. Anything after, MS removed functionality (like the "Up" button, who's genius idea was it to remove that. Yes, the Back button is there, but the Back and Up buttons don't necessarily point to the same place, such as if you followed a shortcut.) in order to make it look more "sleek and modern" or added pointless features like "Libraries".

I also find it hilarious that nuMS keeps making the titlebars fatter while at the same time making the buttons on the toolbars smaller, or in some cases, nonexistent.

I never did like the "My Documents" pseudo-directory, which for me only led to confusion and hair-pulling on those occasions when I needed to know where the file REALLY was stored. IIRC, the "My Documents" misdirection already existed in Windows 3.1, and certainly in Windows 98.

Good point about the Up button. :)

--JorgeA

13 hours ago, Agorima said:

In Windows Vista and later, I can't put Explorer in this way (very useful especially when I deal with many items within a folder in a small screen)

Immagine.JPG

Out of curiosity, I tried to duplicate in Vista below what you did up there in XP. How does it compare?

Vista Explorer.jpg

--JorgeA

10 hours ago, NoelC said:

Let me be the first to agree that things being more spaced out by Microsoft in the more recent releases is a bad thing.  I've gone to some lengths to see to it that I can put more things in Explorer's Details View. 

Who really needs big fonts and lots of empty space?  Isn't the actual information the important part?

Where does it lead?  All empty space and no information? 

getting-few-things-ready.png

Is laying in a recliner, hooked up with tubes and wires, and only ever twitching a little really the goal?

-Noel

Touché.

My "favorite" one is the BSOD which now says, idiotically, "Oops! Something went wrong" with a sad emoticon. My reaction always is, "You don't say, genius!" :angry:

Windows used to be a professional/business OS that respected the user and didn't talk down to him (or her). Now it addresses the user condescendingly with this colloquial language. I can picture the Windows developers seeing themselves as patting the head of the cretin they imagine they're addressing with this kind of talk. "There, there, it'll be all right, don't you worry my little one! Mama Microsoft will make sure everything's taken care of."

--JorgeA

regarding the up button, sorry to say but its only good for 4:3 monitors
any other widescreen gets good use of "breadcrumbs" or why don't you just set folders to expand to place you go...
single click on treeview on left is again enough to get "up" 1 level

Out of curiosity, I tried to duplicate in Vista below what you did up there in XP

he has 16x16 view there
you have 32x32
can't compare that