Post your Windows 10 Upgrade experience

Tripredacus

Yikes, no!

Most probably a Software RAID (please read as Dynamic Disks) is possible, but more than a few tricks would be needed and it would make very little sense anyway.

jaclaz

Do you know any model with low price, and whats your own ?

It wasn't mine. It was an older system, a few years old I believe. I don't even remember who the manufacturer is... but you are right. RAID on notebooks are typically found in the ones marketted towards engineers and games. So "high-end" types.

Back on topic.

I was able to go back to Windows 7. This is NOT something you want to do, at least not at this stage. Here were the problems.

- No USB ports worked! Fortunately the board I was using had PS/2 ports on them, but PS/2 is not PnP. I plugged in the mouse and had to use the power button to turn off the PC. And then turn it back on. I did it this way, instead of using the reset button, because I didn't want to break the mirror. When booted back up, PS/2 mouse worked and I was going to connect to a network share to update the USB drivers. So I had to plug in a PS/2 keyboard. This cause the mouse to stop working! So I had to do a shutdown and boot back up again. Bottom line: USB keyboard and mouse did not work unless I booted the PC up with PS/2 keyboard attached. I'm NOT digging into this one, just it was the first thing I noticed.

- Office Starter's Click-To-Run drive (Q: ) was missing. Word still opened and I don't remember what that virtual drive was needed for.

- A large amount of the scheduled tasks were corrupted or missing. As soon as I opened Task Scheduler, I had to click OK about 30 times on the various notifications that x task was corrupt. All of them were OS tasks! All the Office 2010 Tasks were missing! One user on Technet has reported getting corrupted tasks when going from Windows 10 to Windows 8.1.

So yes you can do this uninstall of Windows 10 but your OS might have some problems. SFC did not find any problems.

The other good news is that you can update to Windows 10 again. In fact, when it finishes the process, it says "Welcome back." :sneaky:

It's likely that Cortana :unsure: doesn't understand :w00t: "språkinställningar", most probably the little circles and dots over the a's ;).

:lol:

jaclaz

Yeah, but hopefully Cortana is't invollwed in this.... Once it allso restarted and went all way to 99% before it say "..We couldn't complete the features Undoning changes Don't turn off your computer..."

Edited by mikedigitize

Yeah, but hopefully Cortana is't invollwed in this.... 

Hopefully :yes:

Of course it is just fun ;) but I like to imagine the stupid Windows 10 much like an automated Mechanical Turk :w00t:, with a little girl, Cortana, inside it actually reading everything, interpreting commands etc. and then doing whatever things she fancies, not necessarily what the user asked for ....

the_turk.jpg

jaclaz

More downgrade stuffs...

I was fearing that installing Windows 10 would do something with the BCD. Of course it does... for Windows 10's use. As such, you can't use the recovery partition if Windows 10 is installed. There is no F8 menu and (actually) Windows 10 is designed so that you can run Refresh or Reimage without having a separate recovery image somewhere.

When you uninstall Windows 10 and go back to whatever OS, your original BCD will be intact. With exception is that you will have leftover "SafeOs" entries that Windows Update used to install Windows 10. Anyways, you will be able to use your original recovery partition! In my case, I unintalled Windows 10, then after Windows 7 was back I restarted. Then I used F8, repair computer and then re-install Windows 7.

Trying to install langpack. Last evening I did tree times to get the pack iinstalled and today 2 times. Last try it just stop See pic:

sYgpxrf.png

What are you using for Aero Glass? Glass8?

Experimental debug version for build 10240

I want to mention that I had done a clean install, and upgraded to Windows 10 again yesterday and am greeted with the "Welcome Back" message again.

This install had XAMPP installed on it, to test for possible issues with Apache running on a system. I couldn't find any. This was also the PC I fiddled with the date. After changing the date in the future, then back to the present, all the menus flicker, don't open or close by themselves.