Outlook woes on Windows 98 (all versions)

Tommy

Hey Jumper, thanks for replying. I should've probably specified moreso, it happens if I open it up and it downloads new email....then that's when it happens, particularly if I haven't opened it in a days time. It doesn't do this if it's been open for a while, but as soon as I open it and it starts updating headers and downloading email, that's when it happens.

• 3 months later...

It seems that there's another little issue going on, whether it's actually related to Outlook or not, but I've noticed that at times Outlook 2002 will hang when it's trying to retrieve mail and in conjunction with RP9, if I do a CTRL+ALT+DEL, it'll say that there's only 1% or sometimes 0% resources left and even the desktop will be black saying the machine is dangerously low on resources. If I kill Outlook....it returns to normal. Then if I open it up again, all seems fine.

So, I discovered by accident...that installed RLoew's RAM patch causes this problem to happen. Since the machine I was using only had 512MBs of RAM, I went without using it but I remember once he said that even if you don't have over 1gig of RAM that it was still beneficial to use the patch. So I installed it and opened up Outlook, and bam, very low system resources. This hasn't happened at all until I installed the patch. The patch is 7.1 and I don't know if it is the latest or not but I used it in conjunction with USP3, the latest version. So I don't know if the RAM patch itself is flawed here or if it's just not playing nicely with something in USP3. All I know is installing the RAM patch caused this problem to happen.

Edited by Tommy

It seems that there's another little issue going on, whether it's actually related to Outlook or not, but I've noticed that at times Outlook 2002 will hang when it's trying to retrieve mail and in conjunction with RP9, if I do a CTRL+ALT+DEL, it'll say that there's only 1% or sometimes 0% resources left and even the desktop will be black saying the machine is dangerously low on resources. If I kill Outlook....it returns to normal. Then if I open it up again, all seems fine.

So, I discovered by accident...that installed RLoew's RAM patch causes this problem to happen. Since the machine I was using only had 512MBs of RAM, I went without using it but I remember once he said that even if you don't have over 1gig of RAM that it was still beneficial to use the patch. So I installed it and opened up Outlook, and bam, very low system resources. This hasn't happened at all until I installed the patch. The patch is 7.1 and I don't know if it is the latest or not but I used it in conjunction with USP3, the latest version. So I don't know if the RAM patch itself is flawed here or if it's just not playing nicely with something in USP3. All I know is installing the RAM patch caused this problem to happen.

What options did you set?

Did you install it before or after U98SESP3?

I used patchmem /m and it was installed after USP3. As stated, this machine never had more than 512MBs of RAM so I just installed it yesterday to see if I could get any better performance out of it and that's when I discovered this.

Run PATCHMEM again to uninstall the Patch and reboot.

See if the problem goes away.

If it does, reinstall the Patch without /M and reboot.

See if the problem returns.

I did uninstall the patch and the problem went away, that's how I confirmed this problem. I will test this method soon tonight and post back very soon!

Okay, so a simple patchmem installation doesn't seem to kill virtual memory quite as badly as the /M function, but it does still take it down enough to where it can cause issues (around 7-13% VM left). Once Outlook 2002 is closed, it returns to normal.

Alright, so here's what is happening. I installed the RAM patch using that particular function and it seems to work better. I have the RP9 package installed so when I do CTRL+ALT+DEL, I can see the stats on the task manager. So I did that quite often and it went down to 0% for virtual memory for a few brief seconds while the machine connected and updated cached files. I connect to Gmail via IMAP if that also helps as in what I'm doing here. But once Outlook finishes downloading, it seems to go back to normal without even having to close Outlook. Now whether this will happen with more emails or larger emails with attachments, I don't know. But since I love to know more, can you explain what this switch does differently than either no switch at all or the /M switch?

Edited by Tommy

The /C:### Option changes the default File Cache Maximum.

You can also try PATCHMEM /C:128 to reduce the File Cache further.

You can also set "MaxFileCache" in your SYSTEM.INI to do this.