Back-to-School Flash Drive Sale

Monroe

I posted last year about Walmart (USA) having 8 GB SanDisk flash drives on sale for $4.97 in July for "back-to-school" ... they did this for two years that I know of ... this week the "back-to-school" bins were put out at my local Walmart and they have a better deal this year.

The price is still the same ... $4.97 and SanDisk is still the brand but they are now 16 GB flash drives. The last two years they were 8 GB drives.

The bins should be in a middle aisle and different bins with paper pads, pens, glue and all that stuff with one bin that should be flash drives.

I would think all Walmarts in the US should be the same ... but I could be wrong.

This is the drive ... there isn't any flashing light to show downloading but none of the newer cheaper flash drives seem to have them anymore, they also don't have a protective cover but I keep them in a small plastic pill bottle with a screw top cover that is water and dust proof.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Frustration-Free-Packaging--SDCZ50-016G-AFFP/dp/B007KFAFZ8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1436538515&sr=8-5&keywords=16+gb+flash+drive

SanDisk Cruzer Blade CZ50 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive

Strange ... when I first posted this, the Amazon price was $5.99 .. now today I see the price is $7.95 ... but prices seem to change constantly at Amazon ... still $4.97 at Walmart, probably through Aug or till they are gone.

So if you like a 16 GB flash drive size ... not a bad price.

Edited by monroe

Yes, I wish I could use USB 3.0 but with my old Thinkpads ... I'm stuck with 2.0 flash drives.

A few months ago I was looking to see if I could upgrade to USB 3.0 with an adapter, like I did with an older USB 1.1 computer ... I didn't find anything, so I guess I'm stuck with USB 2.0 ... unless someday I win a new computer at a carnival or something.

monroe

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if this is a store-specific thing? I looked yesterday and they did have the Sandisk 16GB sticks, but the price was $6.97 at my local store. Anybody know if it would be worth trying multiple stores? Or how long the sale is supposed to be on for? I too have the no-USB3-systems problem...

Amazon has changed their price yet again, now they are $5.98...

IMO, unless you are going to buy a whole lot of the sticks, you will waste more money on gas checking out various stores than you will spend if you just go ahead and buy the few sticks you need.  Of course you could call around to the various stores and ask them directly what their prices are.

Cheers and Regards

w2k4eva ... here's what I know or was told about the "Back to School" supplies. First of all, just checked the Amazon link in my first post 5 minutes ago and the flash drive price is $6.99 ... goes up and down.

I asked an employee if other Walmart stores should also have these flash drives for sale ... she couldn't be 100% sure but thought they should.

I told her about the last two years prior with the 8 GB drives and what is interesting ... the flash drives are in a top yellow cardboard bin, maybe some blue lettering ... all the school supplies are in the same exact type bin ... glue sticks, pens, notebooks and etc. The supplies are in the middle walk-in aisle and are on both sides ... three top to bottom rows, if I remember correctly ... lots of bins with school supplies, maybe 30 or 40 total bins. You can't miss them, if your Walmart has a "Back to School" setup.

I even think the cardboard bins look exactly the same from year to year.

I said to the employee ... you must have a "floor plan" ... these flash drives have been in the same exact place for the last three summers ... top row on the left side entering the store.

She said the store employees do not set up the display ... another retailer or contractor sets everything up and fills the bins with everything ... so they have the same floor plan from year to year.

Those flash drives are always in the same spot ... all that stuff should be on sale until sometime in late August and then like magic ... everything is gone one day.

Ask in your Walmart ... they must have a "Back to School" special going on ... but maybe the bins will be setup different ... I don't know about East coast and West coast.

The employee also told me that the price could be slightly different in some Walmarts where there might be more store competition ... it's possible the flash drives could be a little cheaper at some Walmart stores.

That's all I know ... look around ... I hope you can find them ... maybe call a few Walmarts ahead if you are going in that direction. Like I said earlier ... these bins are cardboard and go away in late August ... nothing permanent in the store.

+++ Let me add this ... look for the Sandisk 16 GB drive back in the Cameras/Electronics location ... they will not have a $4.97 price ... but they might scan at $4.97. At the Walmart I use ... this is what I discovered last year. The price was $9.97, I think ... but with the same bar code as the ones in the school bins ... they were pricing at $4.97 until the school bins go away in August and then it's back to $9.97. Get an employee to scan or find a scanner to check the price.

monroe

Edited by monroe

• 2 months later...

ah glorious days of floppies

i still remember when winblows 98 offered drive compression

so instead 1.4 MB you get "2 MB" which was actually a bull crap

then if you found an app or an mp3 sometime you could split the file on multiple floppies

hahahaa

ahhh i miss good old days