Building a Pentium 4 Windows 2000 rig for kicks... Need some advice

CPU is getting changed from a 3.8 GHz P4 Hyperthreaded 672 115W TDP --> 3.6 GHz Pentium D 960 SL9K7 95W TDP.  My reasoning for this change was that a stock intel 775 cooler was unable to handle the thermal load. I/O plate is deadly hot to the touch, so the computer is off for now until I make the changes.  There are two Pentium D 960 types... The earlier was 130W (Ouch!) and the later revision before stepping into the Core 2 Duo was 95W.

It's interesting to note that although Windows 2000 doesn't natively support hyperthreading, (Windows XP was first consumer OS to support HT tech.) it still picks up the extra thread and shows it as a second CPU in the performance monitor.  I haven't noticed any system instability because of this aside from my thermal throttling from using a dinky 775 cooler. There are different stock 775 coolers from Intel, and the one that came with my board must have been paired with a lower power P4. That 115W TDP is nothing to sneeze at.  I expect the second core of the Pentium D to be recognized as a second CPU in Windows 2000 professional.

http://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Freezer-Pro-Rev-Multicompatible/dp/B002G392ZI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1436929438&sr=1-1&keywords=ARCTIC+Freezer+7+Pro+Rev+2This cooler will be able to handle my expectations, with a 150W TDP limit, price is good, and does not require removal of my board to install some sort of backplate.

...On the software side, most programs are working, including Adobe Flash. I had to get DirectX 9 installed before getting flash to work.

I still cannot get Java to work.  I have updated to the latest rollup release from November 2014. What version of java are you using?

Edited by JesseJH

I feel your pain in the heating issues.  All Pentium 4's seem to run very hot.  You must keep the processor under 60 C and I have found that you need a lot of cooling to keep them happy at 50 C.  I personally use an AMD Barton processor in my 2k machine and even that runs at 45 C.  Get the best cooler you can find.  Heat dissipation was not a p4 strong suit.  You will find Win2k will run like a banshee, and your machine will do just that.  I hope this helps.  Good luck.

I don't have a Windows 2000 computer to hand right now. So all I can suggest at the moment is installing the last release of Java 7. Java 8 is crippled some way on Windows XP anyways, and that's what Unofficial Windows 2000 is basically portraying itself as.

Java 8 is crippled some way on Windows XP anyways, ...

This was true at first, but AFAIK, current versions of Java 8 should install and run correctly on XP now.

Cheers and Regards

Any leads to possibly installing java? :))

I released Java 6 u101 for Windows 2000 last week.

If you want to run application which compatible to recent Java,

Plz download jre-8u51-windows-i586.tar.gz and extract it folder and indicate java file.

Edited by blackwingcat