Operation Life of a HDD

Hey folks, I thoughts I'd post something different and would love to hear from others.

So, in a nutshell, it is almost impossible to know how long a computer has been powered on.

There is no timer anywhere in Windows I am aware of, or the bios..etc

However, it does seem that the hard drives do have (well some) a record. 

Running HDtune, will show a figure .. like this.

post-380749-0-91430500-1433982421_thumb.

Conveniently, this drive was fitted to my HTPC shortly after it was commissioned.

It stands as my only record of the amount of time the system has been running. Not 24/7... it gets shutdown fully every night., but is on again first thing every day. So About 18/7.

It works out to be about almost 7years , which is roughly the age of the system.

I guess I am amazed that the drive has lasted this long, considering its in a demanding environment for vibration from the enormous speakers that flank the system.

Thoughts?

Actually received a support question regarding power on time for an SSD a couple weeks ago. CrystalDiskInfo can also show you this information.

My wonder is at what point was this information being kept on a disk? I have some pretty old disks running in my PCs, but they might be too old to get that information.

Actually received a support question regarding power on time for an SSD a couple weeks ago. CrystalDiskInfo can also show you this information.

My wonder is at what point was this information being kept on a disk? I have some pretty old disks running in my PCs, but they might be too old to get that information.

It is a "normal" S.M.A.R.T. field (though each manufacturer may use a different notation for the uptime), more specifically it is 0x9 "Power-On Hours (POH)" if you want to draw a line somewhere, it should be about anything manufactured since 2000-2002 (but many disks had S.M.A.R.T. capabilities earlier), at the end of the day, anything with a SATA interface has surely S.M.A.R.T. capabilities as well as anything PATA using advanced Ultra DMA modes (i.e. anything using an 80 wires IDE cable) whilst anything earlier might have it not.

jaclaz