Think twice about choosing use Express Settings

Tripredacus

I downloaded the Windows 10 IP x64 build 10074 and decided to choose Customize Settings rather than the Express Settings I normally pick. I'm kinda glad because all of these are enabled by default.

The ones switched off are my own choices and I don't feel they should ever be enabled. The ones I left on don't seem to be a big deal to me.

20150430_105530_zpsjt7apwsf.jpg

20150430_105642_zpsitesiwsm.jpg

Think twice about choosing use Express Settings

That's good advice going all the way back, but not nearly strong enough for Win 10...

NEVER, EVER choose Express Settings!

Choosing Express Settings is tantamount to saying "Microsoft has my best interests at heart". 

Think about that for just a moment given all we know about what they've been doing lately.

This may devolve further into "Don't choose Windows 10 at all" - we shall see.

-Noel

TakeCustomChoices.png

Edited by NoelC

I hope they change the use of the words "Windows browsers" to "Internet Explorer" or "Microsoft browsers" or whatever... I think the big one of those options is the one saying your browsing history will be sent to MS. As that could be a privacy violation, a user who is setting up Windows for the first time would not know what they would be getting into by choosing Express Settings. I don't think that it is mentioned on that screen, but I will reinstall tomorrow to take another look.

The "automatically connect to networks shared by my contacts" is a weird one. I wonder what that actually means. Since it follows the one about "open networks," (which I'm presuming it means wireless ones) I can't see how Windows would know what wireless networks your "contacts" are connected to.

So far Windows 10 looks to be one of these:

:ph34r:  or :sneaky:  or :angel  or :whistle:

By the way, I see you left SmartScreen enabled.  You sure you want to do that?

From this page:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/smartscreen-filter-faq

What information does SmartScreen Filter send to Microsoft?

SmartScreen Filter uses an SSL (Secure Socket Layer) web connection to send website addresses to Microsoft. For more information about what data is sent and how it is used, go to the Internet Explorer Privacy Statement online.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Its a good point. I don't actually plan on using this installation for any sort of normal operation. Even if I were to use Windows 10 at some point in the future, I wouldn't be using IE/Spartan for anything besides MS websites anyways.

Its a good point. I don't actually plan on using this installation for any sort of normal operation. Even if I were to use Windows 10 at some point in the future, I wouldn't be using IE/Spartan for anything besides MS websites anyways.

The whole point here is not about what you use or what you use for what knowingly (being it "normal" or "abnormal"), it is about what data the good MS guys think fair getting from you unknowingly. :whistle:

jaclaz

The "automatically connect to networks shared by my contacts" is a weird one. I wonder what that actually means. Since it follows the one about "open networks," (which I'm presuming it means wireless ones) I can't see how Windows would know what wireless networks your "contacts" are connected to.

Another one that had me scratching my head was the setting to, "Let apps use my advertising ID for experiences across apps." What's my "advertising ID"? :unsure:

--JorgeA

Right!  Without being able to know what it means, I regarded "my advertising ID" as the tip of an iceberg I most certainly don't want to run into.

Thus it only makes sense to disallow it.

-Noel

Another one that had me scratching my head was the setting to, "Let apps use my advertising ID for experiences across apps." What's my "advertising ID"? :unsure:

Wait until they couple your "advertising ID" with (say) your SSN .... :whistle:

jaclaz

• 2 months later...

Looks like that "automatically connect to networks shared by my contacts" thing has been figured out and it doesn't sound good.

http://reviews.gizmodo.com/why-the-hell-is-windows-10-sharing-my-wi-fi-passwords-1719900675

Well, to be fair, it had ALREADY been figured out, and found not sounding good:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172826-windows-10-first-impressions/?p=1102138

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/30/windows_10_wi_fi_sense/

jaclaz