Windows 10 built-in advertising discussion

dhjohns

I have no doubt that for every Windows installation, there is at least ONE Microsoft employee trying to glean information from it.  There are probably several MS employees tapped into my computer right now, watching my every move!   :crazy:

I have no doubt that for every Windows installation, there is at least ONE Microsoft employee trying to glean information from it.  There are probably several MS employees tapped into my computer right now, watching my every move!   :crazy:

So you think identity theft is a non-issue, or that it could never happen to you? 

I wonder what difference in your thinking you'll have after it happens.

-Noel

So you think identity theft is a non-issue, or that it could never happen to you? 

-Noel

I wonder what he'll say about win 10 being ad driven and all of a sudden being shown ads related to his web searches and game choices?

-Noel

I wonder what he'll say about win 10 being ad driven and all of a sudden being shown ads related to his web searches and game choices?

LOL

We already know win 10 will be ad driven that's been assured it's not conspiracy whats so funny about that? You don't think they'll use demographics to target you?

I need you to provide proof from Microsoft that what you say is true.  I need it stated absolutely in a Microsoft website.  Come on, do you take me for a fool?

No, not a fool but you are being kinda rude. 

Look here at this article.

Microsoft is installing an update on Windows 7 and 8 machines which will push users to upgrade toWindows 10.

The update – KB 3035583 – is vague about its purpose. The official description states:

This update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications when new updates are available to the user. It applies to a computer that is running Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1).

But what are those "additional capabilities"? Installing the update – which is marked as "Recommended" – on a machine running Windows 8.1 leads to the creation of four new folders in the Windows\WinSxS folder, prefixed "amd64_microsoft_windows_gwx". The description of one of the files installed – GWXUXWorker.exe – is "Get Windows 10".

getwindows10.png

Windows update to Get Windows 10

Another file of interest is config.xml. This has sections for various phases, starting at <Phase name="None"> and continuing through AnticipationUX, Reservation, Reserved, RTM, GA, various Upgrade phases, and, finally, UpgradeSetupFailed.

There is also a reference to an OnlineAdUrl, presumably a page hyping the benefits of Windows 10, though this is currently a dead link. The update appears to be intended to advertise Windows 10 and push the user towards consenting to download and install it.

No, not a fool but you are being kinda rude. 

Look here at this article.

Microsoft is installing an update on Windows 7 and 8 machines which will push users to upgrade toWindows 10.

The update – KB 3035583 – is vague about its purpose. The official description states:

This update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications when new updates are available to the user. It applies to a computer that is running Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1).

But what are those "additional capabilities"? Installing the update – which is marked as "Recommended" – on a machine running Windows 8.1 leads to the creation of four new folders in the Windows\WinSxS folder, prefixed "amd64_microsoft_windows_gwx". The description of one of the files installed – GWXUXWorker.exe – is "Get Windows 10".

getwindows10.png

Windows update to Get Windows 10

Another file of interest is config.xml. This has sections for various phases, starting at <Phase name="None"> and continuing through AnticipationUX, Reservation, Reserved, RTM, GA, various Upgrade phases, and, finally, UpgradeSetupFailed.

There is also a reference to an OnlineAdUrl, presumably a page hyping the benefits of Windows 10, though this is currently a dead link. The update appears to be intended to advertise Windows 10 and push the user towards consenting to download and install it.

That has absolutely NOTHING to do with what I asked for.

Look at that last paragraph they have "OnlineAdUrl" there are many more references all over the net about the MS version of the app store, cortana, the cloud and MS phasing out the local account features. It is already nearly impossible to install windows 10 without a live internet connection and a ms live account. There is a lot of hinky crap going on. And they haven't been showing a good track record of listening to the consumers or caring about us at all.

I cannot find any official docs on the ad theory. Just alot of under the table BS.

Look at that last paragraph they have "OnlineAdUrl" there are many more references all over the net about the MS version of the app store, cortana, the cloud and MS phasing out the local account features. It is already nearly impossible to install windows 10 without a live internet connection and a ms live account. There is a lot of hinky crap going on. And they haven't been showing a good track record of listening to the consumers or caring about us at all.

I cannot find any official docs on the ad theory. Just alot of under the table BS.

Why would you want to install ANY operating system without a live connection.  I have stated previously and I will state it now "a Microsoft Account is a god-send!" There are many operating systems out there, if you do not want to install Windows you can get a Mac, or install one of the many permutations of Linux.  I happen to greatly appreciate Microsoft's initiative in listening to their customers, and creating an excellent operating system.  They have improved greatly over the years, and I look forward to installing, and testing their newest builds.

LOL

Placeholder for ad:

NtY00MK.png

Thank you for that picture

Ummm holy carp?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/03/07/microsoft-is-using-your-data-to-target-political-ads-on-xbox-live/

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

NtY00MK.png

I really like the direction Big Muscle is taking with his ModernFrame DLL, which worked great up through build 10041.  I hope he can resurrect it again.  Getting all the window chrome to match a reasonable theme or theme atlas makes running Apps on the desktop seem a LOT nicer.

ImprovementsToModernApps.png

-Noel

It is becoming apparent that Windows 10 will/may include some built-in advertising space, similar to what has previously been seen with some Office 2013 and 365 installations. Advertising is something that many people do not care for or find intrusive. Some people fear that maybe these ads will be targetted like those run by Google or Facebook.

In the Google example, search histories using Google, or activity on any of its sites (G+, Youtube) help to determine what advertisements you see. In some cases, you will get location based ads, such as ads from companies where you live. Facebook's ads are based on what content you create or appears in your profile. You can actually play with this by creating a post and then you will see Facebook load up related ads!

In my opinion, if Microsoft were to implement advertisement, it would likely be in relation to its services. What you activity on MS websites were, what you searched for in Bing. I would find it unlikely that they would track your history from IE or what you were doing on other websites or in other browsers! However it is still a small concern (larger to others) who have noticed the trend of MS sneaking in updates disguised as performance or bug fixes, only to be found out that it may contain software to update your Windows to another version. People generally like to stay with what they are comfortable with and do not like the idea of a change being made without their consent or input.

This thread is for discussion relating to Windows 10's advertising behaviour. The previous posts were split from another thread so to keep that one on topic. These posts have retained the differing opinions on this, but please make sure to keep the discussion civil!