Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

jumper

KernelEx 4.5 Core Updates (4.5.2016.17)

No regression so far, thanks !!
Higher versions than 2.2.8 of VLC player do not work on a 98SE-Kex-system ??

@Miki see here and here. Use Dependency Walker to check for missing export functions & edit string within the DLL that is described using a HEX editor or similar, one is described on page 41 last post, oddly this post does not show in my profile. I would like to know what requirements are necessary for VLC 2.28 to run? The auxiliary Msvcrt what version was it and how did you have it implemented?

Edited by Goodmaneuver

KexBases23 has introduced an error in the LAVFilters-0.70.2-16.exe install (see image). OK with KexBases22.

There is an alternative to Msvcr80 31113 or 40209 as msvcrt. BlackWingCat's Msvcrt from Windows2000-KB935839-v22l-x86-ENU or any other 2K vs works if Ntdll > NtClose is linked to Gdi32 > DeleteObject. Tested as system substitute, Miro Video Converter & VLC3 all OK. There is only one application that I know of that needs depreciated _ctype which was an early ROS Explorer.exe. If _ctype function is needed then BlackWingCat's msvcrt is an alternative. Another good thing is its image base memory address 0x77B4000 does not clash with other modules. Sadly the wrapped Msvcrt.dw7 vs from Dx9W2kFx.zip did not work. Msvcrt was wrapped with Msvcr80 to provide a better Msvcrt with more functions.
NB I have updated one other build from 4.5.120 to KEX22 & flash 11_6_602_180 still works. Also Riched20 vs 14.0.7155.5000 is working on all applications using it. Some of my other builds require vs 5.50.99.2070 to work. (Certain menus & save options are corrupted with later Riched20 versions where GetGlyphIndicesW function appeared, & KEX is not to blame, I believe it is in the registry) Fixed, was Riched20 needing NT40 setting. I also had a slight Gdi32 corruption which had an effect of streaking in WinWord. MakeHuman1.1.1 also exited without error with NVOpenGL still set disabled and still working. So it looks like KEX settings are determining differing outcomes.

.LAV70.png

Edited by Goodmaneuver
removed RP9 commentry as still could have been co-incidental
  • Like 1

> KexBases23 has introduced an error in the LAVFilters-0.70.2-16.exe install (see image). OK with KexBases22.
Profile it and check the debug logs to see what changed that might have caused the problem. I can't do much without details. Remember to try alternate compat. modes.

> There is an alternative to Msvcr80 31113 or 40209 as msvcrt.
Msvcrt.dll is a known problem. Do not use Msvcrt80.dll as Msvcrt.dll ! Use 6.10.9848.0, 7.00.9981.0 or 7.10.7031.4 instead. Then KernelEx can provide the additional API's needed.

> if Ntdll > NtClose is linked to Gdi32 > DeleteObject
NtClose currently calls CloseHandle: "NtClose function...Deprecated. Closes the specified handle. NtClose is superseded by CloseHandle." DeleteObject is not the same thing.

> Also Riched20 vs 14.0.7155.5000 is working on all applications using it. Some of my other builds require vs 5.50.99.2070 to work. (Certain menus & save options are corrupted with later Riched20 versions where GetGlyphIndicesW function appeared, & KEX is not to blame, I believe it is in the registry)
I currently use 5.30.23.1200. More research on Riched20 and Riched32 is needed.

Msvcr70 or Msvcr71 any vs should not be used due to missing functions. Msvcr80's development changed significantly & dotnet's 31113 & 40209 Msvcr80 work faultlessly as Msvcrt. I am surprised you have not investigated/tried it. CloseHandle does not work, I tried it. I got my information from Microsoft web site and NtClose closes object of any type and decrements count very similar to DeleteObject. I am posting this message using the Msvcrt 7.0.3790.4341 as system file which is available from BlackWingCat's web site.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

Lav70 install error, does not happen with Lav69. Lav69 installer works with XPsp3 or above mode and is OK with KexBases23. Lav70.2 needed 2K3 or above modes & all modes were tried. I get mixed results with Depends profiling programs; for instance LAV70.2-16 will not profile correctly with KEX22 when it truly works. Also my profile of HD Video Converter Factory on page 43 is not to be trusted as it stops where as running without profiling it runs and the GUI window appears. Comparing KEX22 with KEX23 with Apilog on LAV70.2 there seems no difference except that instead of the GUI for install window appearing the error message appears, see the LAV70.zip containing KEX22 & KEX23 text results.

Riched32 I believe is irreplaceable but Riched20 14.0.7155.5000 has only one missing import GetGyphIndicesW. Works with OfficeXP MSO.dll 10.0.6870.0: - no missing imports from this library.

NB It did seem that CloseHandle was correct for NtClose but it did not work, so I tried DeleteObject & works faultlessly so far. The Handle to the object would be closed first. If there was another handle to the same object, would the object stay in memory because the object handler does the checks? NVopenGl needs disabled again now. & working great; KEX23.

"NtClose is a generic routine that operates on any type of object.

Closing an open object handle causes that handle to become invalid. The system also decrements the handle count for the object and checks whether the object can be deleted. The system does not actually delete the object until all of the object's handles are closed and no referenced pointers remain."

LAV70.zip

Edited by Goodmaneuver
typo