Windows 2000 with PAE Enabled

Tommy

I'm experiencing some weird artifacts from enabling physical address extension on my computer. I have 5GBs of RAM installed and Windows 2000 Advanced Server with is suppose to support up to 8GBs of RAM but it doesn't seem to unless you enable PAE. However, enabling PAE seems to have one very very vital flaw on my machine. Upon booting and the sound driver is enabled, all I get is constant static. This happens even during booting and will not quit until I get out of Windows completely and into the version that doesn't have PAE going. If I go into the non-PAE version, sound works just fine, but I'm limited once again to 3.2GBs of RAM. What's going on here? I've been thinking about switching to Windows 7 Pro and I've even played around with it a bit, but it's still not my beloved Windows 2000. But I would like the extra RAM working which is why I gave Advanced Server a try.

Checking Blackwingcat's blog, he apparently has a Win2000 Advanced Server machine with 8GBs of RAM so there must be a way for me to get this working.

Edited by Tommy

Hey buddy, how's it going?

Well, I'm using the drivers that came with the sound card itself. I tried installing the XP version which has worked in the past but this time it just froze my machine. I'm working with Professional as well so I might try the XP drivers on the professional version because I know it always worked if you extracted the drivers with WinZip. But doing the PAE enabling even on professional produces the same results. So I'll go ahead and try the updated drivers.