The new Start Menu is a shadow of its former self

JorgeA

You guys clearly haven't tried Build 9926! The 9841 start menu has died. The new start menu (if I'd even call it that) is no longer a shadow of its former self, but rather a faded memory.  :thumbdown

They've re-written it in XAML. Gone are the familiar Win32 right click context menus, and in are the 'modern' style. You can't even right click an application to check its properties, because properties no longer exists in the context menu. Why did they need to re-write it in XAML? Why is the feedback application an XAML modern application? It's dreadful. I've lost all confidence in Microsoft as a company. Who is pushing these decisions?

Only masochists at Microsoft would ever think about writing anything in XAML. :puke:  Anyway, this registry fix will (temporarily) bring back the build 9841 start menu and make things somewhat usable. http://www.winbeta.org/news/how-bring-back-old-resizable-start-menu-running-windows-10-build-9926

Who is pushing these decisions?

They're clearly still driven to build one UI to fit smart phones and desktop computers.

I guess they must think that no one knows they really want it this way, and only after we see it will we be convinced it's the right thing to do.

If they'd never written an OS before, and this was a beta for version 1.0, and it was the late 1980s, THEN it might be impressive.

-Noel

One small ray of light:

Windows 10: Transparency coming to future builds for the Start menu

Microsoft showed off quite a few new features last week with the Windows 10, but not all of them made their way into the public release that went out on Friday. One of the features not directly talked about – but that you can clearly see in the image above – is a Start menu with transparency.

The transparency does add a bit of visual flair to the menu, and we suspect that it will be an option that you can turn off and on when it does arrive. With a darker background and properly sorted tiles, the Start menu looks much better than what most users have currently in 9926.

You know it's really bad when even NeoWin thinks it can be improved. For three years they've been cheering for the Metro/Win8 UI train wreck.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

That's weird. When I copy-and-pasted the headline from NeoWin, it came with the hyperlink automatically (the "hand" would show up when I hovered over it), so there was no need to manually add the link. And now the headline is underlined but not associated with a URL.

Very strange.

--JorgeA

UPDATE: Link now added. Thanks for pointing this out.

Edited by JorgeA

what's the problem with XAML ...?

Here is a tweak that should revert the XAML start menu to the non-XAML start menu:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]"EnableXamlStartMenu"=dword:00000000

This will allow sub folders and lets you manually resize the start menu to any size (not just full screen or auto).

Cheers and Regaards

what's the problem with XAML and what do they use "normally"?

Microsoft seems to think that if everything is programmed like a web page (okay, that's an oversimplification, but it gets the point across) that the whole world will be able to write great programs to sell in their App Store and they will become insanely wealthy by skimming 30% off the sales.

Trouble is, good programming requires more than just a passing capability of marking up a web interface.

Just look how well most of the web pages on the net work.

Someone forgot to train the current crop of programmers at Microsoft in actual good engineering practices, so they can't tell the difference.

-Noel

oh shiii I see Longhorn all over again

if they are pushing XAML and WPF into shell again, this only indicates they are forcing OS (people)

to actually need installing/having that garbage bloatware .net framework installed

I wouldn't be surprised they use this evasive move to kill "win32" API in favor of .net

especially now when metro "apps" (ugh why are those called apps again ?) are WPF "based"

Edited by vinifera