Win7x64 vs Win7x86+Pae patch?

sdt

Hey everyone i have a pc with 4gb ram and 1gb ram Nvidia GTX 560 and x86_64 processor and i have both Win7x64 and Win7x86. The question is what will run better for me?

Win7x64 or Win7x86+Pae patch?

There is NO difference whatever that you can actually appreciate (not even through benchmarks) between running a 32 bit or a 64 bit OS.

There is also NO actual noticeable difference between a 3.5 Gb and a 4 Gb system. (if you need a lot of RAM for the specific use you do of the PC, then you need A LOT of it).

IMHO:

If you have 4 Gb, run a "normal" 32-bit 7 (no need to "risk" a patch for no practical gain).

If you have 4 Gb a 64 bit OS may result as actually being slower/worse as it will likely use MORE RAM than the corresponding 32 bit one, vanifying the 0.5 Gb "more accessible RAM" you have.

If you have sensibly more than 4 Gb RAM (let's say from 8 Gb, up) then it would make sense to use the 64 bit version.

jaclaz

And if he has 6 GB of RAM? Shouldn't he use Windows 7

There is NO difference whatever that you can actually appreciate (not even through benchmarks) between running a 32 bit or a 64 bit OS.

There is also NO actual noticeable difference between a 3.5 Gb and a 4 Gb system. (if you need a lot of RAM for the specific use you do of the PC, then you need A LOT of it).

IMHO:

If you have 4 Gb, run a "normal" 32-bit 7 (no need to "risk" a patch for no practical gain).

If you have 4 Gb a 64 bit OS may result as actually being slower/worse as it will likely use MORE RAM than the corresponding 32 bit one, vanifying the 0.5 Gb "more accessible RAM" you have.

If you have sensibly more than 4 Gb RAM (let's say from 8 Gb, up) then it would make sense to use the 64 bit version.

jaclaz

Thank you jaclaz for helping.

And if he has 6 GB of RAM? Shouldn't he use Windows 7 x64?

I consider it a "turnpoint".

Wasting 2.5 Gb of RAM is "waste".

Still, it is IMHO "not enough" to completely justify the *switch* to 64 bit, which  has a number of strings attached, including more space on hard disk needed.

In my perverted mind ;) 6 Gb corresponds to what in the good ol'times was 96 Mb, more than 64 Mb, but sensibly less than 128 :whistle:, if you do "normal" things, 4 Gb (or 3.5 Gb) are "enough", if you need more juice, go for 8 Gb.

jaclaz