Microsoft is violating their own EULA for Windows XP.

vipejc

In 2012, a Microsoft representative said once XP support ends on April 8, 2014, XP users will still be able to reactivate their OS or software like before. But if you call WPA, the automated recording tells you Microsoft will only allow reactivation of existing legitimate XP licenses when customers transfer their full-package-product license to a new system, or install on a currently licensed system. It sounds simple enough, but talk to a WPA agent and they'll play semantics with you and say sorry we can't reactivate Windows XP because we no longer provide technical support for it, even though there's nothing wrong with your Windows XP or product key. Are they wrong? It sure sounds like it according to the automated recording. Or are they right and that's why when I attempted to reactivate Microsoft software called Plus! Digital Media Edition, the WPA wizard said it couldn't connect to the Microsoft server? I don't know, but I felt it was necessary to share this issue with the public so they can look into it as well.

The problem is Microsoft may have set the activation servers to block all XP reactivations. If you try to reactivate your Windows XP or Microsoft software, the WPA installation wizard may automatically generate an error saying it can't connect to the Microsoft server. What could be happening is once the server calls home to Microsoft, it checks and detects the OS or Microsoft software is for XP and invokes the block.  

Microsoft can't just suddenly change the Windows XP EULA. The deal was the license allows an end user to install Windows XP or most Microsoft software on one computer as many times as they want and they'll be able to reactivate it forever. This is grounds for a lawsuit if true. And the last thing Microsoft needs is more bad press. If it is true, they're only doing this because they're so desperate for money, can't surpass XP, and badly want to kill XP as fast as they can. I've already shared this with the two heads of Microsoft Windows: President Julie Larson-Green and Terry Myerson. They can pull this same scam on any future Windows OS or Microsoft software, too, so we need to watch them very carefully as time goes on.

Edited by vipejc

Microsoft has no integrity any more. Not since windows 8.

Honestly I am not at all surprised. Remember if you read into their EULA more it becomes clear that you truly in essence are only renting the OS's anyways.

It may take some time but wait for a couple of big corporations to try to activate some of the XP they have. Another class action suit will be filed. They wont change though they have barely followed through with any of the judgments against them in the past and Win8 has shown they don't give a rats a$$ about the actual consumer.

Microsoft has no integrity any more. Not since windows 8.

Honestly I am not at all surprised. Remember if you read into their EULA more it becomes clear that you truly in essence are only renting the OS's anyways.

It may take some time but wait for a couple of big corporations to try to activate some of the XP they have. Another class action suit will be filed. They wont change though they have barely followed through with any of the judgments against them in the past and Win8 has shown they don't give a rats a$$ about the actual consumer.

Well, I contacted the two top dogs at Microsoft and told them that if they don't do one of these 4 things within a month, I'm taking this story straight to the Lead Editor of PC Magazine:

1. Deactivate the Windows XP activation servers for all versions of the OS and all Microsoft-brand XP software.

2. Roll out a patch via Windows Update to automatically delete WPA in the registry.

3. Write an article explaining how to manually delete WPA and post it somewhere easy to find.

4. Generate one bypass-activation key that can be used for all versions of the OS and all Microsoft-brand XP software.

All clever and doable options that let Microsoft save face.

:crazy: This video was done on April 16. Activated via the Wizard, using the COA key and an OEM CD. Also, in the comments, a person claims to have activated an Oracle VM install. And another person specifically stated that Phone Activation won't work anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rDxidN2ydg

Here's a topic at MS that states similar information.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/e689f11d-1bae-4b34-92af-33e87e11d45e/what-will-happen-to-windows-xp-activation-after-april-2014?forum=itproxpsp

This person also activated via the Wizard.

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/492458-windows-xp-beyond-activation

And here (plus a litlle yammering about what will/won't run) -

http://www.pc410.com/rants/windows-xp-support-has-ended-at-microsoft-so-what/

HUH! Here's an MS KB that states if your System Clock is incorrect, you'll get that error.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306153

And here is an article on Win2k3 (same error #) that mentions Revoked Certificates on Proxy -

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/816897

Edited by submix8c

I heard back from Microsoft. Instead of Julie or Terry replying directly to me with a clear explanation, they forwarded my e-mail to Jitin, who is a tier 3 Technical Support Agent in India who seems confused himself. LOL Here's his official response, which contradicts the WPA automated recording:

Hello Erik, (He misspelled my name when it was the first thing in my original letter. LOL) I am Jitin Singh from Microsoft Answer Desk Tier 3 team and I will be helping you with the case #private. Microsoft will continue to allow activation of existing, legitimate Windows XP/Office 2003 licenses. The allowance of activation does not apply to future versions of Windows, and has no impact on Windows XP/ Office 2003 end of support. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

But remember, the automated recording says Microsoft will only allow reactivation of existing legitimate XP licenses when customers transfer their full-package-product license to a new system, or install on a currently licensed system. Two people have reported being able to reactivate OEM Windows XP, but I have that, and they don't usually require reactivation, as they're tied to the motherboard. Somebody with a retail Windows XP needs to back up their current system, reinstall XP, see if WPA works as expected, and restore your backup image after testing. The reason why I feel Microsoft really is blocking XP reactivations is because last week I attempted to reactivate Microsoft software called Plus! Digital Media Edition with a genuine product key, but the WPA wizard said it couldn't connect to the Microsoft server. Then I called WPA, and when both Microsoft WPA agents told me they no longer can activate XP licenses, I was sure. I know Plus! Digital Media Edition isn't Windows XP, but it's Microsoft software for XP and also uses WPA, so unless this is opposite week, I'm still not convinced Microsoft representatives will reactivate XP, especially deep into the future. If I am wrong, blame Microsoft for making me throw a false flag.

Edited by vipejc