Chance for Presto engine to be realeased!?!

Flasche

http://blogs.opera.com/desktop/2014/04/opera-12-17/

While I was digging around the opera blogs about Opera 12.17 update, i found this little comment.

"Opera mini uses Presto, and so do many TV installs. While products are still using Presto, we don't plan to open-source it."
http://blogs.opera.com/desktop...

Naturally I clicked the provided link to the see what was up, when it brought me to an other comment on the opera develper 22 blog from a moderator who said...

Opera mini uses Presto, and so do many TV installs. While products are still using Presto, we don't plan to open-source it.

So its good to hear an unofficial yes from someone in the opera team saying that they will Open sourse Presto engine...Someday, but not now, but... exactly how long will this be... a day, a month,  5 years!

I'm taking bets on the years one.

"... While products are still using Presto, we don't plan to open-source it."

Naturally I clicked the provided link to the see what was up, when it brought me to an other comment on the opera develper 22 blog from a moderator who said...

... While products are still using Presto, we don't plan to open-source it.

... saying that they will Open sourse Presto engine...Someday, but not now, ...

From your quotes above, it looks like they're being consistent to me, so I'm not sure where you got the "Someday" from. And I agree with vinifera that even if a moderator expressed a different opinion than a developer I would believe the developer over the moderator every time.

Cheers and Regards

"... While products are still using Presto, we don't plan to open-source it."

... While products are still using Presto, we don't plan to open-source it.

... saying that they will Open sourse Presto engine...Someday, but not now, ...

From your quotes above, it looks like they're being consistent to me, so I'm not sure where you got the "Someday" from. And I agree with vinifera that even if a moderator expressed a different opinion than a developer I would believe the developer over the moderator every time.

Cheers and Regards

So would I with the moderator vs developer, but I did not find any developers contradicting his statement. The "Someday" part is my take on his statement. I thought his statement meant a someday, because of the TV installs. There are probably contracts made with those companies. Do note it’s just my opinion on his statement, and your welcome to infer it anyway you want.

Hmmm. :unsure:

@Flasche

What does the sentence (example):

I don't plan to travel to China before next year.

mean to you?

1. On January 1st 2015 I will start planning to travel to China.
  2. On January 1st 2015 I will leave for a trip to China.
  3. During 2015 I will surely plan to travel to China.
  4. During 2015 I will surely travel to China.
  5. Sometime in the future I will plan to travel to China.
  6. Sometime in the future I will travel to China.
  7. I don't plan to travel to China before next year.
  8. I don't plan to travel to China before next year, as a matter of fact I may never start planning a trip there.
  9. I don't plan to travel to China before next year, as a matter of fact I may never start planning a trip anywhere.
  10. I don't plan to travel to China before next year, as a matter of fact I may never get to travel to there.
  11. I don't plan to travel to China before next year, as a matter of fact I may never travel anywhere.

Please choose one.

jaclaz

Sorry Flasche, I still seem to not be seeing something you are seeing.  Looking strictly at your quotes above, it seems to me that it says: (my interpretation)

[quasi-quote]
There are several current products, including Opera mini and many TV installs, that use Presto, and we hope/plan that those products will continue to use Presto. But we still have no plans at this time to open-source Presto. As of this time, Presto will continue to be a closed source proprietary product that we will continue to market to a select clientele. We know there is interest in it for other purposes, and we know that others are willing to do the necessary work to modify it for those purposes if we would be willing to release it as an open source product, but unfortunately we do not have any plans to release Presto as an open source product.
[/quasi-quote]

I don't see a "someday" hinted at anywhere.  Yes, as with the marketing plans of any product of any company, those plans might change in the future, but I just don't see from your quotes above that they are giving anyone any firm hope that may happen.  You are by all means encouraged to hope, petition, beg, or anything else you can think of to get it to happen.  Less likely things have come to pass.

Cheers and Regards

Hmmm. :unsure:

@Flasche

What does the sentence (example):

I don't plan to travel to China before next year.

mean to you?

1. On January 1st 2015 I will start planning to travel to China.
  2. On January 1st 2015 I will leave for a trip to China.
  3. During 2015 I will surely plan to travel to China.
  4. During 2015 I will surely travel to China.
  5. Sometime in the future I will plan to travel to China.
  6. Sometime in the future I will travel to China.
  7. I don't plan to travel to China before next year.
  8. I don't plan to travel to China before next year, as a matter of fact I may never start planning a trip there.
  9. I don't plan to travel to China before next year, as a matter of fact I may never start planning a trip anywhere.
  10. I don't plan to travel to China before next year, as a matter of fact I may never get to travel to there.
  11. I don't plan to travel to China before next year, as a matter of fact I may never travel anywhere.

Please choose one.

jaclaz

I chose #5, but modified. "Sometime in the future I 'hope to be able to' travel to China."

Just thought of something, what are you trying to do Jaclaz... :huh:

Edited by Flasche

Optimistic little devil aren't you?  You definitely appear to be a glass half full kind of person and, IMHO, that is a very nice thing.   :)

But it is interesting that you chose a modified #5 instead of #7.  I guess that helps explain how you got "someday" out of the quotes you posted.

Keep thinking good thoughts.  Maybe it will help make the world a better place.  At the very least it will help balance out against vinifera, one of the curmudgeons of the board. (No offense meant. It takes all kinds. :) )

Cheers and Regards

It was just a diagnostic test. :)

The "right" answer would have been #7 <- "Realist"

#5 is "Optimist", border line with "Dreamer".

#8 is "Pessimist"

#11 is "Depressed"

jaclaz

It was just a diagnostic test. :)

The "right" answer would have been #7 <- "Realist"

#5 is "Optimist", border line with "Dreamer".

#8 is "Pessimist"

#11 is "Depressed"

jaclaz

I had a feeling, that 7 would be the right feeling, but went with what I personally would mean if I were to say that to someone.

Also where did you find this test I remember it from somewhere long ago...

But it is interesting that you chose a modified #5 instead of #7.  I guess that helps explain how you got "someday" out of the quotes you posted.

Well I hope you do understand now ;) . I like to have Hope when I think. I realized a long time ago, that its the people that have hope, and don't back down achieve their goals. I mean its much harder to kill an idea than its is a person.

As for opera Presto goes, if they still wont realse it this might work to update presto manually

actually you could do following, but isn't quite legal yet also not illegal either

find yourself Longhorn (Vista) reset build, the client version 5.2.3790.1232

this is XP since it is client version of Server 2003 SP1 RC

its EULA makes it illegal, but its out of ANY support makes it legal

-

by logic it should accept any Server 2003 SP and hotfixes since its kernel is 5.2 (remember this one is 32bit) and is still XP

so stiff Servers '03 SP2 init and all hotfixes (or try slipstream) and there you go

Its one of vinifera statements from the XP to 2019 thread. What caught my attention was this though "but its out of ANY support makes it legal" and being the little devil I am  :angel  this little quote really intrigues me. Does anyone here know what law vinifera is referring to?

EDIT: as for that test, I'm most definitely a Dreamer :thumbup

Edited by Flasche

skipped this all

Flasche, Devs never visit opera "community" and never forums, trust me

therefore you will never get any feedback or info from them on any matter

mods there are either Mods or part of PR nothing else

Edited by vinifera

Also where did you find this test I remember it from somewhere long ago...

I quickly put it together for this specific case, though it is very possible that you saw something similar somewhere.

jaclaz

actually you could do following, but isn't quite legal yet also not illegal either

Hmm but how about this little thing called out of any support. Would that apply to presto engine too.

Dont mean to double ask this, but I think this might be a key.

Hmm but how about this little thing called out of any support. Would that apply to presto engine too.

Dont mean to double ask this, but I think this might be a key.

Sure :yes:, ask anyone with an even minimal familiarity with Copyright, software and intellectual property related Laws about the validity of this (anonymous/apodictic - with all due respect to vinifera :)) sentence:

in an actual Court (in any of the countries that do have such Laws).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz