Windows File Protection not accepting nlite-disk

whocares02

Hi there,

I have trouble with windows' builtin file-protection. When activated, it keeps asking for the original XP-CD and won't accept my modified nlite-disk. During unattended installation WFP is turned off to speed-up the process. With a reg-file I re-enabled WFP and got described problem. For deactivation I used the option in nlite before compiling the disk.

I already found out on microsoft's homepage that the two files IMS.inf and fp40ext.inf are responsible for that behavior. Does anybody know how to change them so WFP will work as usual with a nlite-cd? Forum-search didn't give me any results.

Edit:

The reg-file used to re-enable WFP:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]"SfcQuota"=dword:ffffffff"SFCDisable"=dword:00000000

It needs a reboot to work.

Edited by whocares02

And how did you disable WFP, before?
For deactivation I used the option in nlite before compiling the disk.

The option is somewhere on the last page of nlite's wizard.

Your source is probably modified in a non kosher way, "outside" of nLite.

I don't think so. The install-files are not modified my be. Additional folders in the root-dir of the disk are common (e.g. a Dotnet-folder was present on my orig-disk, provided by the manufacturer). Usually XP accepts XP-disks with additional folders nevertheless.

Just playing around with the two mentioned files in the microsoft-article: Microsoft recommends replacing all strings reading "Professional" with the string "Home". Doing so changes the CD-Names WFP is looking for. Up to now I got a partial success. Windows File Protection is not asking for the Service Pack CD anymore. Instead it want's the nlite-CD. fp40ext.inf didn't exist in my fresh n-lite-windows-installation at all. I guess nlite did just remove it, with disabling WFP (or is it called SFC?). So I copied fp40ext.inf from another computer.

Also, IMS.inf reads some lines mentioning a CD-Tag-File. There are 3 CD-Tag-Files on my disk but they are not used in IMS.inf. So I replaced the strings with non-existent -CD-Tag-files with vaild ones.

In addition I opened the cd-tag-files to look what's inside: WIN51, WIN51IC, WIN51IC.SP2 all just contain the word "Windows".

After a reboot however, SFC is asking for the service-pack-CD again and not the nlite-CD anymore. Don't know if this is a progress or not...

Edit: There is also a line in fp40ext.inf reading:

productname = "Windows XP Home"

don't know how this is red from disk. Maybe nlite did change that string too and I have to apply that change to fp40ext.inf as well.

SFC however is requesting both disks now: nlite-disk and service-pack-disk, when hitting cancel frequently.

Edit:

I think I got it: There is a third file

C:\Windows\inf\layout.inf

I opened that file, replaced all CD-Names with my nlite-cd's name and all cd-tag-entries with valid cd-tag-filenames. SFC is still scanning for files but up to now no disk was requested anymore!

Edited by whocares02

Yep :), what I was asking was a bit beyond that.

I mean, what are the actual "patches" (to the Registry or to the files) that that choice produces? :unsure:

It is possible that *somehow* that particular setting/tweak is not compatible (or not entirely compatible) with your SP level (or other integrated hotfixes, etc.).

In addition I opened the cd-tag-files to look what's inside: WIN51, WIN51IC, WIN51IC.SP2 all just contain the word "Windows".

Yes, this is normal, those tag files are what tells the setup to which Service Pack level is the source, see:
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=16381&hl=

but if you have the "IC" (and not the "IP" files) it means that your source is "Home" (and not "Professional").

What are the actual tag files you have on your source?

What are the actual tag files you have on your self-made integrated disk?

What are the actual tag file names in the files in your source (unmodified)?

What are the actual tag file names in the files in your build (after having been processed by nite)?

Since you are into iso-experiments, why don't you give to the n-lited build CD the same name as the original?

i.e. instead of -volid "XP-SP2 -DE_Silent" use -volid "VRMHFPP_DE" (or whatever) see also:

http://www.tacktech.com/Software.cfm?sc=windowsxp

scroll down until you find the suitable:

Known Windows XP ....

jaclaz

My original XP-CD is Windows XP SP2 Home Edition German. In the root-folder are three tag-files:

WIN51WIN51ICWIN51IC.SP2

My nlite-disk has the same three files since I didn't modify anything (instead, I added three folders: $OEM$, a folder with a disk-image inside and a folder with non-integratable updates for manual installation, if needed (e.g office-updates, .NET1.1, ramdisk-freeware). The XP-setup is not altered in an unusual way with this.

For my next build, I now added the files

WIN51MPWIN51ICWIN51IP2WIN51IC.SP2

with copying and renaming the present id-files (which all just carry the word "Windows "). I did this just to make sure some other sub-process of sfc might not miss those files.

Regarding to compatibility: I downloaded over 400 hotfixes and really sorted them out: IE7-Updates, IE8-Updates, Mediaplayer-Updates...and SP3-Updates.

For the last step, I tried all hotfixes rejected by nlite manually on my SP2-machine to see if they are for SP3. I guess it were about 80 or 90 hotfixes. Rest of them is just not working for specific reasons (e.g. windowsinstaller-kb893803-v2-x86.exe is outdated, windows-kb909520-v1.000-x86-deu.exe never works for some reason, SFU3 and SFU3.5 are special-purpose, hotfixes beginning with msxml4 and msxml6 or ie7 sometimes integrate, sometimes not). Hotfixes not getting integrated for unknown reason get called from RunOnceEx.cmd with a silent switch, after XP got installed.

I really don't believe my system was incompatible since the hotfixes check by themself if specific files need updates or not.

Since you are into iso-experiments, why don't you give to the n-lited build CD the same name as the original?

i.e. instead of -volid "XP-SP2 -DE_Silent" use -volid "VRMHFPP_DE" (or whatever) see also:

Good idea, thank you. I really wanna come to an end. My DVD is almost finished and I tried so much already...maybe...I might try that one as well...wait...no...actually I don't want.

Edit:

Just doing some tests with SFC:

\windows\system32\dllcache

seems to be the regular folder SFC is taking files from (in case of replacement).

If I now remove the file

\Windows\help\apps.chm

and run

sfc /scannow

on the commandline, the file does get replaced! So far...SFC seems to work correctly. However, if I remove apps.chm from \windows\system32\dllcache in addition, the file doesn't get missed and replaced. No request for instertion of XP-CD is showing up.

I'll try it with a reboot now. Don't think it will change anything.

Edited by whocares02

AFAIK/AFAICR the three files:

• WIN51
  • WIN51IC
  • WIN51IC.SP2

are OK for a SP2 "Home" install disc (and no other tag file is needed normally).

I won't tell you again (but I am actually telling you this ;)) how most probably you did too many steps (n-liting/integrating/whatever) all together, and thus it is IMHO very possible that something created a conflict in the build (not in your system being "incompatible").

jaclaz

Yeah, you told me a couple of times....up to now I proofed you wrong every single time. I got everything to work properly (with lots of help from here). The whole setup is really unattended now. I even wrote autoit-scripts to cleanup start-menu and quick-launch. But no...no system-changes actually...I think it's within the three .inf-files, I manipulated. I didn't use any tutorial - my modifications are based on my guessings.

I could provide some .reg-files, I created. Not sure if some ain't language-dependent but they could be usefull for other readers nevertheless.

Disable_System-Sounds.reg

Enable_File-Protection.reg

Explorer-Show_Adressbar.reg

Explorer-Show_Statusbar.reg

Explorer-Customize_Toolbar.reg (shows cut-, copy- and paste-icons !!)

Register_Winamp_Filetypes.reg

Replace-Notepad_with_Metapad.reg

Remove_RecycleBin.reg

Switch_off_Remote-Desktop.reg

Replace-Taskmanager.reg (with SystemExplorer)

SetWallpaper.reg

Show_Quick_Launch.reg

Disable_WindowsBeep.reg (not sure if working)

New_TimeServers-for_Windows.reg

Update-Time_Twice_a_day.reg

Unblock_CDR.reg

Unblock_Excel.reg

Unblock_PPT.reg

Unblock_Word.reg

Switch_Off_Scripting_Host.reg (not in use, because needed by a .NET-Update-pack)

These are actually all my system-modifications. Autoit-Scripts are used in addition to create shortcuts and move them within start-menu.

Edited by whocares02

Your script is really interesting!

Without extensions like Joliet or RockRidge, ISO-4 is the only ISO9660-filesystem giving a valid output. If someone wants higher compatibility, he/she should choose ISO-2 or ISO-3 since they replace everything unreadable with underscore. Usage of wrong codepage causes RockRidge and ISO-4 to include gibberish-chars. Joliet always seem to work. However, I got an Iso one time with broken Joliet-filenames as well. No idea how to reproduce that.

Edited by whocares02

You know what? I don't believe the strings I edited in the three files are really CD-Labels. In the original version of ims.inf for instance the string-section reads:

[Strings]REG_UNINSTALL="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall"REG_INETSTP="Software\Microsoft\InetStp"REG_INETMGR="Software\Microsoft\InetMgr"REG_SVCS_INETINFO="System\CurrentControlSet\Services\InetInfo"REG_KEYRING="Software\Microsoft\Keyring"REG_APPPATHS="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths"REG_CLSID="Software\Classes\CLSID"REG_SLATE_MMC="Software\Microsoft\MMC"SZ_SLATE_ID="{A841B6C2-7577-11d0-BB1F-00A0C922E79C}"; the following are localizableSDESC_IMS="SMTP-Dienst";Do not localize for Far East languages (CHS/CHT/KOR/JPN).LDESC_IMS="Unterstützt die Übertragung von E-Mail."SDESC_IIS_SMTP="SMTP-Dienst";Do not localize for Far East languages (CHS/CHT/KOR/JPN).LDESC_IIS_SMTP="SMTP-Dienstdateien"SDESC_IIS_SMTP_DOCS="Dokumentation für SMTP-Dienst"LDESC_IIS_SMTP_DOCS="SMTP-Dienst-Dokumentationsdateien"SZ_SLATE_NAME_STRING="Internetdienste"; sneely: changed to add media strings here.  Note that [strings] must be the last section in this filecdname = "Windows XP Professional-CD-ROM"productname = "Windows XP Professional"bootname1    = "Windows XP Professional SP2 Setup – Startdiskette"bootname2    = "Windows XP Professional SP2 Setup – Diskette 2"bootname3    = "Windows XP Professional SP2 Setup – Diskette 3"bootname4    = "Windows XP Professional SP2 Setup – Diskette 4"bootname5    = "Windows XP Professional SP2 Setup – Diskette 5"bootname6    = "Windows XP Professional SP2 Setup – Diskette 6"cdtagfile   = "\win51ip";{locked}cdtagfilei   = "\win51ip";{locked}cdtagfilem   = "\win51mp";{locked}boottagfile1   = "\disk101";{locked}boottagfile2   = "\disk102";{locked}boottagfile3   = "\disk103";{locked}boottagfile4   = "\disk104";{locked}boottagfile5   = "\disk105";{locked}boottagfile6   = "\disk106";{locked}spcdname = "Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD"spcdtagfilei   = "\win51ip.sp2";{locked}cd2name = "Windows XP Professional CD2"cd2tagfilei = "\win51ip2";{locked}

The string

cdname = "Windows XP Professional-CD-ROM"

is far too long for a CD-Label. My Orig-XP-CD's label is "GER_HOME_SP2". Therefore I think I didn't manipulate the inf-files in the proper way. I also tried my new Iso with all possible cd-tag-filename-combinations in root-folder. It doesn't get accepted as well.

How could I figure-out CD-identification is done within the three files?