XP64 on DDR4 - Is it Doable?

Hey all,

So, Microsoft is on the cusp of EOL'ing Windows XP and XP64, but I don't wanna get off this train. I've been using XP64 since my last major hardware overhaul in 2008, and (despite the horror stories I've heard and the reputation the OS has) I've had a great time with it. I was determined to get XP64 to avoid Vista while still having access to 64-bit computing for things like 3D animation and graphics programs (3DSMax, etc). Driver/software compatibility/BSoDs have, on the whole, been very rare for me.

But with end of support from Microsoft, end of support from hardware manufacturers is sure to follow. I'm glad I came across you guys, because you're working magic with OSes that everyone else deems to be "botnet fodder" or "unsuable dinosaurs" or what not. Tech news sites are making great sport of XP users right now, and as more games start to drop support for XP, their discussion forums are full of snark from 7 and 8 users saying crap like "But what about Windows 3.1 support?!!?! What about MS-DOS support?!?!?!?!?!"

Here at MSFN, it's much different. I've already seen discussion of how to get continued security updates from Microsoft for XP64 for another year, and that got me thinking.

Come next year, DDR4 RAM-friendly motherboards and chipsets are set to appear for desktops. Stuff like Intel's Skylake, Cannonlake and so on. My computer has been in serious need of an upgrade to keep up with the increasing demands of software and the sort of heavy duty multitasking that I do. 4 GB of DDR2 RAM was awesome in 2008, but nowadays ... not so much.

The EOL of XP and XP64 has me worried, though. What challenges, if any, can I expect to face if I decide to upgrade my computer's guts to something DDR4-compatible? Would I be better off making the overhaul now, on the tail end of DDR3? Or, is it too early to tell if there will be driver/hardware compatibility issue with that stuff?

Thank you in advance!

XP x64 EOL isn't the same as XP 32-bit.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=windows+xp

Support doesn't end for another year for x64 (AFAIK). Same for Server 2003.

As for "DDR4", that would probably be irrelevant :unsure: . What you'll run into is not finding drivers for the Chipset and associated Hardware.

Oh, so XP64 will still be getting security updates and whatnot for a little while? I thought MS was going to drop XP x64 like a rock.

On the drivers issue ... that's true, though I see it as an academic distinction since DDR4 isn't backwards compatible with older chipsets and hardware, that I'm aware of.

I honestly can't say about whether XP can "detect" DDR4. Obvoiusly, your talking about a brand spanky new MoBo, of which XP already has some heartburn with the latest (already out) MoBo's with DDR3/EFI/Chipset/CPU/(etc.). Don't depend on using XP on a TOO new MoBo - stick to the newest that has Drivers for your OS, otherwise double-trouble.

Wherever you seen "isn't backwards compatibe", well, that's true. the Slots are entirely different between ALL of the DDRn sticks. You can't stick DDR3 into a DDR2 slot, any more than you can stick SDRAM into a DDR slot (and vice-versa).

Edited by submix8c

The lack of backwards compatibility when it comes to hardware has been the bane of my existence for PC computing, believe me; when I did that overhaul back in 2008, it was due to a dying AGP video card (Radeon 9800 PRO). I chafed at needing to shell out for practically new-everything since the industry had moved on from AGP cards to PCIe, so with the 2008 overhaul I was looking to future-proof the machine for as long as possible. It worked ... sorta. It would have worked much better if it weren't for certain bungling on my part (involving things like forgetting to make sure an external router had proper surge protection, or making sure I had a case with proper airflow) ...

Is there a list of XP64-friendly motherboards/chipsets available? Or at least, ones with XP64-friendly drivers?

Edited by TrevMUN

XP x64 EOL isn't the same as XP 32-bit.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=windows+xp

Support doesn't end for another year for x64 (AFAIK). Same for Server 2003.

As for "DDR4", that would probably be irrelevant :unsure: . What you'll run into is not finding drivers for the Chipset and associated Hardware.

You are incorrect about support. Extended phase support for Windows XP x64 Edition ends alongside that of the x86 buld on April 8, 2014. Yes, XP x64 and Windows Server 2003 are the same codebase, but only Server 2003 continues to receive updates until July 2015.

While it may be possible to modify updates from Server 2003 to apply to x64 (5eraph will vouch for that), there are no dedicated updates relase for Windows XP x64 Edition after two weeks from now.

Speaking of which though, I came across a dandy HP Workstation (z810 I believe) from 2010. It seems VERY powerful and from what I understand, Windows XP x64 Edition is fully supported.

Does anyone have some impression of this model (or even experience with it?). I used an HP xw8200 for three years with XP x64 Edition on it, and it was a perfect machine for the OS.

While it may be possible to modify updates from Server 2003 to apply to x64 (5eraph will vouch for that), there are no dedicated updates relase for Windows XP x64 Edition after two weeks from now.

So far, no modifications are necessary for high priority updates, JodyThornton. The packages are the same for x64 versions of XP and Win2003. Always have been because of the shared codebase. The only "dedicated" updates have been a few QFE patches for Win2003, but most of those apply to XPx64 and can be installed with a simple hex edit.

Edited by 5eraph

So far, no modifications are necessary for high priority updates, JodyThornton. The packages are the same for x64 versions of XP and Win2003. Always have been because of the shared codebase. The only "dedicated" updates have been a few QFE patches for Win2003, but most of those apply to XPx64 and can be installed with a simple hex edit.

Even with the hex edit though, is it not possible that you'll be able to install some updates that aren't really valid for XP x64? So it may have adverse effects?

Well, OK what I mean to say is that "as they are delivered", 2003 updates will not install on XP x64 past April 8th; is that not indeed correct?

As I said, so far that is not correct. Microsoft may make changes after April 8th, but no official announcements I've read indicate that it will happen.

Even with the hex edit though, is it not possible that you'll be able to install some updates that aren't really valid for XP x64? So it may have adverse effects?

It's possible, but I haven't seen any yet and I use XPx64 as my primary operating system. Your mileage may vary.

This is not at all meant to be argumentative, but nothing I've read at all would indicate that updates would be installable on XP x64 after that date. Microsoft flat out states support will end alongside x86's date of April 8th. So I'd have to think they would at least make it difficult to use 2003 updates on an x64 system.

Hey I hope your right and it may mean my eventual return to XP x64. I am continuing to run XP x86 on my old D610 Dell notebook PC, and I'll see how it fares post-support date. If I experience no issues at all after a significant amount of time, I may just return to XP x64 Edition on my xw8200 Worstation.

This is not at all meant to be argumentative, but nothing I've read at all would indicate that updates would be installable on XP x64 after that date. Microsoft flat out states support will end alongside x86's date of April 8th. So I'd have to think they would at least make it difficult to use 2003 updates on an x64 system.

Hey I hope your right and it may mean my eventual return to XP x64. I am continuing to run XP x86 on my old D610 Dell notebook PC, and I'll see how it fares post-support date. If I experience no issues at all after a significant amount of time, I may just return to XP x64 Edition on my xw8200 Worstation.

Why don't you all put this topic in a "suspended" state and see what will happen on April 9th, 2014?

I mean, at the time Jody Thornton started panicking/whining :w00t:;) about the end of support of XP 64 bit the deadline was far in the future, but now it is just a coupe of weeks away.

@Jody

In any case, should the more optimist 5eraph's take on the matter be verified, you should know that support will end (for real) on 14/07/2015, and need not to make the same amount of posts revolving around this issue ;).

jaclaz

Why don't you all put this topic in a "suspended" state and see what will happen on April 9th, 2014?

It is possible Microsoft could make things difficult for XPx64 users. Update packages released on or before April 8th should always install when downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center. It's unclear, however, how the Windows Update website (and the related Microsoft Update website) will act from the following Patch Tuesday onward. I'd assume that Microsoft will allow XPx64 clients to continue using the site at least until May 13th.

I mean, at the time Jody Thornton started panicking/whining :w00t:;) about the end of support of XP 64 bit the deadline was far in the future, but now it is just a coupe of weeks away.

@Jody

In any case, should the more optimist 5eraph's take on the matter be verified, you should know that support will end (for real) on 14/07/2015, and need not to make the same amount of posts revolving around this issue ;).

It needed to be talked about, and JodyThornton just happened to be the one to carry it forward. I wouldn't necessarily call it whining. ;)

Sorry for hijacking your thread, TrevMUN. :D

Please, jaclaz, I'd rather not have my topic frozen on account of whether or not Server 2003 updates can be incorporated into XP64. JodyThornton's topic on XP64 update compatibiltiy's right next to mine on the topic list, the conversation could just be moved there ...

I'm more concerned at this point about whether or not there will be DDR4-capable motherboards/chipsets with XP64-friendly drivers come next year, or whether I should just upgrade to DDR3 right now.