Burning APE, FLAC files using ImgBurn Not Working

ZortMcGort11

Tried creating an audio CD of .ape and .flac files using both ImgBurn 2.5.8.0, and Burrrn 1.14, but both failed.

Burrrn gave a simple, unhelpful message: Failed.

ImgBurn gave this error message:

Connect Filters (source, sample grabber) failed!

File Name: song.ape

Reason: No combination of intermediate filters could be found to make the connection. Hint: You may need to install additional DirectShow filters in order to support files of this type or the file might be corrupt.

I really doubt the files are corrupted... I converted the APE files from fresh new WAV's that I ripped. Used several different converters too, just in case the files were written badly.

The ape files I converted from the wavs, they play fine in several different programs.

I went to the ImgBurn forum, but they didn't have much on this. One thread there suggests to google "ape directshow filters." Well, I did that and installed the first thing I came across*, but still no luck.

Any pros here know how to get ImgBurn to write audio CD's with either .ape or .flac files in Windows Me?

*http://www.free-codecs.com/download/RadLight_APE_DirectShow_Filter.htm

Furthermore, in case I can't get ImgBurn to work, does anyone know of a program for Windows ME that does write .ape or .flac files without any hassles? Obviously ImgBurn and Burrrn don't work :-(

Edited by LostInSpace2012

See if this fits the bill:

http://www.anyburn.com/index.htm

http://www.anyburn.com/download.htm

Download Now

Other download:
AnyBurn Portable Version: This is the fully functional portable version for AnyBurn. It doesn't require installation. Just extract and start using it, or put it on a USB drive!

File size: 1047KB MD5: 575F8AA0EFF3CC60A3BDB8F5E452DE81 Download Now

Supported operating systems:
32-bit Windows: Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 2008, Windows 7, Windows 8 / 8.1
64-bit Windows: Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 2008, Windows 7, Windows 8 / 8.1

jaclaz

Tried creating an audio CD of .ape and .flac files using both ImgBurn 2.5.8.0, and Burrrn 1.14, but both failed.

I converted the APE files from fresh new WAV's that I ripped. Used several different converters too, just in case the files were written badly.

The ape files I converted from the wavs, they play fine in several different programs.

Any pros here know how to get ImgBurn to write audio CD's with either .ape or .flac files in Windows Me?

I'm confused, or maybe just a noob when it comes to audio CD's. :)

So you had some WAV files that you converted to APE files. Then you want to burn those APE files to an audio CD, right? But when you make an audio CD, aren't those files converted back to WAV files? Aren't all audio CD's made up of WAV files, well actually CDA files, but I understand there is a sort of one-to-one conversion between the two? Yes I know that you can record an MP3 CD where the files are kept in MP3 format that can be played in an MP3 player, but when you say audio CD I tend to think of WAV format.

Cheers and Regards

@bphlpt - close... CDA "files" are "pointers" (indices/track info, if you will) to WAV files. Yes, -any- format burned to an Audio CD -must- be converted to WAV files, even MP3 files ("compressed" WAV) "burned" from the MS Media Player converts them. SOP... ;)

Whenever possible, -always' "rip" to WAV as they are the "original lossless" format used in every single (AFAIK) CD/DVD (audio) player on the market (barring those having a built-in MP3-format player). :yes:

Using obscure formats is not a good idea if there's no facility to convert to WAV/MP3 for the purpose of burning to play on a "standard CD Audio player".

HTH

Edited by submix8c

If talking of Audio CD's, what about self-burning audio CD archives?

For NO apparent reason, if not a shameless plug :w00t:, meet CASBAH:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=21123

http://reboot.pro/topic/4023-tool-casbah/

and previous ISO2SFX :

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=18845&hl=

and later selfburner:

http://reboot.pro/topic/4398-release-cd-selfburner/

Though the .cmd's will work only on 2K and later NT based OS, I am afraid, cannot say about damian666's thingy. :unsure:

jaclaz

@Jaclaz

Thanks for the Anyburn program suggestion, never heard of it before.... unfortunately it didn't detect my disc drive. But I like the user interface more than ImgBurn, and it actually starts under Windows ME , which is a surprising thing in itself. I'll keep it for use on another disc drive/computer. Thanks.

@Bphlpt

You're correct. I had some ape files that I wanted to make an audio CD with. I think normally every audio format is decoded before the burning process starts. This is why burning with .wav files seems to get done a lot quicker than mp3 because the decoding process is faster... the wavs are basically uncompressed already. MP3s and Ogg being compressed, for example, take longer to decode (not to mention sound worse).

In the end, I burned the wav files using DeepBurner. Same result (a nice sounding mix-CD without any loss of quality).

I will simply re-convert my .ape files back to .wav before burning. Seems to be the best solution. I have to use ape or flac otherwise my hard drive will get full pretty fast.

I don't want to store my music in MP3 because even the maximum bitrate of 320 still creates inferior sounding music to my ears. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Whenever possible, -always' "rip" to WAV as they are the "original lossless" format used in every single (AFAIK) CD/DVD (audio) player on the market (barring those having a built-in MP3-format player). :yes:

Using obscure formats is not a good idea if there's no facility to convert to WAV/MP3 for the purpose of burning to play on a "standard CD Audio player".

And especially when using Windows ME, because the error testing and debugging is probably approaching nil for this system. Still, I shouldn't complain too much, because ImgBurn works good in every other way I've tested.

my disc drive, from ImgBurns startup log/screen:

"12:22:07 - Drive 1 - Info: LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S KS04 (D:)"

^it's a drive I got for $5 dollars at used store.

^ email already sent, along with my drive info and OS :-)

Hopefully they'll fix it, because it seems like a nice prog. Or else they might drop Win9x support completely to avoid further headaches. LOL.

We'll see.

They probably get the drive handle the wrong way. In Win9x it should be:

CreateFile("\\.\vwin32", 0, 0, NULL, 0, FILE_FLAG_DELETE_ON_CLOSE, NULL)

while the NT family uses:

CreateFile("\\.\C:", 0, FILE_SHARE_READ, NULL, OPEN_ALWAYS, 0, NULL) // C: is the actual drive letter

There may be additional issues with DeviceIoControl() parameters though.

For an experienced programmer, this should be a walk in the park. They're either all amateurs or just afraid of the big bad wolf bullying anyone that dares to support Win9x. I'm not a programmer but I'm still building my own software on and for Win9x. Open-source.

Anyway, media file conversion is always done through external encoders/decoders/filters so if the tool doesn't come with its own, it has to find and use the system ones, if existing. AnyBurn comes with Lame encoder, libFLAC, libvorbis and MonkeyAudio, which should be usable with any other tool, provided it can handle its API.

Edited by Drugwash

*Problem Solved*

All I needed was this:

http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/oggdsf/oggcodecs_0.73.1936.exe

It's the "DirectShow Filter" for Ogg and Flac. Now, my Windows Media Player 9 can support both formats, It's pretty cool actually :-)

Once that DirectShow Filter was installed, ImgBurn now recognizes and decodes Flac files without any problem. I'm listening to a burned CD as I type this.

They're either all amateurs or just afraid of the big bad wolf bullying anyone that dares to support Win9x.

Yeah, no kidding. You'd think they could have at least explained this for Win9x users! Or at the very most, provided a link to the single file needed to fix it. Sheesh. Edited by LostInSpace2012