A couple of firefox-2 issues

Nomen

So I have Firefox 2.0.0.23pre (bon echo) and Netscape Navigator 9.0.0.6 installed on this win-98se system (and a couple other browsers, like Opera 12.02 and PaleMoon 3.6.32).

For both FF and NN, under Tools - Options - Content, the list of exceptions for "Block pop-up windows" and "load images automatically" both have an entry named "hausaufgaben" configured as "blocked". Regardless how many times I clear those lists, that entry always comes back. According to google translate, hausaufgaben is German for "homework". I've searched the registry for hausaufgaben - nothing found. Any idea what's going on with that?

Also this question: A lot of media sites have embedded videos coded as iframes. For some reason, FF and Palemoon do not render these at all, but NN does. For all of them, the setting "browser.frames.enabled" is set to True (about:config). I've disabled all add-ons in FF, but still can't get it to render the iframe content.

Lastly, will any version of Opera higher than 12.02 run on win-98se with kex?

>Regardless how many times I clear those lists, that entry always comes back.

Check your hostperm.1 file (in the profile folder with bookmarks.html). Maybe it's read-only?

>Lastly, will any version of Opera higher than 12.02 run on win-98se with kex?

Not yet. Opera 12.16 is under investigation. It might be possible to upgrade 12.02 with some of the gstreamer multimedia extensions and other support files from 12.16.

I found a couple of hostperm.1 files (one each for FF and NN) and they were not marked as read-only. I edited them in notepad and removed these lines:

========

host popup 2 hausaufgaben–referate.de
host install 2 hausaufgaben–referate.de
host image 2 hausaufgaben–referate.de

=========

When I restarted FF, the "hausaufgaben" entries were gone. Strange. Perhaps there was a parsing error when FF encounters a dash (-) in the domain name.

Any idea why FF and PM are not displaying iframe content (such as youtube video's) ?

If I go to this page using FF: http://www.quirksmode.org/iframetest.html the word "Yes" is displayed in the small text-entry "Iframe:" box. But if I visit the same page using NN, there is a large box above the small "Yes" box, containing the words "Test page in iFrame" in a large mono-spaced font.

Looking at the source code on that page, my bon-echo version of FF is not displaying or handling this element:

<iframe src="iframetest2.html"></iframe>

(sigh....) Youtube issue again?

Browse through these Topics. YouTube doesn't "play nice" with older versions of Browsers -or- Flash, of which we a limited with older Windows OS.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170873-modifyingreplacing-shell32dll-on-nt-40/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170603-flash-9-not-working-on-nt-40-consolidated-thread/

YouTube has "upgraded" beyond them. Your "flash" isn't playng them - it's interfacing with their Flash Server Software. IOW, I can't play a SWF/FLV file on my PC after downloading from a Serving Site -unless- I have a stand-alone player.

Forget YouTube In A Browser as an example. I'm even betting the Code in their Webpage for IFRAME is goobered up (e.g. no code for OLDER browsers).

HTH

edit - that "entry" you mention - you didn't supply the -full- name. It appears to be a pop-up referrer website. I just tried it in my FF and guess what? ;)

hxxp://ww38.hausaufgaben--referate.de/

On "newer" OS with "newer" FF plus Noscript/Ad-Block. I'd say there was a good reason they're there (aslo found in Spybot's HOSTS file list). Although, unsure of why the mod to the Entry didn't happen...

edit2 - full "name" translation = "homework - Abstracts"...

Edited by submix8c

(sigh....) Youtube issue again?

No, this is not a youtube issue. Here - focus on this:

-------------

If I go to this page using FF: http://www.quirksmod...iframetest.html the word "Yes" is displayed in the small text-entry "Iframe:" box. But if I visit the same page using NN, there is a large box above the small "Yes" box, containing the words "Test page in iFrame" in a large mono-spaced font.

Looking at the source code on that page, my bon-echo version of FF is not displaying or handling this element:

<iframe src="iframetest2.html"></iframe>

--------------

Any idea why FF and PM are not displaying iframe content (such as youtube video's) ?

Points of interest

1 - Running a "newer" OS

2 - With FireFox 12

3 - With NoScript

4 - With AdBlock

Going to this - http://www.quirksmode.org/iframetest.html gives me "Iframe - NO"

"Temporarily allow ALL this page" (Noscript Option) gives me "Iframe - YES"

This text is displayed in a "box" above the said messages in both cases -

Test page in iframe

Which is the text from the HTML code you indicated. http://www.quirksmode.org/iframetest2.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IFrame

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_iframe.asp

I REPEAT! It's all in the CODE of any given website/page and not something "necessarily unique" to a given Web Browser which may/may not support such a feature.

Purpose of the test is to find out whether a browser (currently) supports iframes.

You focused in on a single phrase that indicated -possibly- another are of problem. Did you even read said Topics? (A: Nope, right?)

HTH

p.s. you "jumped in" before my edit of previous was completed. ;)

edit - I assume you have looked here (instructions on that page)?

Firefox - Go to about:config -> search for “frames” -> click on browser.frames.enabled
Mine is set to "true". Edited by submix8c

Submix: I'm going to use notepad to compose a reply to your reply, since I find it easier to do this rather than struggle with the needlessly complex editor that this site uses.

submix8c said:

> Points of interest
> (...)
> Going to this - http:(...) gives me "Iframe - NO"
> "Temporarily allow ALL this page" (Noscript Option) gives me
> "Iframe - YES"

If you read what I've posted above, I turned off all add-ons, and I also get "Iframe - Yes".

> This text is displayed in a "box" above the said
> messages in both cases - Test page in iframe

And Firefox (Bon Echo) and Pale Moon ->DO NOT SHOW THAT BOX<-

> I REPEAT! It's all in the CODE of any given website/page
> and not something "necessarily unique" to a given
> Web Browser which may/may not support such a feature.

The iframe code on that page is very simple. Do we know that FF 2.0.0.23 does not support that iFrame code?

Why does Netscape Navigator version 9.0.0.6 render that iFrame box correctly? Isin't NN-9 and FF-2 based on the same part of the Mozilla "tree" ?

> Did you even read said Topics? (A: Nope, right?)

I can't follow every link you post. If you know of any relavent or key nugget of information that can be applied to this thread, then why don't you cut and paste it here?

> I assume you have looked here (instructions on that page)?
>
> Firefox - Go to about:config -> search for “frames”
> -> click on browser.frames.enabled
> Mine is set to "true".

From the very first post in this thread, I said:

"For some reason, FF and Palemoon do not render these at all, but NN does. For all of them, the setting "browser.frames.enabled" is set to True (about:config)."

And is this in any way related?

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170903-netscape-32-bit-javascript-module-which-version/

Please note that NoScript blocks JavaScript. Additionally Google

"firefox 2" iframe

clearly shows CODING in the WEBSITES is the problem. I suppose you ALSO ignored the Wiki and W3C links?

edit2 - THIS is the FireFox you refer to! (YOU could have linked) -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/131731-anybody-using-firefox-20022pre-with-98/

um...NOPE! You have v23pre - UNSUPPORTED! Try the "official" v22. Or use KEX!

??? NO SUCH v23pre that I can find! Only LAST v22pre!

!!! Found v23 here http://impact.dbmi.columbia.edu/support/downloads/

edit3 - try THIS IFRAME test site (I also see JS being NoScript blocked in them) -

http://www.draac.com/iframes.html

edit4 - Iframe references (so you'll get an inkling) re NEWER FF (even) -

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/737230

edit 4 - another fun FRAME/IFRAME test page -

http://www.globemoon.net/iframe-ex.html

edit - and looking at BOTH page codes (the originaI test page) I see in the "text" page a Script "instruction" -

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_script.asp

The <script> tag is used to define a client-side script, such as a JavaScript.

The <script> element either contains scripting statements, or it points to an external script file through the src attribute.

Common uses for JavaScript are image manipulation, form validation, and dynamic changes of content.

Edited by submix8c

I honestly don't know what points you're trying to make. I don't know why you keep mentioning javascript. I don't run noscript. I DO run yes-script. But I don't see how javascript has anything to do with iframes.

I am now running FF 2.0.0.20 (I seem to be able to type a reply in this text-editor box, don't know why it works now). It does not show the iframe box on the quirksmode page. But the same version of FF, running on my win-98se system at work, DOES show the iframe box.

> there is a large box above the small "Yes" box, containing the words "Test page in iFrame" in a large mono-spaced font.

I do see this iframe in FF2.0.0.20.

It seems something about your home system is causing the problem for 20 and 23pre. Try disabling KernelEx on them. And for Youtube, disable KernelEx on pre-10 versions of flash (I use 9r47 despite some missing movie player controls).

Edit: I was able to make the iframe disappear by setting "browser.frames.enabled" to False and restarting Firefox.

Update: It's not necessary to restart Firefox when changing the iframe setting, but a new instance of the page must be loaded in a new tab or window. Refresh and Ctrl-refresh are not enough. I was able to load the iframe test page in one tab, toggle the iframe setting, and load the page again in another tab with the result that the iframe was displayed in one tab but not the other!

Edited by jumper

The problems that my home win-98 system has are as follows. I've often wondered if they're inter-related:

1) If I use "my computer" to browse to the "c:\program files" directory, I don't get a listing of the Program Files directory. I get a listing of the c:\windows\fonts directory. The directory address shown in the Address bar is C:\Program Files. If I type in the address of a sub-directory inside c:\Program files, then I can navigate those sub-directories without issue.

2) I am unable to permenantly set the folder-view options to Detailed. Every time the system is started, the view-mode is set as large icons. If I change the mode to detailed, then set Folder-options - View - Like current folder, the system will open all file-browser windows in detail mode for the rest of that session until the computer is restarted.

3) In any version of firefox 2.0.0.2x that I install or run, when I open different sites in multiple tabs and switch between the tabs, the address bar does not change to reflect the URL of the site currently being viewed. What is shown is the first URL opened in the first tab. If I put the cursor in the address bar and hit ESC, then the address bar is changed to show the URL of the current page, and that URL will remain in the address bar even when I change to a different tab, until I again hit the ESC key. If I have multiple sites open and FF crashes, when I restart FF and it asks if I want to resume the previous session (open all the sites again) and I say Yes, FF will invoke the tabs but none of them will show a URL in the address bar, and they will all show the circulating round-arrow as if they are busy doing something. These phenomena do not happen when I bring up multiple tabs in Opera, Pale Moon 3.6.32, or Navigator 9.0.0.6.

My system.dat and user.dat file are 14,993 kb and 3,525 kb in size, and I have no policy.pol file.

I suspect there is a problem with my registry files - and I have to admit that I have pretty much never messed around with diagnosing and analysing registry files, nor do I know what the current situation is regarding the recommended way to go about measuring the health and/or optimizing the registry of a win-9x/me system using either Microsoft or third-party tools, expecially if the registry has grown to a large size.

1) If I use "my computer" to browse to the "c:\program files" directory, I don't get a listing of the Program Files directory. I get a listing of the c:\windows\fonts directory. The directory address shown in the Address bar is C:\Program Files. If I type in the address of a sub-directory inside c:\Program files, then I can navigate those sub-directories without issue.
IMHO your Directory Structure (internal pointers) is screwed up, and more than likely any number of softwares.

Maybe you have gotten a virus/trojan/whatever?

I was NOT harping on JavaScript - I was pointing out some obvious items, of which ONE was JAVA!!!!

You have a screwed up OPSYS, complaining ONE at work is "ok" and THIS one is not, when they are OBVIOUSLY in different conditions of Hardware AND Software! You screwed SOMETHING up!

You are now on your own, since you refuse to even read the links for some "hints".

This is no longer "A couple of firefox-2 issues" now is it? :no:

My recommendation - Wipe it and reload.

That is all. :hello:

> My system.dat and user.dat file are 14,993 kb and 3,525 kb in size, and I have no policy.pol file.

My System.dat is 3629KB, User.dat is 521KB; Install date: 3/26/2003. No policy.pol.

Simple and easy Registry things to do:

run Scandisk to ensure HDD is okayrun Scanregw and create a good backupwhile (errors) { fix them, reboot, run Scanregw again }run RegClean 4.1awhile (errors) { fix them and run RegClean again }exit (or reboot) to DOSrun "scanreg /fix /opt"reboot into Windowsif (registry is still too large or other problems persist) {  uninstall anything you can do without  restart these steps at the top!}

If you are still experiencing system problems after these simple steps...well, we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

My system.dat and user.dat file are 14,993 kb and 3,525 kb in size, and I have no policy.pol file.

I suspect there is a problem with my registry files - and I have to admit that I have pretty much never messed around with diagnosing and analysing registry files, nor do I know what the current situation is regarding the recommended way to go about measuring the health and/or optimizing the registry of a win-9x/me system using either Microsoft or third-party tools, expecially if the registry has grown to a large size.

As Rudy says above, that registry is large. First thing to do is back them up. I used to save them with names like System.dat_(2011-05-03_xxxx) using date and time in that format so they can co-exist in a folder and remain sorted. I also would export them and save ASCII text versions similarly named. But at least save the DATs because later on you can at least re-open them up with RegDat to reference stuff or export them.

At the size you show there of 15 MB in binary format it will export to well over 20 MB in ASCII. In my own experience I noticed odd problems somewhere around 25 MB export. Note, there is no way to perfectly correlate absolute size to actual problems because of so many other variables ( key and data complexity, RAM, disk defragmentation, CPU speed maybe ), but you certainly have reason to worry IMHO.

I was able to trim out quite a few MB through purging all the MSI installer stuff. Another method was warehousing seldom used programs ( programs that inserted massive amounts of private registry info that only it used, I offloaded to a REG which I re-inserted manually only when I intended to use the programs, and then I purged it again later with a custom deleter ). Whether you have the patience for this level of micromanagement only you can decide! :lol: