Rant: Chrome p***es me off!

No wait. I'm a bit confused. I says the project has been abandoned on the Google Store page description but it was just updated in January! The next paragraph points you too Imagus. That's the one to get I guess. Just installed it. Looks like it has more options but I liked the simplicity of the others.

Imgus.

Edited by -X-

Maybe it can be interesting about adware coming through chrome extensions at:
arstechnica.com/security/2014/01/malware-vendors-buy-chrome-extensions-to-send-adware-filled-updates
Kind regards. I41Mar

Yeah, I had read that.

Even before that big blowup, I tend to look at the source code of my extensions. Also, like I hinted at earlier, when I do my daily backups, I use sync software (Beyond Compare) and I see what files are new/changed. I don't back up my XP drive, where chrome stores extensions, but I use the same sync software to compare a snapshot from the day earlier.

Imgus definitely looks like it has a lot of options, but I agree that Hover Zoom is a lot simpler in action. I think I'll keep Imgus disabled, and maybe removed, and keep using Hover Zoom for now since I'm not having any issues with unwanted ads.

Cheers and Regards

What annoys me about chrome is googleupdate.exe , remove it from task scheduler, remove it from startup, disabled in chrome preferences, but the minute you launch chrome it adds the entries back into the system without the user authorizing it. there is a specific reason I REMOVE googleupdate.exe from windows startup and the application startup and chrome, google, doesn't reserve any right, even after initially accepting the EULA, to reinstall googleupdate.exe .........

Edited by epic

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried just blocking all traffic to or from any google related website, using the router? That seems to work for me. You can even go further and prevent caching of google content.

Try replacing googleupdate.exe with a folder of the same name.

Yeah, that may work, but the point is Google is being VERY intrusive on our workstations. Just because there is a EULA and we click accept, doesn't provide them the GODLY right to do what they want and whore our systems with useless junk as Geolocation and other privacy issues. Mobile apps are just as bad.

The U.S. senate, obviously, needs to put some s*** into law with very strict penalties.

Edited by epic