bigmuscle

And here is the problem. Although people say that they "read though all page", they mostly skip the most important points:

* You donate to support the development of this software, not to buy this software/license.

* You are not eligible to receive anything for your donation (some exception can appear for fair donations - see end of this page).

* The amount of the donation depends on how much you value this software. You valuation also means how much you will be awarded.

No offense Bigmuscle, you did great job with the software and I really appreciate this (windows 8 is so ugly without this), but please stop saying this "it's donation, not buying the software" bs. Why? Because of this stupid annoying limitations in the free version. Nag screen on every system boot (oh sorry, it's a kind notification about possibility to BUY a license which remove the notification), a watermark on the desktop - this are things that are invading the userspace too much and if you want to use the software in a normal way you are FORCED to donate - forced donation is not a donation - it's a purchase. So it's basically buying a license to unlock the full version, not free will donation. You say you are "not eligible to receive anything for your donation" but everyone which donates this 3€ and more gets a key, so it's a price tag for a license that makes the software usable. If you want to sell the software do it and stop this lies saying the software is free. It is not. It works like a shareware, but wait - even shareware has full functionality for a month for example and then it starts to nag. Your software nags from the beginning screaming at every startup "Buy a license to get rid of this annoying popup". If you want to make it real donationware get rid of all this nags, watermarks etc. Just release a free version that does the basic thing - add blur to windows frames and make all the additional things available as a reward for donating (theme atlases, text glows etc.). It would be much more fair and nobody would say it's selling the software.

i have auto change background enabled.

Even thou I have set active color and in active color, every time the background changes, the color that i set will change as well.

its not a complain, but is there a way to prevent it?

Open Personalize/Color and change Automatic setting to something else, and then set active color and in active color.

NOTES:

You may need to goto %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes and open the Custom theme with Notepad and find [VisualStyles] and change AutoColorization=1 TO AutoColorization=0 AND you may need to add your color number to ColorizationColor=

i have auto change background enabled.

Even thou I have set active color and in active color, every time the background changes, the color that i set will change as well.

its not a complain, but is there a way to prevent it?

Open Personalize/Color and change Automatic setting to something else, and then set active color and in active color.

NOTES:

You may need to goto %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes and open the Custom theme with Notepad and find [VisualStyles] and change AutoColorization=1 TO AutoColorization=0 AND you may need to add your color number to ColorizationColor=

thanks so much man!!!

the msg still pops up. but it happens so rare. i dont get it....today, beside the start up one in the morning, one more pops out in the midnight just now.

http://imgur.com/VIqhg67

my paypal address is [redacted]

please check this out.

One thing i am not sure. I have not verify my paypal address yet. Will that matter?

Edited by Tripredacus
removed email address.

This are things that are invading the userspace too much and

Do they really do? Message dialog appears only ONCE at boot and watermark is placed in right bottom corner of the desktop where it is hidden and most of the time obscured by other windows. But yes, it makes whole computer unusable :blink:(This reminds me old beta for Win8 where the popup appeared every six hours and users were complaining that their computer is unusable, because it appears every half an hour.)

iYou say you are "not eligible to receive anything for your donation"

Please do not strip it out of the context. It clearly states "(some exception can appear for fair donations - see end of this page)."

but everyone which donates this 3€ and more gets a key, so it's a price tag for a license that makes the software usable.

Nope, it's not true at all. "2 keys per each 3€" is put there just for the information what I think is fair. This information has the same value as it would be "200 keys per 300€". But if someone thinks that 3€ for 2 keys is too much then he can make me another deal. There are also users who donated less than 3€ and they got the key. On the other side, there were also users who donated 60€ and then generated 3 keys only.

stop this lies saying the software is free. It is not.

Is this software FREELY downloadable from my website? => YES, it is.

Is this software FREELY installable on any amount of your computers? => YES, it is.

Does this software FREELY works for unlimited amount of time? YES, it does.

Does this software enables Aero Glass effect for FREE? Yes, it does.

So it is FREE. The problem is that many users are too much limited to the thought that "free" means that the licensing model must 100% fit to their needs.

It works like a shareware, but wait - even shareware has full functionality for a month for example and then it starts to nag.

Yes, you are right, for example Total Commander which always shows the dialog box, you must click different buttons and you must uninstall it after 30 days. Maybe I should change it to the shareware then :whistle:

I'd like also recommend reading those definitions on the wikipedia website:

Nagware

Donationware

I don't care about some wikipedia's definitions.

the msg still pops up. but it happens so rare. i dont get it....today, beside the start up one in the morning, one more pops out in the midnight just now.

http://imgur.com/VIqhg67

my paypal address is x_cn@qq.com

please check this out.

One thing i am not sure. I have not verify my paypal address yet. Will that matter?

I already answered you in my previous post. Also be sure, you install into location with access privileges. Because there is no debug.log visible in your image, there are probably incorrect privileges set.

Be honest, I believe deep inside there is a fear that Paypal will freeze your account. That's what they do for abusing the "Donation" terms and conditions. I'm telling you, no matter how many beautiful words you will use to describe the way how your donation system works it still clasifies as Nagware in my opinion and I believe many others. Be fair, use Paypal's "Buy it" button, pay a proper tax and release a true free version. Be reasonable, try to understand user's point of view and do not let the money blind you.

Message dialog appears only ONCE at boot

It's still once too much. I boot my PC more than once per day and I would be really annoyed by this. Yes, I purchased a license (yes, purchased, not donated) to get rid of it.

and watermark is placed in right bottom corner of the desktop where it is hidden and most of the time obscured by other windows.

Maybe I like clean desktop without such thingies floating there all the time. Watermarks are good for some beta, not a final product.

But yes, it makes whole computer unusable

I didn't say that. I just think it is too intrusive.

(This reminds me old beta for Win8 where the popup appeared every six hours and users were complaining that their computer is unusable, because it appears every half an hour.)

But there is a tiny difference which in even mentioned in the quote - BETA. I wouldn't say anything about watermark in beta.

Please do not strip it out of the context. It clearly states "(some exception can appear for fair donations - see end of this page)."

So it's basically a price tag - pay 3€ - you get the full version. I do not have problem with paying for the software (especially when it's worth it, and this one definately is), but it is just silly for me to call paying for full version "donating".

Yes, you are right, for example Total Commander which always shows the dialog box, you must click different buttons and you must uninstall it after 30 days. Maybe I should change it to the shareware then

To be honest this is not so bad idea. Why? Because then it is clear - it's a paid software and you have to pay to use it. For now it is free on paper, but to get it to work without annoyances you have to "donate" anyway.

TC is one of the way to make shareware. Look at winRAR for example - it is fully functional for 30 days (the only difference is the "evaluation version" on the title bar), and it starts to nag after this period expires.

Wasn't it stated the watermark will disappear once there is a GUI? I'm fine with the popup at boot personally. The only popup I'm not fine with was the early beta one, because it stole focus which was fatal in some games. But assuming your dwm doesn't crash, you won't see that popup more than once a day - just use sleep instead of shutdown during the day.

BigMuscle, you really do not even need to respond to the ingrates who complain about the most minimal inconveniences. A single notification dialog and a watermark is worth taking the time to complain? Really? The simple, direct answer to anyone who finds the startup dialog or watermark upsetting is this:

If you don't like the way it works, don't use it.

The whiners do not understand the level of effort you are putting into this to ensure it doesn't cause problems on their systems. They just see something valuable and drop into "I want, I want, wahhhh!" Not one of them could create what you've done themselves.

In fact, you're one of the few people in the world - maybe the only one - who could have pulled it off. Trust me, your excellent work is very much appreciated by the silent majority, who may never have moved to this ridiculous Windows 8 if not for things like your Aero Glass for Win 8.

Don't let a few whiners spoil it for you. You deserve many congratulations and kudos for doing this.

-Noel

Be honest, I believe deep inside there is a fear that Paypal will freeze your account. That's what they do for abusing the "Donation" terms and conditions. I'm telling you, no matter how many beautiful words you will use to describe the way how your donation system works it still clasifies as Nagware in my opinion and I believe many others. Be fair, use Paypal's "Buy it" button, pay a proper tax and release a true free version. Be reasonable, try to understand user's point of view and do not let the money blind you.

I think there is just a language barrier or something. At least here, donation means that you give arbitrary amount of something to someone to support his work and you don't expect anything for it. It's only good will of the donee if gives you some form of "thank you". And this is the sense why I call it "donation". The fact that majority of the users donate only the stated minimum (although it is not minimum at all) is not my problem. Maybe I just should remove "2 keys per 3€" sentence from the website to be more clear but then users won't know what to expect and will complain that they didn't get anything for their 0.01€ donation.

Maybe I like clean desktop without such thingies floating there all the time.

That's it - it's not that it is intrusive. It is just that "you like".

(This reminds me old beta for Win8 where the popup appeared every six hours and users were complaining that their computer is unusable, because it appears every half an hour.)

But there is a tiny difference which in even mentioned in the quote - BETA. I wouldn't say anything about watermark in beta.

The BETA word is not important here. The sense of this sentence was that users are trying to give false reasons.

So it's basically a price tag - pay 3€ - you get the full version.

And that's wrong. There is no fixed price and there is even no minimal price (except of those virtual donations such as 0.01€). That's why I don't call it "buying".

Wasn't it stated the watermark will disappear once there is a GUI?

It is vice-versa. Popup will be removed with the GUI and all possible information will be moved there. Also I think that popup is too silent or how else could I explain that many users still ask me where to get their machine ID?

Maybe I just should remove "2 keys per 3€" sentence from the website to be more clear but then users won't know what to expect and will complain that they didn't get anything for their 0.01€ donation.

I don't think that would be a wise move. Unless you want to say goodbye to the money from people frustrated by the nag screen, who I believe make the majority of your customers.

just use sleep instead of shutdown during the day.

If you give me a way to put my desktop in sleep mode, sure.

At least here, donation means that you give arbitrary amount of something to someone to support his work and you don't expect anything for it.

And this is the problem. If it would be like you describe it it would be OK. But here you actually expect something when donating. Because donating is the only way to get the software fully working.

The BETA word is not important here. The sense of this sentence was that users are trying to give false reasons.

It is. Nobody normal complains about some beta reminders built-in, because it's beta - test software.

And that's wrong. There is no fixed price and there is even no minimal price (except of those virtual donations such as 0.01€). That's why I don't call it "buying".

So what I will get after donating 2€? Yes, nothing. So only paying over the fixed price 3€ will let you unlock the software. If someone likes to donate under the license price it's his decision.

Maybe I just should remove "2 keys per 3€" sentence from the website to be more clear but then users won't know what to expect and will complain that they didn't get anything for their 0.01€ donation.

OK, but after this go ahead and remove the popups and watermarks, because there is no set price for the full version. Edited by Yzöwl
Some post content removed!

Just release a free version that does the basic thing - add blur to windows frames and make all the additional things available as a reward for donating (theme atlases, text glows etc.). It would be much more fair and nobody would say it's selling the software.

Although this can look as a good idea, it does not solve anything. I already mentioned it during the development for Win8, so I will just repeat myself, but although I listen to user's requirement they will still complain. Just look: the first usable version for Win8 displayed a message every two hours => users complained that it was too often => I changed to 6 hours => it was too often => I changed to 12 hours => it was two often => so I changed to "only on startup" => it disturbed user's login => I added a small delay => it was disturbing, because it displayed too late => I lowered delay => users still complain that there is popup. I already asked what will happen if I remove the popup? Users will complain that free version does not download symbols automatically. And guess what? Look several pages back and users are complaining about symbols. So it is never-ending story, users will still complain unless they get full-feature version without any need to give something.

The most important question would be whether you modified your registry properly.

I tried to add it manually, but One of the settings in the registry was not located. So I was not able to install in in means of the 7z. file. I used the installer. So....