Fireshot extension for Firefox 3; print with KernelEx in Win98SE (once

diamant

A long time ago I asked here whether somebody was able to print directly from Firefox 3.* under Win98SE with KernelEx.

It seemed that nobody has/had a really satisfiying solution.

Some days ago I found an extension called "fireshot" which could(?) be a possible solution, because it seems that it has its own printing engine(?). But its printing function doesn't work: If I try to print I get an error message:

"There is no default printer currently selected."

But I have a default printer! So the problem seems to be that fireshot can not find my printer. I added some registry hacks, but with no success.

Is anybody able to print with Fireshot in Win98SE?

Furthermore I found another extension which could maybe be helpful; called "Capture & print". But this does (generally) not work with Firefox3.*. Could it be possible to edit its source code to make it compatible with Firefox3?

I'm not sure whether fireshot uses Firefox's intern printing engine. Fireshot seems to work like a graphic program, which takes a screenshot (like Alt+PrintScreen buttons pressed). Fireshot has own *.dll's: fsaddin.dll, Sss.dll, SSSLauncher.dll.

Are there other known extensions for firefox, which work similarly?

Maybe it could even be possible to create an own printing extension, but that could be very tricky...

Have you tried version 0.59?

Yes. The error message

"There is no default printer currently selected"

seems to be sent by the file sss.dll, which belongs to fireshot: post-254155-0-67259800-1390152938.png

After that I get the following:

post-254155-0-25238200-1390152969_thumb.

The printing feature comes with the pro version of Fireshot. It isn't free.

About this Add-on
FireShot Pro - Capture + Annotate Webpage Screenshot captures entirely, edits and saves your webpages.

The newest Pro version (currently 0.98.48) is available for downloading from FireShot's home: http://getfireshot.com

The Pro edition adds features such as:

* Printing
* Saving to multi-page PDF
* Capturing all tabs in one click
* Advanced Editor
* Capturing PDF files
* Crop and Resize functionality
* Undo/Redo
* Clipboard
* Uploading screen shots to custom HTTP or FTP servers
* Work with projects

But I successfully printed some pages (first only text) with Firefox 3.0.19 and Fireshot 0.76. Printing failed with FF 3.5.19, 3.6.28 and 9.01 here or isn't possible without license key.

I tried Firefox 3.0.19 with Fireshot 0.76, and still got the error

"There is no default printer currently selected".

@farfigs11

I'm not sure how to add the mentioned KernelEx stubs 452 and 822.

I modified the following line in core.ini:

contents=K452stub,Kstub822,std,kexbases,kexbasen

Furthermore I copied the files K452stub.dll, K452stub.ini, Kstub822.dll, Kstub822.ini into the KernelEx progrm folder.

Was this correctly?

Windows 9x and NT have different printing engines; this is basically why FF3 can't print in the first place. What we need is a version of Fireshot (and sss.dll) that is designed for 9x.

Fireshot 0.76 is actually the first available version that doesn't support Win9x. The version to use is Fireshot 0.69. "Disable KernelEx extentions" on sss.dll so that it prints in 9x mode.

Kstub822 and K452stub are not needed for these versions of Fireshot!