WIn8.1SE

ChrisR

ust stupid question:

Can anyone show me some differences between PE vs SE?

PE is Preinstallation Environment

So what is SE?

Tks

SE traditionally means "Second Edition", it became popular many years ago with the second release of Windows98, and in the case of Winbuilder it did exist a Win7PE which later was updated and modified becoming Win7PE_SE (project lately lead by ChrisR), when Windows 8 came out, the corresponding project to Win7PE_SE based on Windows 8 files became (still largely authored by ChrisR) Win8PE_SE.

Little by little the "SE" lost its original meaning, basically becoming the "distinctive mark" of ChrisR's Winbuilder based projects, and when 8.1 came out, the PE part was simply dropped, leading to Win8.1 SE.

Check the "history" parts on the project pages:

http://w7pese.cwcodes.net/

http://w8pese.cwcodes.net/

http://win81se.cwcodes.net/

jaclaz

Tks for your info, Jaclaz.

So SE just simply Second Edition? Just a name?

We release a new version of product and then we change name for it ?

I think from PE to SE, it must have some changes or differences, such as how it works or something like that.

2 types of constructions are possible in Win8.1SE.
- OS in RAM: to build a lightweight Win8.1 OS in RAM with the Administrator login and the full Windows 8.1 registry. This is the default option.
  Noted that the startup and the administrator logon is faster on a real computer that on Virtual Machine, in any case for me, tested with an usb2 stick.
- PE in RAM: to build a PE5 environment based on Windows 8.1 with the Sytem account
  Some features may not work as desired in PE build type due to security restrictions in Windows 8.1.

So with Win8PE means just PE. And with Win8.1SE, it like "real" OS?

What difference between OS in RAM vs PE in RAM.

Tks.

Edited by congnt92

What part of the quote below did you fail to understand?   :dubbio:

- OS in RAM: to build a lightweight Win8.1 OS in RAM with the Administrator login and the full Windows 8.1 registry. This is the default option.

Note that the startup and the administrator logon is faster on a real computer than on Virtual Machine, in any case for me, tested with an usb2 stick.

- PE in RAM: to build a PE5 environment based on Windows 8.1 with the Sytem account.

Some features may not work as desired in PE build type due to security restrictions in Windows 8.1.

What part of the quote below did you fail to understand?   :dubbio:

Note that the startup and the administrator logon is faster on a real computer than on Virtual Machine, in any case for me, tested with an usb2 stick.

- PE in RAM: to build a PE5 environment based on Windows 8.1 with the Sytem account.

OK so, If we choose to build win 8.1 with OS in RAM option so it will be name as SE and build with PE in RAM it will be name as PE?

I try to build 2 Win 8.1 with 2 options. But after load them, I cannot see what features we cannot use in PE but can be use on SE.

Can you tell me them?

And can you help me clearly understand what limited with System account vs Admin Login?

Tks.