Windows System Partition

bookie32

Hi guys :sneaky:

I haven't been around for a while....I know you har all had a rest from this old fart....had to deal with som health issues.... :thumbdown

I would like to know in laymans terms more about the little system partiton that Windows 7 automatically creates when installing a fresh install of Windows 7.

I never seem to get the time to apply myself to projects these days....partly to do with health issues!!

anyway, sorry to run on....If I create a sysprep image of a computer - so that I have a standard image for most software - what happens to the system partition?

What I mean is - I know that if I reinstate the image to a computer without the system partiton I have to run repair on first start up...

What happens if I create a system partition when reinstating the sysprepped image...does repair automatically use the system partition,,,,

If I remember correctly the system partition helps with encryption....OK tell me if I am wrong....please!

Just want to know that if the sysprepped image is applied to a computer on which I create the system partition...will it be used?

Do I need the system partition and if so in what situation should I have it?

Sorry, I still have a hard time getting my little brain around all the technical sides of Windows; so please be gentle with me.... :blushing:

bookie32

If I remember correctly the system partition helps with encryption....OK tell me if I am wrong....please!

Just want to know that if the sysprepped image is applied to a computer on which I create the system partition...will it be used?

Do I need the system partition and if so in what situation should I have it?

For encryption, its not helpful or not helpful. If you enable BitLocker, Windows puts file in the System partition if it is present. I don't know whether or not you can still use BitLocker without that partition...

As far as deployment goes, the only real usefulness for the System Reserved partition is if you are going to have multi-boot... and technically speaking having a recovery partition counts in that case. There are a few different scenarios regarding image deployment.

1. If you install Windows manually, Setup will create the System partition. You capture the OS as an image. When you set up a new computer, you must create the System Reserved partition and the OS partition, then deploy the OS and use BCDBoot to point to the Windows installation. At first boot, Windows will create the files in the System Reserved automatically.

2. As with above, on deployment if you do not create the System partition, you need to run a different command in order for Windows to boot.

3. If you install Windows using an answer file and specify only one partition is created. Then you capture that image, you can deploy it either to a single (first) partition on a disk, or using the method outlined in #1.

• 3 weeks later...