REM WORKAROUND FOR INTERNET EXPLORER 8
IF EXIST TEMP\UPDATE\*951978* IF %VERSIONIE%==IE8 (
DEL/Q/F TEMP\SP%SP%QFE\jscript.dll
DEL/Q/F TEMP\SP%SP%QFE\vbscript.dll
)

IF NOT DEFINED IE8HFX IF %VERSIONIE%==IE8 (
IF EXIST TEMP\SP%SP%QFE\html.iec (
FOR /F %%I IN ('DIR/B TEMP\SP%SP%QFE') DO IF /I NOT "%%I"=="shdocvw.dll" ( IF /I NOT "%%I"=="browseui.dll" DEL/Q/F TEMP\SP%SP%QFE\%%I )
)
)

I fixed it by adding missing quotation marks:

IF EXIST TEMP\UPDATE\*951978* IF "%VERSIONIE%"=="IE8" (
DEL/Q/F TEMP\SP%SP%QFE\jscript.dll
DEL/Q/F TEMP\SP%SP%QFE\vbscript.dll
)

IF NOT DEFINED IE8HFX IF "%VERSIONIE%"=="IE8" (
IF EXIST TEMP\SP%SP%QFE\html.iec (
FOR /F %%I IN ('DIR/B TEMP\SP%SP%QFE') DO IF /I NOT "%%I"=="shdocvw.dll" ( IF /I NOT "%%I"=="browseui.dll" DEL/Q/F TEMP\SP%SP%QFE\%%I )
)
)

Edited by Parseus

Parseus, thanks for your report. I think you did not have any Internet Explorer updates in your HF folder so %VERSIONIE% was not defined. Adding quotes is a nice trick to let you compare even if variables are not set.

Parseus, thanks for your report. I think you did not have any Internet Explorer updates in your HF folder so %VERSIONIE% was not defined. Adding quotes is a nice trick to let you compare even if variables are not set.

You are right, I don't have any IE updates (except for a cumulative IE6 for shdocvw.dll and browseui.dll). I'm using OnePiece's addons to integrate IE8, WMP11 and a few other things.

You are right, I don't have any IE updates (except for a cumulative IE6 for shdocvw.dll and browseui.dll). I'm using OnePiece's addons to integrate IE8, WMP11 and a few other things.

A new feature of HFSLIP beta K is that it allows you to use HFSLIP after integrating OnePiece Internet Explorer 8. I don't understand why HFSLIP does not replace the Internet Explorer 6 files when slipstreaming Internet Explorer 8.

HFSLIP uses the last modified date to copy files. This works fine most of the time as you would expect files with a higher version number have more recent date information.

Have you specific files that needs to get replaced with an older version?

Edited by Acheron

Have you specific files that needs to get replaced with an older version?

Well, I don't have such files. I just thought it could be used to be 100% sure that HFSLIP uses the correct file version. Besides, if I had files with older file version to be used, I would probably put them in a REPLACE\I386 folder.

Edited by Parseus

I think tomasz86 has a lot of experience in identifying file versions and deciding which one to use in cases like this. I would check with him for his suggestions on the best tool and methodology.

Cheers and Regards

.... I don't understand why HFSLIP does not replace the Internet Explorer 6 files when slipstreaming Internet Explorer 8.

The reason is because during a vanilla installation, the xp setup routines run a regsvr command on the various IE dll's and other binaries. This is all fine and good with IE6. For some reason, MSFT decided that you cannot run a regsvr32 on IE7/IE8 binaries. This is why the script is set up the way it is.

The xcopy command used in the script was set in place because the intent for hfslip was to use existing tools that are part of the OS, or in other words a lightweight utility that doesn't need a mess of other stuff for it work.

If you're modifying the script, please do not remove support for the HF\WMP folder. I use this folder to slipstream newer WMP codecs but not WMP itself.

Good luck.

So, you get some errors in the setuperr.log? That's because syssetup.inf is signed. These errors are harmless as it is the same as trying to register a dll with no registry information. I would like it if you had made it an option for users to replace all IE6 files.

About your question of supporting integrating Windows Media Player codecs I have only changed the extraction path to fix the integration code of Windows Media Player 11.

Are you still working on HFSLIP?

If I remember right (it was a long time ago) some (or most) IE6 filenames were registerable (is that a word?) but the IE8 ones with the same filename were not. So if you just swapped the IE8 for the IE6, things never worked right. I don't recall if there was a setup error message or if IE just didn't work right. The only way Tomcat and I figured it was to replace the files after installation and make the necessary registry changes. That was the reason that portion of the script was made out and it worked pretty well for the past number of years. I suppose you could run a science project to see for yourself. XP was good in its day. Win7 is pretty bulletproof though.

I only use hfslip to rebuild one xp box I have. I still visit here on occasion and still get a kick out of reading the windows update thread when the same information is on microsoft's site. I've created a new slip for win7 that does the same thing as hfslip, but has better features. It has an automatic hotfix downloader, it slipstreams, it reduces, it slips drivers, applies inf & reg tweaks, etc. It even reduces the "live" winsxs folder to reduce your OS footprint. I saved myself nearly a gig of diskspace after running that part of the new slip. All in all, it's still a big ole batch file but won't release it because of the same reason why I stopped supporting hfslip. I have only shared it with 3 other people that I've met on this forum.

I think tomasz86 has a lot of experience in identifying file versions and deciding which one to use in cases like this. I would check with him for his suggestions on the best tool and methodology.

There are some cases where files have newer version even though their time stamp is older. I can think of at least several Windows 2000 updates which are like that.

It should be relatively easy to use "filever.exe" to compare file versions of those files instead of using "xcopy/d". I've got no time to look at it at the moment but can try to do something about it in the future.

I still visit here on occasion and still get a kick out of reading the windows update thread when the same information is on microsoft's site.

It's always good to be able to get the information from several sources than relying on just one. I myself would specifically not consider the M$ website a reliable source since they tend to change their websites quite often and I won't be surprised if all info related to 2K / XP / 2003 is completely removed after the official support ends in 2015. This already happened to stuff related to Windows 9x and NT 4.0.

If I remember right (it was a long time ago) some (or most) IE6 filenames were registerable (is that a word?) but the IE8 ones with the same filename were not. So if you just swapped the IE8 for the IE6, things never worked right. I don't recall if there was a setup error message or if IE just didn't work right. The only way Tomcat and I figured it was to replace the files after installation and make the necessary registry changes. That was the reason that portion of the script was made out and it worked pretty well for the past number of years. I suppose you could run a science project to see for yourself. XP was good in its day. Win7 is pretty bulletproof though.

I only use hfslip to rebuild one xp box I have. I still visit here on occasion and still get a kick out of reading the windows update thread when the same information is on microsoft's site. I've created a new slip for win7 that does the same thing as hfslip, but has better features. It has an automatic hotfix downloader, it slipstreams, it reduces, it slips drivers, applies inf & reg tweaks, etc. It even reduces the "live" winsxs folder to reduce your OS footprint. I saved myself nearly a gig of diskspace after running that part of the new slip. All in all, it's still a big ole batch file but won't release it because of the same reason why I stopped supporting hfslip. I have only shared it with 3 other people that I've met on this forum.

Yes, I had no problems with Internet Explorer 8 when slipstreamed using HFSLIP. However trying to reduce the footprint of my Windows XP setup I switched to a true IE8 Addon.

Why I think you stopped developing HFSLIP is not because of user complains, but simply lack of interest. I don't need HFSLIP to integrate drivers, infs or registry tweaks. Just slipstreaming windows updates is enough for me.

I don't need HFSLIP to integrate drivers, infs or registry tweaks. Just slipstreaming windows updates is enough for me.

And that's why there are different tools for different people.

Cheers and Regards

I've created a new slip for win7 that does the same thing as hfslip, but has better features. It has an automatic hotfix downloader, it slipstreams, it reduces, it slips drivers, applies inf & reg tweaks, etc. It even reduces the "live" winsxs folder to reduce your OS footprint. I saved myself nearly a gig of diskspace after running that part of the new slip. All in all, it's still a big ole batch file but won't release it because of the same reason why I stopped supporting hfslip. I have only shared it with 3 other people that I've met on this forum.

No lie. tommyp has been up to his old tricks. He's a wizard!