MSI files in kernelex?

asdfg

Hi,i'm trying to install virtual box 1.5.0, which has a msi installer. The program say it requires windows 2000. the compatibilty tab wasn't there, so i used xp.reg. that didn't work.

Kernelex 4.5.2

i used an old version because the newer ones complain about ntdll.dll

help would be appreciated

Hi,i'm trying to install virtual box 1.5.0, which has a msi installer. The program say it requires windows 2000. the compatibilty tab wasn't there, so i used xp.reg. that didn't work.

Kernelex 4.5.2

i used an old version because the newer ones complain about ntdll.dll

help would be appreciated

xp.reg won't work. You could edit the MSI with Orca and go to the LaunchCondition Section and remove the line that says something similar to NotVersionNT4orWin9x in it then save it. That is similar to changing the compatibility mode in KernelEx. Doing so will ignore the Windows 2000 error but I have tried installing VBox 1.5.0 that way as well because I was curious and it doesn't work because it says a fatal error has occurred during installation. So please don't try it because Win9x doesn't have the necessary resources, even with KernelEx. It would require a major modification to a core component of the operating system(s) and even if this was fixed, programs that were designed specifically to run on Win98/ME probably wouldn't continue to run as they should. If you really want to work with Virtual Machines with Windows 98/ME as host, go with Connectix Virtual PC 5.1, which is the last version supported on Win98/ME. It can run up to Windows XP and a few other OSes that aren't Windows and doesn't require KernelEx. You could probably find it on Vetusware or Google.

Edited by coolman

Cool but is there anything free? i can only find a 45 day trial on microsoft.com and it says i need validation.

There are many abandonware sites that have it. The 45 day trial on Microsoft.com is VPC 5.2, which isn't supported on Win98/ME. Just do a Google search like this:

Virtual PC 5.1 Download

If you do find it, you'll need a serial number.

There isn't anything free that I know of that is easy to work with. Dosbox you really have to work with for a while. Qemu/Bochs aren't very user friendly and are hard to use.

Edited by coolman