Skype 6.1 on Windows 2000

ppgrainbow

I use 5.2 on XP SP3, and it remains working OK. So the problem is just another MS device to force people to upgrade.

I wonder whether there may be a way to by-pass it or not...

I'm actually 100% sure that there is a way.

Why? This is a modified version of Skype for Android. You are unable to use the official Skype 2.x any more because it won't allow you to log in (same thing as with Skype 4.2 for Windows described above). However, with the modified versions you can log in and make calls even with the oldest one (v2.0.0.47) which means that the limitation is purely artificial.

There was a way to bypass the MSN Messenger upgrade requirement by going into the actual exe file and changing the version number to something later than the particular file in question was. So for example, setting it from 11 to 13, the servers saw it as a newer version than it really was and it continued to work. So perhaps something like this here would work too? I think it was when MS required people to upgrade to the new MSN Live Messenger or whatever it was called. So maybe that could be a workaround???

This is indeed interesting.

I've just checked two versions of Skype:

• Skype 3.5.0.239
  • Skype 3.8.0.188
None of them work ("can't connect"). Is your Skype installation in Windows 98 new, or have you been using it for some time? I have a strange feeling that it may not work again if you reinstall and try to log in from scratch.

This is indeed interesting.

I've just checked two versions of Skype:

• Skype 3.5.0.239
  • Skype 3.8.0.188
None of them work ("can't connect"). Is your Skype installation in Windows 98 new, or have you been using it for some time? I have a strange feeling that it may not work again if you reinstall and try to log in from scratch.

My installation is only about a month old, so it's not been that long. I could try it out on my Windows 98 laptop and see what happens with Skype. This whole deal is ridiculous because it's just a ploy to get everyone to upgrade. So many times companies that retire older software says that the newer stuff gives you 'a better experience'. I seldom see that as the truth, more times than not it's just a way to get people to buy new stuff.

I believe from what I've been reading that MS has killed skype completely (Not just of phones)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2463260/win-phone-7-users-aghast-microsoft-axed-skype-for-their-phones.html

As far as I understand, it's only about dropping support for Windows Phone 7. I'm also curious whether they will also block Skype on Android 2.2 Froyo. Just a few weeks ago I installed Skype on my old Android 2.2 phone and it worked. It wasn't the newest version but the Google Play Store automatically downloaded Skype v3.2.x which still worked then. Now they state that they only support Android 2.3 and above.

All of this is ridiculous nevertheless, since (as said before) the old versions of the XDA Skype mod still work fine.

My installation is only about a month old, so it's not been that long. I could try it out on my Windows 98 laptop and see what happens with Skype. This whole deal is ridiculous because it's just a ploy to get everyone to upgrade. So many times companies that retire older software says that the newer stuff gives you 'a better experience'. I seldom see that as the truth, more times than not it's just a way to get people to buy new stuff.

I especially hate when you're forced to automatically upgrade without a choice. Dropbox is probably the best example. I still use it as I couldn't find any decent alternative, but don't like this "feature" at all. Google Chrome also automatically updates but at least there are simple ways to block it.

Now I'm being plagued with can't connect errors. This is total BS. Not even 5.5 or even the newer one tomasz86 created 6.3.25??? All it says is can't connect. Now my 3.5 version won't work even though it did last night when my laptop version took a crap. We need to explore ways to make something work out.

Hi.

How to connect native Windows 2000 to skype.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1871701.html

1. use Trillian and patched skypekit.exe

2. patched 5.5 or 5.9 (need Extendede kernel and XP USB compatible patch)

3. patched 3.7 or 4.2

Now I'm being plagued with can't connect errors. This is total BS. Not even 5.5 or even the newer one tomasz86 created 6.3.25??? All it says is can't connect. Now my 3.5 version won't work even though it did last night when my laptop version took a crap. We need to explore ways to make something work out.

• 1 month later...

Older versions are artificially blocked by version check. You can patch the version number reported and get things to work.

------

When autologin is enabled Skype stores a certificate in the profile folder which is used for logon, and it lasts 30 days.

To get one month of login ability you would want to install latest version that can log in (6.15 I think, I never determined the point where restriction is set), log in with autologon enabled and then install older version on top.

The older version can logon now until cert runs out or you log out yourself.

I have been using this on XP though, so I can run 6.0 which actually works, the latest ones have memory leaks and very occasional freezing making their use near impossible...

Lot of cool info ~~~~

http://skype-open-source.blogspot.com.au/

• 6 months later...

I try to get skype 6.0.59.126 working with bwc exkernel on w2k. It seems to work, but I cannot log in: "Skype can´t connect". With connection options, Port 56451 is used for incoming connections, also port 80 and 443, and proxy detection is set to automatic (I set like in WinXP). Unfortunally, the blog http://skype-open-source.blogspot.com.auis closed. Does skype 6.0. need a (registry) trick to fake a newer version? How can I do this?

Edited by JosefReisinger

I try to get skype 6.0.59.126 working with bwc exkernel on w2k. It seems to work, but I cannot log in: "Skype can´t connect". With connection options, Port 56451 is used for incoming connections, also port 80 and 443, and proxy detection is set to automatic (I set like in WinXP). Unfortunally, the blog http://skype-open-source.blogspot.com.auis closed. Does skype 6.0. need a (registry) trick to fake a newer version? How can I do this?

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1870821.html

How about Skype5.5 ?