XPSF2 slipstreamed with SP3 is greater than 700M

chl2012

nLite was run with each XPSP2 and SP3 CDs and kept getting total ISO size was > 800MB. Tried many options, but unable to reduce these two codes together without any ADDONS etc. If this is correct, what value is there in nLite to produce an ISO file that will fit on a 700 MB CD?

Will be interested in others findings. Thanks.

No, this is not correct.

Also, when using nLite it is normally required to attach the Last Session.ini file, which you can find in C:\Program Files\nLite\Presets or in the root of your nLited XP folder.

I suspect you may have used the Desktop as a working folder, so other things could have been added along with what was necessary.

Let's start from there.

Cheers

No, this is not correct.

Also, when using nLite it is normally required to attach the Last Session.ini file, which you can find in C:\Program Files\nLite\Presets or in the root of your nLited XP folder.

I suspect you may have used the Desktop as a working folder, so other things could have been added along with what was necessary.

Let's start from there.

Cheers

A few corrections to your comments:

1. I am, aware of the Last Sessions. I deleted them in the nLite input screen. I also deleted them in the nLite file in Program Files.

2. I cannot say whether other junk was added or not./ I made runs with ONLY WinXPSP2 (my normal XP CD) and SP3 each, alone. The nLite results for the separate XPSP2 and SP3, produced ISO files of 500MB EACH.

3. Further to point No. 1. I deleted everything for nLite .. ADD REMOVE, all files in Program Files ... where as you note the Last Sessions were listed. ThenI downloaded a new copy of nLite just for clarity. The results I as discussing here is for the clean downloaded of nLite. BTW, I checked to see that Last Sessions were always deleted if they tried to appear.

Maybe there is a simple answer to my query, but yours is not it.

BTW-2: I did separate ISO files for the XPSP2 and SP3 alone with another ISO maker. But I haven't checked the results for publication. I will do that tomorrow, hopefully.

From the faq I posted:

XP Gold.iso size = 492 megs
XP SP1a.iso size = 507 megs
XP SP2.iso size = 582 megs
XP SP3.iso size = 593 megs
XP Gold + SP2.iso size = 576 megs
XP Gold + SP3.iso size = 587 megs
XP SP1a + SP2.iso size = 594 megs
XP SP1a + SP2 + SP3.iso size = 624 megs

You quite clearly are having an issue.

The only way to solve this correctly is by doing this:

Get a unmodified, non OEM crap filled ISO of XP.

Go get the http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24 SP3 that is 316 megs.

Manually copy the XP to the root of your home drive in its own folder call it something simple like XP_OLD (NO spaces)

put the sp3 BESIDE the folder at the root.

Run nLite ONLY for slipping SP3! After that if it tests ok burn a couple of copies for your new source..

IF it doesn't work post back with the exact method used and the session file.... (Otherwise we cannot help you)

Just got your excellent reply. I will follow your suggestion tomorrow and let you know what I find.

Frankly I thought others had used nLite to slipstream XP, SP2, SP3, ADDONS, Drivers , etc, etc. I must have been dreaming.

Thanks again. Till tomorrow.

EDIT: What he said ^^

Frankly I thought others had used nLite to slipstream XP, SP2, SP3, ADDONS, Drivers , etc, etc. I must have been dreaming.

They do but he's asking to take it one step at a time so we can pinpoint the problem. BTW, you don't need to slipstream SP2 as you are slipstreaming SP3. Only the latest service pack is needed.

Edited by -X-

From the faq I posted:

Go get the http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24 SP3 that is 316 megs.

Manually copy the XP to the root of your home drive in its own folder call it something simple like XP_OLD (NO spaces)

Run nLite ONLY for slipping SP3! After that if it tests ok burn a couple of copies for your new source..

IF it doesn't work post back with the exact method used and the session file.... (Otherwise we cannot help you)

From the faq I posted:

I TRIED TO FOLLOW YOUR SUGGESTIONS, BUT WAS UNABLE TO DO MUCH.

1. I MADE AN ISO OF XP (MY ORIGINAL COPY WITHOUT ANY SPs. IT IS AN OEM UPGRADE COPY 2002. THE XP ONLY INPUT TO THE ISO WAS 484MB.

2. DOWNLOADED THE SP3 FILE WHICH YOU SUGGESTED (AND I HAD DONE SO PREVIOUSLY AS WELL .. BUT DOWNLOADED AGAIN. AS YOU NOTE, THE SIZE OF THE SP3 FILE IS 332MB.

3. MADE AS ISO OF THE XP ONLY (NOTED ABOVE) AND THE ISO SIZE IS 516 MB.

4. TRIED TO FOLLOW YOUR SUGGESTION ABOUT PUTTING THE XP ISO FILE ON C:\ NOTE: NEVER TRIED BEFORE TO INPUT AN ISO FILE INTO NLITE FOR THE STARTING WINDOWS INSTALLATION.

5. TRIED TO START NLITE , BUT IT CHOKED ON THE ISO INPUT AND NEVER GOT STARTED.

6. I HAVE YET TO TRY TO USE THE XP ONLY ORIGINAL INSTALLATION DISK WITH THE SP3, BUT I KNOW THE SIZE WILL BE IN THE 800 MB+/- RANGE.

7. YOU SAID IF I WAS NO ABLE TO SLIPSTREAM XP AND SP3, YOU COULD NOT HELP ME FURTHER.

8. WELL, NOT ONLY WAS I NOT ABLE BUT UNLESSS THERE IS SOMETHING BIG I AM DOUBTFUL ANYONE CAN ... UNLESS THEY REMOVE BIG CHUNKS OF BOTH CODES, AND IF ONE CAN ONLY SLIPSTREAM THE TWO CODES WITHOUT SPACE FOR UPDATES, ETC. WHAT GOOD IS IT??

NOTE:: I AM WRITING THIS IN ALL CAPS SO I CAN READ IT EASIER. I FIND THE FONTS TOO SMALL FOR ME TO READ. SORRY IF IT BOTHERS YOU.

FINAL NOTE: I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS AND ASSISTANCE,

THANKS AGAIN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE WHAT THESE FORUMS NEED.

GOOD LUCK