noise from speakers

colore

hello!

there is a constant noise from my speakers that is only audible when i have them switched on

the noise increases when i increase the volume (which i dont have music or something playing) and in very low volume it is not audible

also, the noise is not heard (probably either covered or maybe disappeared) when music or something is heard from the speakers

I dont know if it is an OS problem, a driver problem, a hardware problem or else

but i can say it happened with winxp_x64 and with win7_x64

my hardware is:

Logitech LS11

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H (rev. 1.0)

my os is win7_x64

the audio driver is:

Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip (Including Microsoft UAA/HDMI Driver in English edition)

i also would like to note that i have a 5m expansion 3.5mm cable going out of my pc tower, which connects with my speakers' cable

any idea?

thanks!

Its almost always caused by poor connections. Connectors and cables that are not shielded properly (more prevalent in cheaper products) will pick up interference and this shows up as noise from the speakers. First I would try connecting the speakers directly into the sound card, without using the extension cable, and see if it is any better.

>...and in very low volume it is not audible...

Where are you setting the volume: in the application, in the OS mixer, or at the speaker?

If you prefer to use the speaker knob as your master volume control, set all volume levels in apps and the audio mixer to as high as possible. Only lower individual source levels in the mixer as needed to balance the sources. Back off the master mixer level only if the audio sounds distorted during loud passages with a low speaker volume setting.

Standard troubleshooting:

1. try unpowered speakers connected directly to the speaker jack.
  2. try different powered speakers connected directly to the lineout jack.
  3. try the LS11 speakers (without extension cable) on a different system or device.
  4. test the extension cable with other speakers and on other systems and devices.
  5. Report back with results of above four tests!

Edited by jumper