Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

I heard the Start Button will only bring up Metro/Start Screen, not the classic Start Menu, which is a fail move from Microsoft. Why are they so hesitant and stubborn about this, according to them "nobody uses the Start Menu"... epic fail there Microsoft.

I too would like to know if StartIsBack will continue support Windows 8.1. To me 8.1's reintroduction of Start button is just changing the button left hot corner to a physical button on the taskbar and nothing more. What I need is the Start menu!

I heard the Start Button will only bring up Metro/Start Screen, not the classic Start Menu, which is a fail move from Microsoft. Why are they so hesitant and stubborn about this, according to them "nobody uses the Start Menu"... epic fail there Microsoft.

I too would like to know if StartIsBack will continue support Windows 8.1. To me 8.1's reintroduction of Start button is just changing the button left hot corner to a physical button on the taskbar and nothing more. What I need is the Start menu!

The author has already replied to this topic. Nothing will be done/said or looked at until a REAL supported preview has been released to the general public.

Just sit tight.

The author has already replied to this topic. Nothing will be done/said or looked at until a REAL supported preview has been released to the general public.

Just sit tight.

Yep, there's no sense for Tihiy to do all sorts of work to support the leaks "available" now, when Microsoft will probably change countless things before release which might effect SiB's behavior. It would be like a three legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen lake.

Hello to all, hopefully i wont bother you to much with my question, i have been looking for a solution for converting W8, it seems SIB may be the best , but i have also been recommended to use classicshell(.net) and i wonder what the difference is between it and SIB?

Also, how easily doe SIB uninstall ?

In reading through most of this thread i noticed that it was suggested that individuals download and install the latest version, i am wondering if there is a way to integrate and auto-update of sorts into the functionality. that said, how often are new versions released?

Thank you !

Not to dissuade your decision to use SiB, but did you know that you can install them both at the same time and therefore use the best parts of each at the same time? SiB is great and I highly recommend it, but Classic Shell also has a lot going for it as well, and having them both just gives you that many more options to make your OS exactly like you want it. And has already been stated, they both uninstall cleanly, and since Classic Shell is free it won't cost you anything but your time to install them both, separately or together and see what works best for you.

Cheers and Regards

OT: Sorry I've been so vacant from these forums lately, but my fiance and I moved in together a couple months ago and we've both started new jobs. We're also getting married at the end of November so that planning saps some time too, but it's good to be busy and life is good if you know what I mean! :)

Many congrats indeed my friend!

Cheers and Regards

• 2 weeks later...

I cant confirm what 8.1 will do just yet, but i agree, i will still be using "start is back" if MS havent changed their stripes..

I just installed Start Is Back 2.1 and need a little help figuring out how to change the start button orb. :blushing:

I downloaded the ones that are linked on the SIB 2.1 download page, and exported them, but I don't know what to do from there, since they don't seem to automatically appear in the StartIsBack configuration menu.

Obviously, I am not computer savvy, so any help would be appreciated. I did attempt a search, but didn't come up with what I needed. If it is already explained in detail somewhere, a link would be great.

Thanks so much. :)

OT: Sorry I've been so vacant from these forums lately, but my fiance and I moved in together a couple months ago and we've both started new jobs. We're also getting married at the end of November so that planning saps some time too, but it's good to be busy and life is good if you know what I mean! :)

Many congrats indeed my friend!

Cheers and Regards

Thank you very much!!! :D

I just installed Start Is Back 2.1 and need a little help figuring out how to change the start button orb. :blushing:

I downloaded the ones that are linked on the SIB 2.1 download page, and exported them, but I don't know what to do from there, since they don't seem to automatically appear in the StartIsBack configuration menu.

Obviously, I am not computer savvy, so any help would be appreciated. I did attempt a search, but didn't come up with what I needed. If it is already explained in detail somewhere, a link would be great.

Thanks so much. :)

Hi! Hope you will like SiB. This is from memory as I'm at work (using a desktop server running Server 2003 R2) right now. Right-click the start button in your task bar and choose Properties, then there should be a section of the SiB configuration having to do with visuals or themes or some such. Use the dialog to load the orb from a custom picture file that you downloaded. Then make sure that orb is selected, hit Okay and that should be that.

Forgive me for any vagueness or just plain slightly wrong. :) As I said, I'm at work.

StartIsBack should support Windows 8.1.

You can check out the prototype of the redone Start Menu, which i was working on hard the past few weeks.

It's not for Windows 8.1 though. It's for Windows 7. Oh the irony...

StartIsBack should support Windows 8.1.

You can check out the prototype of the redone Start Menu, which i was working on hard the past few weeks.

It's not for Windows 8.1 though. It's for Windows 7. Oh the irony...

Whoa! That's awesome! Outstanding work!

User pic will be one of the hardest. If you wind up implementing your own way of adding the pic then it'll break all sorts of network/domain stuff.

Whoa! That's awesome! Outstanding work!

User pic will be one of the hardest. If you wind up implementing your own way of adding the pic then it'll break all sorts of network/domain stuff.

Good thing you reminded, because i did it not the way Windows 7 does. Please test the prototype on Windows 8 with customized network userpic.