Trace why Windows 8 boots, shutsdown or hibernates slowly

MagicAndre1981

I've seen much worse. This is the first trace I've been able to obtain from a system like this, but on another system there was a 20-30 minute delay (if not longer) during the same boot phase.

This delay occurs only after a switch to VHD or WIM booting on the PC in question, i.e. it does not normally occur when the system is booting without any bells or whistles.

Does any of this ring a bell? Is there any hope to further troubleshoot the issue? Might this mean the boot loader is somehow getting corrupt?

Would there be a way to replace the boot loader in question, assuming it gets replaced with an out of date version by the disk imagers?

try to capture a trace with this command:

xbootmgr -trace boot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER+LATENCY+DISK_IO_INIT+DISPATCHER+FILE_IO+FILENAME -stackwalk profile+CSwitch+ReadyThread+DiskReadInit+DiskWriteInit -resultPath C:\TEMP

zip the trace, upload it and send me the link.

• 3 weeks later...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1jWVkSA3s1mRkswR3RMX2xzZDQ/view?usp=sharing

Awhile ago I ran into some issues with using patched files to apply custom themes, which resulted in a black flashing screen at boot... which led to me refreshing windows 8.1. But now my boot and shutdown times are much much slower than before so I thought you could help. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I performed the boot capture of my Windows 8.1 PC using the instructions at the start of this thread.  The PreSMSS to WinlogonInit timing I get is this:

<interval name="PreSMSS" startTime="0" endTime="9372" duration="9372"><interval name="SMSSInit" startTime="9372" endTime="20936" duration="11564"><interval name="WinlogonInit" startTime="20936" endTime="30527" duration="9591">

In looking at the <pnp> nodes, I can see that the bulk of the PreSMSS phase is spent in the SATA/SAS device initialization.  Perhaps time spent longer than I would like but at least I understand where the time is spent.

That then takes me to the SMSSInit phase.  I open up my ETL file in the Windows Performance Analyzer.  I open System Activity->Boot Phases like you see here:

tH8frJ.png

I want to understand what the Session Init phase is doing for the 11.5+ seconds but I can't figure out why.  I highlighted the "Session Init" phase so I could see what overlapped with it.  Here is what I tried:

1. Dragged "Processes" to be just below the "Boot Phases" diagram.  The only this showed me was that "smss.exe" overlapped almost the entire period and the start of csrss.exe started toward the very end of the "Session Init" phase.  I could not find a way to dig deeper to find out what was happening.  The "Threads" and "Images" options show the same thing.
  2. Dragged "Device I/O" onto the timeline.  The one driver that showed almost continual access was storport.sys so my SSD was continually being accessed during this phase but by whom?
  3. Dragged "Services" onto the timeline.  All "Services" show activity *after* the Session Init phase.
  4. Dragged"Generic Events" onto the timeline.  This shows several providers that overlap but nothing continually.  Closest one is diskIo which has regular activity.

What should I look for to find out what is occurring during this phase?  Same as Winlogon Init, I see various processes start during this phase (e.g. wininit.exe, csrss.exe, services.exe, lsass.exe, winlogon.exe, etc.) but I'm not sure what to look for, for anything taking longer than expected.  The graph shown to start this thread (the Boot_WinLogonInitPhase.png) does not appear for me in the Windows Performance Analyzer.  I can't seem to find the location where services are initiated.

If someone could provide a pointer on what I should look for, I would appreciate it.  Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

I use this method 

xbootmgr -trace hibernate -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP

Then it appear

Microsoft® Windows® Performance Analyzer 
Couldn't start tracing session to 'C: \TEMP hibernate_BASE+ cswircH+ DRIVERS+ POWER_l_km_premer ge.etl' (0x000000b7). Unable to start trace. 

Sorry, I don't understand. :no: Can teach me what to do next?

Im facing hibernation problem. When I press hibernate, the screen become black and my laptop can't hibernate at all. I wait a whole day also didn't off my laptop. 

Pls help me.. I don't know what happen to my laptop.. 

Thx! 

Sorry, I don't understand. :no: Can teach me what to do next?

Im facing hibernation problem. When I press hibernate, the screen become black and my laptop can't hibernate at all. I wait a whole day also didn't off my laptop. 

Pls help me.. I don't know what happen to my laptop.. 

Thx! 

Yumako14-san

Do a full reboot and then try to run Hibernate trace again. A program could be open in the background and is trying to read the files before xperf can write them.

MagicAndre1981: I think that is what you were trying to say?