Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

Thanks for the reply, that did the trick, I have successfully installed UURollup - 10d. It also installed the comatibility mode also, It did not seem to install with USP5.1 or UURollup 1 or UURolup 2, Thanks again for what you and the others are doing. I'm now game to update .net (Have .net 1.1 and .net 2 sp1 installed, should I remove before installing your 1-4 .net?, Also does yours have an installer or will I need to slipstream (something new for me to learn) or do it all manually? If with slip stream or manual, is there a good set of instructions/steps posted anywhere? Thank again

kishra, I am pretty sure you are talking to tomasz86, but I can tell you that maybe if you uninstall Uurollup,then install update Rollup 1 (official), then install Update Rollup 2 (Unofficial, then get the latest daily UURollup v11d [2014-01-03]. This will allow more stuff to install on Windows 2000, As for the .NET frameworks, I want to know if I can put on .NET Framework 1-4 on win2k, and how I do it.

Thanks for the reply, that did the trick, I have successfully installed UURollup - 10d. It also installed the comatibility mode also, It did not seem to install with USP5.1 or UURollup 1 or UURolup 2, Thanks again for what you and the others are doing. I'm now game to update .net (Have .net 1.1 and .net 2 sp1 installed, should I remove before installing your 1-4 .net?, Also does yours have an installer or will I need to slipstream (something new for me to learn) or do it all manually? If with slip stream or manual, is there a good set of instructions/steps posted anywhere? Thank again

May I ask why you're using such an old UURollup? Is it for the compatibility? A lot of the latest v11 daily UURollups are quite stable and don't seem to cause problems. Using the latest v11 rollups have a lot more kernel extensions built into them which in hand lets you install a lot more of the latest software. Of course with a machine as old as yours might not run much outside of the stuff designed around that era.

If you ever manage to get a system from the 2007 era, they run Windows 2000 very nice and with UURollup v11 installed, it's actually a beast and beats Windows 7 out of the park. Just a little food for thought there. :)

Do not have anything newer than my old dell dimension xps that is running xp pro currently, which I will be replacing within the next few months, how ever it is used to program a cash register for my wife friend, which the cd that load the program was lost (the friend did not know what she tossed out) also the unit has financial and other family legal software (elderly will etc type on it.) So I will move it over to a new system that will be much bigger to run windows 8, I don't want to hear it, plus linux variants in a virtual platform. I brought this in 2001, so I got a lot of life and use out of it.

I also have the laptop which is capable of talking to an Fargo Cheetah II ID card printer, (old parallel port, plus the driver is 98 and nt based) so that is why I updating with patches to run ID software package that keeps bugging about .net 4 in order to run the program. The printer still works and who knows, maybe I can make some IDs for some of the small business around here.

@kishra Let me clear some things. I suppose that by UURollup 1 and UURollup 2 you mean Update Rollup 1 and Update Rollup 2. The first one is the official rollup released by MS, and the second one is the unofficial rollup of official updates and hotfixes that were released after Update Rollup 1.

UURollup (Unofficial Updates Rollup) consists only of either unofficial files or official MS files ported from other Windows systems such as XP or even Windows 8.

Development of UURollup-v10* has been put on hold and there are no plans to release any new versions. The current one is considered stable although there do exist a few known minor bugs. The real problem with UURollup-v10* is that it's rather old which means that a lot of newer software won't work despite having it installed.

UURollup-v11* is currently in developmental stage. There's no stable version available so you need to choose between weekly or daily releases. I haven't been able to thoroughly test the most current releases, thus only the daily line is being constantly updated, while the weekly one is almost 10 months old now. For this reason you should be careful when using UURollup-v11, especially if system stability is your priority. I don't want to discourage you or anyone else from experimenting but I'd STRONGLY suggest doing a FULL BACKUP of your system disk / partition before applying it. I myself rely on Clonezilla which is open source, available for free and offers a full backup solution that is at the same time relatively easy to use.

As for my .NET Framework combined installer, you don't need to remove the currently installed .NET packages from your system. However, you'll definitely need to apply UURollup-v11 before using this installer. Otherwise there will be a lot of bugs, and .NET Framework 4.0 won't work at all with UURollup-v10. If you do decide to install both UURollup-v11 and the .NET Framework package after that, I just want to warn you that it may take very long time to install all the .NET Frameworks on your Pentium II system. It may literally take a few hours to finish the installation so be prepared to wait :o

Edited by tomasz86

By the way, I'm going to radically speed up the USP 5.2 development. I can't give any specific dates except for the planned update of my website till the end of January. I can say though that USP 5.2 for Windows 2000 is my priority at the moment, before any other possible unofficial updates or packages.

Sounds good. I assume you have checked with harkaz to see if he has come up with anything useful you might can use in new SP creation, methods, or tools? It seems you two have similar goals, just using a different OS.

Cheers and Regards

I've been following what harkaz has been doing very closely :) although I think that he integrates everything manually. I've got a script which I still need to improve. The goal is to make the process 100% automatic. Why? The main reason, apart from the obvious benefits, is that a 100% automatic script will make it possible to prepare such an USP for all language versions of Windows 2000, not only the English one.

My script works for any NT 5.x system but at the moment I'm going to focus on Windows 2000 before everything else. I'll make the script available for everyone once I feel that it's stable and safe to use.

Great! Who knows? You might be able to share something with harkaz that will help him in his project. If it does, then I would imagine that possibly even other folks working on projects for NT5 systems could also benefit such as user_hidden, OnePiece, 5eraph, Kurt_Aust, and maybe others. If it could be made possible to update all the NT5 systems, all versions and languages of Win2K, XP, XP64, 2003, etc, to be more functional and stable with today's software and hardware, then the whole community would be better for it. As you know, I've always been a supporter and fan of yours. Good luck!

Cheers and Regards

Well, I did offer to share the script in his thread but he hasn't contacted me about it so I'm guessing he's not interested (at least at the moment). In the very beginning I'd also relied purely on manual integration but very quickly realised its shortcomings and shortsightedness. A completely automatic script is the only way to be able to easily prepare packages for different languages, and also reduce the probability of human errors. Gurgelmeyer used such an automatic script (but didn't share it with anyone else). OnePiece's Update Pack creator is also automatic so this approach isn't anything new.

I forgot to say though that the script will have to be modified in order to work with x64 (maybe even IA64?) systems. At the moment I've only tested it with x86 in mind. However, all such modifications are scheduled for after the Windows 2000 USP is ready. There are already very good Update Packs for Windows XP and 2003 but nothing updated is available for Windows 2000.

Thank you and everyone else for your support! :thumbup

Edited by tomasz86

By the way, I'm going to radically speed up the USP 5.2 development. I can't give any specific dates except for the planned update of my website till the end of January. I can say though that USP 5.2 for Windows 2000 is my priority at the moment, before any other possible unofficial updates or packages.

I'm willing to test USP 5.2 for you if you decide to release it to beta testers if you choose to go that route before actually releasing it to the public.

Hi everyone. Yesterday I decided to try Tomasz's Windows2000-UURollup-v11-d20131218 and, strange thing, after installation system refused to boot, giving me a halt sign and countdown to reboot with message, telling that services.exe unexpectedly stopped with status code 128. This took place at the time when 'Windows is preparing network connections' startup message was on the background. I managed to boot only after uninstalling this UU Rollup in the safe mode. So the question is - what was it? No viruses, fresh W2K install on the dedicated test machine. Any idea? Or I just have no luck with any 'Powered by extended kernel' updates? Never managed to get BWC's updates to work.

That's it. Hope Tomasz would make it a bit clearer for me.

I remember this but I'm not sure what triggered it. Did you make sure the system was up to date with Update Rollup 2 and Service Pack 4? You might want to try his HF_SLIP compilation and make a new Windows 2000 installation CD with it.

Edited by Tommy

Sure thing! SP4, Rollups - everything was intact. I had tried Tomasz's 'stable' version 10d, and it works fine, but this later one version 11 doesn't. As for BWC's HFSlip compilation, it also never worked for me, I couldn't even install it, installation stopped right after the timezone screen and process hanged. Tried a thousand times with different W2K discs, different F5 HALs (BWC told me to try) - nothing. So sad...