Effect of repair-install on (a) nLite'd XP (b) NON-nLite'd

OldB

This may be wishful thinking that an nLite'd CD could make an Old XP system better but I have searched and as I couldn't see the question asked before...

I have a friend with a 4-year old XP system that has gotten badly clogged-up with WMP, IE8, .Net v1,2,3,4, all the MS monthly updates etc. etc. and he has asked if the PC is possible to "restore" to it's prior performance. It's only a 1.8GHz + 512MB tower but I know that would easily run an nLite'd XP but...

Sadly when I installed XP for him 4 years ago I wasn't using nLite otherwise things MIGHT have been better - it is a FAIRLY bog-standard (I don't know if that translated from UK-English = PLAIN!) XP install and I suspect that the owner has accepted optional updates such as .Net etc. as well as security / critical.

SO - what WOULD be the effect of using an nLite'd XP (Pro) CD to do a repair install on the old system? Would anything end-up being UN-installed? Would any of the Windows-Updates be removed? Would WMP be removed as it isn't in my nLite'd CD?

ALSO - as I have asked the questions above from a "bad" starting point - would the answers be any different if the install HAD been nLite'd with roughly the same options as the CD I have created (-WMP, -.Net etc.)?

I suppose there is a third and final question - if someone used an ordinary (NON-nLite'd CD) to do a repair install then would that make any difference?

I am guessing (/HOPING?!) that someone out there has been using nLite long enough to have been through the repair-install process and can advise... Obviously I don't REALLY want to do a fresh install even though he would get the benefits of nLite'd XP he would have to re-install all of his applications etc..

Many thanks in advance for any feedback / input... BTW If I am asking the wrong question or taking the wrong approach then I am open to any suggestions...

Um... not really sure of the "Is that your final answer", but I'd recommend a Repair Install from an untrammeled (as when it was initially installed), using the same source type (RTL, OEM, etc.) plus SP3 "slipped" (if not already). Have that original key handy (key finders are rife on MSFN and internet)...

Um... not really sure of the "Is that your final answer", but I'd recommend a Repair Install from an untrammeled (as when it was initially installed), using the same source type (RTL, OEM, etc.) plus SP3 "slipped" (if not already). Have that original key handy (key finders are rife on MSFN and internet)...

Sincere apologies - I think I asked too many questions and maybe not the most important. My friend REALLY only wants his XP system to run as fast as it did 4 years ago but without the pain of a fresh XP install.

1. Let's say I uninstall .Net, IE7, WMP, Java, Access/Outlook/Powerpoint (as I am guessing they can only be manually removed) + I remove some AutoRun "stuff"

2. If I THEN do a repair install from an nLite'd, xable'd, SP3 CD - i.e. 2-3 years more up to date than SP3 and "tailored" - will it work at all and if it does - will there be a 'better' XP as a result - less space, faster - any benefits at all?

What was in my head when I made the original post was whether the (#2 above) Re-install process from an *nLite'd* CD in some way would help me with #1 above but having thought about it after your reply - that is pretty doubtful.

I take it from your reply that (if I did a repair-install) "same source" WOULD apply to an n'Lite'd CD - I suppose the other thing I was trying to work out what would happen if the CD had an extra year (say) of xable'd updates - would that work? and if so would that be better?

As far as I remember (and my memory might be wrong since it's been many years since I did a repair install), it's like this:

If the first install was full install with, let's say, WMP not removed, and if you do a repair install with nLited Windows where WMP is removed, after that you will still have WMP.

If the first install was nLited with WMP removed, and you perform repair install of full Windows on top of it, you will still have WMP.

As far as I know, repair install doesn't remove the previous components, except if you go to control panel > add/remove components, but that can be done anyway.

There may be exceptions for some components (that rely on inf's?), but it can also be dangerous to mix inf's. < now this was clear as mud, I know. :}

Edit: and the repair install will do absolutely no change to third party (java, .net, Office) installations, so I don't understand that part of the question...

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

This also assumes that your nLited disc is capable of doing a repair install. Often after modification the disc can only be used for a clean install, not a repair install.

Cheers and Regards

I'm NOT even sure repair install is the answer to your friends problem. I've never done one but I believe repair install fixes a broken XP, it doesn't make a slow PC run faster. Good cleaning and a defrag would. As well as $10 additional RAM. There is not much "benefits of nLited XP", clean (recent) install is the key factor.

edited: NOT sure.

Edited by Ponch

I'm even sure repair install is the answer to your friends problem. I've never done one but I believe repair install fixes a broken XP, it doesn't make a slow PC run faster. Good cleaning and a defrag would. As well as $10 additional RAM. There is not much "benefits of nLited XP", clean (recent) install is the key factor.

Many thanks for that - I think you have confirmed that there is "no magic" during a repair-install that nLite could exploit to alter the base install to become nLite'd.

The PC user isn't a big multi-tasker but you are right to point out that adding a second 512MB of RAM MIGHT be easier than uninstalling .Net, Java etc. although if I can be sure they aren't used I will "get rid" as they are obvious targets for hackers.

If ever I DO have the need to do a repair-install on one of my nLite'd family PCs I will report back what happens when I use a more recent nLite'd CD than the original install - I am assuming THAT would be beneficial.

Just as a last thought - in terms of Cleaning-up an old XP system - can anyone point me at any online guides to the topic - e.g. "can I get rid of all the IE7 updates, is it possible to get rid of WMP, should I use AutorunS and CCleaner (non-aggressive), obviously DeFragging as the last step" etc. - I know this is an nLite forum but obviously the experience and knowledge is here! At this point I wish I had checked the list of boards at msfn.org - apologies...

Thanks again to all who have replied... BR.

1 - Uninstall any/all items like "toolbars" (eg Bing/Google/etc) that "plug into" IE. (if you want to Google Search, enter GOOGLEdotCOM in the Address bar and set as a "favorite" instead)

2 - Turn off "autoupdate" (mainly items like Java - leave WinUpd on if you wish)

3 - Uninstall any UNNECESSARY IM programs

4 - Set any/all NECESSARY IM programs (eg AIM/Yahoo) in Options to "No AutoStart"

5 - Utilize CCleaner and/or Spybot to "disable" unnecessary startup items (research them FIRST)

6 - In "Services", change to Manual or Disabled any items totally unnecessary (research FIRST)

These "eat" CPU/Memory. That should get you on the road...

...finally, DEFRAG after running CCleaner on Temp IE files (and DELETE contents of TEMP folders)!

Thanks for the suggestions - and one of them may make me go back to previous tune-ups that I have done - turning OFF AutoStart WITHIN programs such as IM, Office, Mail, Trays, etc. because even if I stop them with AutoRunS then there is a chance that if/when they are scheduled or manually invoked THEY might RESTORE AutoStart...

I tend to Disable all of those MSIE add-ons - Search, Accelerators, Toolbars and Extensions so that if I remove one that IS being used I can re-enable it - does un-installing free up any more resources because I guess I could do that in a months time if he hasn't missed anything useful!

I once had to restore my own PC from a Ghost image after I disabled quite a few services once (list at blackvipre?) - hence your comment about RESEARCH FIRST. However I think I will have another go - I just looked and it's blackviper.com that I used as a guide is there a better one at msfn.org?

Thanks again for the input... Cheers, BR.

blackviper is pretty much recognized as the go to guy for services.

Thanks for the heads-up - it's difficult to judge reputation nowadays... Maybe THIS time I will make certain that I stick to the SAFE option!!!

The reason I asked here (nLite) is that I am sure that nLite also tailors services - otherwise it wouldn't run in the memory it does...

Cheers,