Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

Secret Service Requests Software To Track Social Media Trends, Detect Sarcasm

How long before they start acting preemptively against individuals based on their speech? "Uh-oh, he has quite an attitude about the King President -- better start monitoring him!!

Sarcasm huh. Well I wish them luck with that for they are going to have a mighty good time trying to crack that one :sneaky:

Yeah. We have enough of a hard time here when people can't tell when jaclaz is using sarcasm. :)

Cheers and Regards

LOL! :D  :ph34r:

--JorgeA

FWIW, when I went to that site I got a warning from Internet Explorer saying that, "Internet Explorer blocked this website from displayhing content with security certificate errors."

--JorgeA

The lengths to which the guvvies will go to hide their activities from the people who pay their salaries:

U.S. Marshals Seize Cops’ Spying Records to Keep Them From the ACLU

A routine request in Florida for public records regarding the use of a surveillance tool known as stingray took an extraordinary turn recently when federal authorities seized the documents before police could release them.

The surprise move by the U.S. Marshals Service stunned the American Civil Liberties Union, which earlier this year filed the public records request with the Sarasota, Florida, police department for information detailing its use of the controversial surveillance tool.

The ACLU had an appointment last Tuesday to review documents pertaining to a case investigated by a Sarasota police detective. But marshals swooped in at the last minute to grab the records, claiming they belong to the U.S. Marshals Service and barring the police from releasing them.

These records "belong" to the U.S Marshals??? (Note to sarcasm detector: ON.) Yeah, right -- show me your receipt. (OFF) The excuse offered later on in the article doesn't pass the laugh test.

This goes to show that the only "transparency" too many of our public servants are truly interested in is that of private citizens' lives. Who's serving whom, exactly?

--JorgeA

I dont know what to say to this. Kind of reminds of the NSA attacks on Tea party members.

+1

Here's somewhat more hopeful news:

Can This Little Orange Box Beat the NSA?

Germans are so weary and irate over allegations of US surveillance of their Chancellor, that they’re ready to back anything that protects them from the all-seeing NSA.

So perhaps it shouldn’t have come as a surprise that it took only three hours and 33 minutes for Protonet, a Hamburg-based startup which has built a “fixed, personal server,” to break a € 1 million funding limit on Seedmatch, a German crowdfunding site. It raised the money so fast that many potential Seedmatch investors didn’t have a chance to throw money at it.

[...]

Protonet deploys 2048 Bit SSL encryption, an extremely hard-to-break, new cyber security industry standard encryption certificate that can be used both in a closed local network and on the Internet. “We don’t offer 100% security—nobody can. What we offer is data sovereignty. I can decide who has access to my data and who has not,” company spokesman Philipp Baumgaertel said.

Once up and running, users can access data on a Protonet server using a computer or mobile device network just as they would a standard cloud service, but since the data never passes through a third party, Protonet claims data will be better protected. The servers run Protonet’s own custom version of Ubuntu Linux and comes with services similar to Skype, Dropbox, and other file-sharing programs. In essence, it works as a closed-circuit server, housed by customers on their own premises, and accessed through an invite-only social cloud.

Curious what you all think of this.

--JorgeA

Great. This reminds me of this new phone case for the iphone that will encrypt messages, and calls. (it will be released soon)

FWIW, when I went to that site I got a warning from Internet Explorer saying that, "Internet Explorer blocked this website from displayhing content with security certificate errors."

--JorgeA

Well, I get the same message on Microsoft sites. So we can give those guys some slack. :P

Judge Orders NSA To Stop Destroying Evidence — For The Third Time

A federal judge has ordered the government to stop destroying National Security Agency surveillance records that could be used to challenge the legality of its spying programs in court.

U.S. District Court Judge Jeffrey White’s ruling came at the request of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, which is in the midst of a case challenging NSA’s ability to surveil foreign citizen’s U.S.-based email and social media accounts.

According to the EFF, the signals intelligence agency and the Department of Justice were knowingly destroying key evidence in the case by purposefully misinterpreting earlier preservation orders by multiple courts, multiple times.

In February, the DOJ asked the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court to keep metadata beyond the five-year retention limit to address pending lawsuits from organizations like EFF and the American Civil Liberties Union, which alleged NSA illegally surveilled their clients.

According to multiple accounts, the DOJ made a purposefully flawed case for keeping such records, fully expecting FISA Court Judge Reggie Walton to forbid such retention. He did, which allowed the DOJ to tell plaintiffs that the evidence of their surveillance had to be destroyed. 

I guess they figure if you scoff at the law enough times, eventually they'll give up and you'll get away with it. The trouble is, the scofflaws here are the same ones who are in charge of enforcing it.

--JorgeA

It's just between you and me and the NSA:

A couple of months ago, we posted one of our early Google Search/Now rumors, and it was something of a long range rumor compared to others. While things like parking reminders, proper timer management, and bill pay reminders have already seen their public release, the ability to set contact-based reminders ("remind me when I'm with this person"), hasn't come forward yet. But it will likely appear very soon with a new feature in Android called Nearby, which will allow new interactions between you and nearby people, places, and things.

[...]

Remember when Google bought Bump? The service used the bumping motion as well as location data to know when two devices wanted to interact. Google also acquired SlickLogin in February, which can use audio, Bluetooth, and WiFi to authenticate. Nearby would wrap up all these techniques without you even touching your device. To protect privacy, the information gathered from these various sources on your device would likely travel to Google, and be matched with others' information there, with only the acknowledgement of proximity being revealed to other devices.

[emphasis added]

The feature holds plenty of potential for new uses:

While it's still early in its life cycle, and settings don't appear to be fully built out yet, it's easy to imagine Nearby coming in handy for extremely targeted Wallet offers, reminders, or other location-based interactions, but the important part here is that a user wouldn't need to interact with their phone or tablet to let other devices (be they mobile or otherwise) know they are around, and switching on Nearby once would allow the functionality to work with all of a user's devices.

Maybe I've been watching too much "24" lately (anybody else following the current season? ;)), but it's not all that hard to imagine what some of those "extremely targeted location-based interactions" might possibly consist of...

--JorgeA

EDIT: missing word!

Edited by JorgeA

Microsoft backtracks on the Xbox One as customers refuse its attempts to take over the lving room:

Gamers to Microsoft: We don't need no stinking ecosystem in our living room

On Monday, Microsoft took the Xbox One, surrounded it with cool new friends, and carefully avoided mentioning any of the interactive services that the Xbox One originally launched with. Phil Spencer, the company’s Xbox chief, made it clear that the company’s E3 keynote in Los Angeles would be about three things: games, games, games.

[...]

Microsoft seemingly forgot that lesson when designing the One. Gamers started glancing at one another during the Xbox One launch, when Don Mattrick, now chief executive of Zynga, began uttering phrases like “harmonizing your experiences” in the living room and “building the future of interactive entertainment”. Gamers wanted to hear the magic word, “games,” and to hear it over and over.

And where have we heard something like this before: :whistle:

Microsoft arguably made the One too many things for too many people, instead of satisfying its core audience of gamers.

Contra  @jaclaz ;) , maybe humanity is NOT necessarily doomed after all.

Resistance is NOT futile...

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

I think it is more that MS had brought that message to the wrong audience. People at E3 are looking for consoles and video games, not those other features the XBox One and the PS4 have. A similar *yawn* occurred during Sony's conference this year (which was boring anyways) when they brought up their Playstation TV product. They should have been selling those products (or those features) at more relevant conferences like CES.

I just realized that I hadn't given the link to the PCWorld article. (Been struggling with posting on MSFN on two different browsers, for different reasons.) Just added the link and hopefully it will provide better context for the quotes.

--JorgeA

I PM'd Charlotte at the end of April, and the message hasn't even been read yet, let alone answered.   :no:

Hoping he can come back, and soon. We miss his contributions all around the Forum, and especially in this thread.

--JorgeA